Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: California considering plan to replace gas tax with charge per mile driven

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Good Lord. Seems the only way out is to leave, but to where?
    Nowhere.

This system is going world wide.

In another 20 years there will not be a square inch of earth that will not be under surveillance.

Comply or Resist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

"I do think that bicyclists need to start paying for the roads they ride on rather than make motorists pay."
    http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar...hwest-20130307
    FFS...

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    This is actually a Libertarian solution.
    Whats happened to you??

First its freaking out that anti-vaccine people are nuts..

then its Vitamin C isnt good for you..

Now its a pay-per-mile tax is libertarian??

Who are you and what have you done with the real Angelatc???

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    Whats happened to you??

First its freaking out that anti-vaccine people are nuts..

then its Vitamin C isnt good for you..

Now its a pay-per-mile tax is libertarian??

Who are you and what have you done with the real Angelatc???
    Isn't it obvious? Lets say the roads were owned by a private owner (libertarian), that owner would allow you to use their roads for a toll or a fee. IT could be a toll road or it could be pay per mile (with new technology this makes traditional toll booth obsolete). This is what is being proposed.

I don't understand what the objection here is Do you think you would get free roads in a libertarian society?
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    Isn't it obvious? Lets say the roads were owned by a private owner (libertarian), that owner would allow you to use their roads for a toll or a fee. IT could be a toll road or it could be pay per mile (with new technology this makes traditional toll booth obsolete). This is what is being proposed.

I don't understand what the objection here is Do you think you would get free roads in a libertarian society?
    The problem is the roads ARENT owned by a private owner.

I dont like it ...but it will be the "norm" in order to tax hydrogen powered cars
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    The problem is the roads ARENT owned by a private owner.
    it still makes sense.

Previously, gas taxes were used to pay for roads/maintenance. However, not all cars use gas anymore, so a per mile/car tax would more accurately represent this so gas cars aren't overly taxed. I'm surprise green California is doing this you would think they want to punish gas users more than elec folks.
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

The government isn't going to surrender the roads. So....

How do you propose we pay for them if not through a gas tax?

I'd also like to see the books audited to show how much of the current tax is being used on roads and how much is being spent on other stuff.

You've got cars going further on less. Cars not using gas at all. Material costs skyrocketing. Gov employees thinking they need more pay.

Unenviable position.

Actually it's pretty stupid. If anything, it should be weight-based.

I can ride 20,000 miles on a crotch-rocket motorcycle and probably do less damage and wear to the road as if I were driving a pickup truck 500 miles.

Which makes me agree with the next poster who implied it has more to do with tracking movement than patching potholes.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Seems fairly free market. Government owns the roads, they charge you to use them (per mile fee). Doesn't that make sense?
    So the government bought the roads with its own money? I think you're missing a vital participant in the transaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They did a huge construction project where I live, and I almost live in the sticks. I see nary a car on this road. I asked this merchant friend if the traffic improved his business, and he said no.

There is no shortage of money now for such things. They just waste it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

The "liberty lovers" that agree with this will change their tune when they come under investigation because GPS shows them in the vicinity of a certain crime. It is just another tool for the government to track everyone's whereabouts. Period. There is, and has always been, enough money to take care of the road system if the revenue collected for it had been spent on it. Instead of...everything else.

If it is NOT about control, why not an odometer check at yearly registration? Oh that's right; maximum revenue extraction and control while allowing the absolute minimum illusions of "freedom" to keep the sheep from turning on their masters.

This is actually just another wrong conclusion.

What crap. Consider this:

"Public concerns, you never get rid of them, they never go away, but you can calm them down if you make the right choices," said James Whitty, who manages the program for the Oregon Department of Transportation.
    No mention of what that really means, given "right" predicates upon the goal in question, which is not stated. It could be any of quite a few things.

Nobody is putting such a device into my vehicle. If they do, I will sheathe it in a Faraday cage. Let's see what they have to say about that.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

This is actually Libertarian liberal solution.
    FTFY
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Current fuel taxes should be enough .If not , you need better employees .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Current fuel taxes should be enough .If not , you need better employees .
    I think the problem is, eletric cars and hybrids don't use or use less gas. So those greenies aren't paying for their "share" of the road. As I mentioned above, considering how "green" California claims to be, I am surprised they are cracking down on greenies, you would think they would have just raised the gas tax on the gas drivers to cover that.

Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

I think the problem is, eletric cars and hybrids don't use or use less gas. So those greenies aren't paying for their "share" of the road. As I mentioned above, considering how "green" California claims to be, I am surprised they are cracking down on greenies, you would think they would have just raised the gas tax on the gas drivers to cover that.
    Oh, come on. You act like the media would talk about the environment 24 hours a day if there was no money in it.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    The "liberty lovers" that agree with this will change their tune when they come under investigation because GPS shows them in the vicinity of a certain crime. It is just another tool for the government to track everyone's whereabouts. Period. There is, and has always been, enough money to take care of the road system if the revenue collected for it had been spent on it. Instead of...everything else.
    THIS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12