Thread: ME - Woman facing stiff fines for building treehouse on her property

Exclamation ME - Woman facing stiff fines for building treehouse on her property

Alna woman ‘shocked’ at size of possible fine for tree house

http://www.wiscassetnewspaper.com/ar...ee-house/46966

The Alna Planning Board is recommending a $1,000 fine for a property owner with a partly built tree house near the Sheepscot River.

Selectmen have the final say on the fine that planning board members said could have been much higher for Lisa Packard, even several thousand dollars more.

State law allows for a fine of $100 to $2,500 for each day a shoreland violation continues, members said. They chose to propose a single fine.

“Considering the uproar that went up in this town, I think this is pretty light,” alternate member Jeff Spinney said Monday night.

The board voted 5-0 Monday to recommend selectmen levy the fine.

As proposed, Packard, of 91 Dock Road, would have to pay at least half the fine and might be able to work off some or all of the remaining $500, in service to the town.

Applying service toward the fine would be up to selectmen to consider, planning board members told Packard.

The minimum $500 payment stemmed from members’ estimate on the town’s costs for multiple meetings.

Packard said she had hoped for no fine; she is working to address the issue, and she pays higher taxes for shoreland property, she told planning board members.

“I guess I’m sad. I’m shocked at how steep it is,” Packard said about the fine that board members were mulling. “I made an error and I’m here and I’m following through.”

Packard questioned what problems a tree house poses for the river.

The board can’t treat a shoreland infraction differently because the structure is a tree house, Board Chairman Doug Baston told Packard.

“We can’t make qualitative judgments,” Baston said.

Board members continued to express their surprise that neither Packard, who works in environmental education, nor the carpenter building the tree house, asked the town first.

“Doing what you do for a living, it’s hard to believe that one of you didn’t at least have an inkling that you needed permission,” member Sean Day said.

“There really isn’t any reason that you shouldn’t have known that the rivers in Maine are sacrosanct,” Baston said.

Packard recently declined to tell the board who the carpenter was. (Well, good for her, at least she didn't ray him out. - AF) She has said he was a Somerville man staying in a cabin on her property to be nearer his children.

He had been building the tree house for his daughters for Christmas, she said. The use of the cabin has also come under scrutiny.

A court order issued years before Packard bought the property bars the cabin from being lived in. The carpenter is no longer staying there, Packard has said.

In a Jan. 7 letter, Alna Code Enforcement Officer Stan Waltz asks Packard to acknowledge that the cabin can only be used for sitting or reading. In a Jan. 9 response, Packard writes that it will only be used for sitting, reading, writing and resting.

Packard’s letter offers a Feb. 8 date for her to submit a site plan for tree plantings in place of dead ones that officials said were removed without the town’s permission; the tree house will come down by the same date, according to the letter.

But with this week’s snow melt, Packard told the planning board on Monday she may be able to get it down sooner.

Baston said he would meet with selectmen when they take up the planning board’s recommendation on the fine.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

“I guess I’m sad. I’m shocked at how steep it is,” Packard said about the fine that board members were mulling. “I made an error and I’m here and I’m following through.”
    Get off your knees for heaven's sake lady.

Packard recently declined to tell the board who the carpenter was. (Well, good for her, at least she didn't ray him out. - AF) She has said he was a Somerville man staying in a cabin on her property to be nearer his children.

He had been building the tree house for his daughters for Christmas, she said. The use of the cabin has also come under scrutiny.
    "Aww, that's sweet. Too $#@!ing bad for you anyway, get yer $#@! and get out. This ain't your property and it ain't her property. It's MY property."

A court order issued years before Packard bought the property bars the cabin from being lived in. The carpenter is no longer staying there, Packard has said.

In a Jan. 7 letter, Alna Code Enforcement Officer Stan Waltz asks Packard to acknowledge that the cabin can only be used for sitting or reading. In a Jan. 9 response, Packard writes that it will only be used for sitting, reading, writing and resting.
    LOL. Pretty sure I would have told Arbeitsleiter Waltz where he could stick his letter, along with his order.

Packard’s letter offers a Feb. 8 date for her to submit a site plan for tree plantings in place of dead ones that officials said were removed without the town’s permission; the tree house will come down by the same date, according to the letter.
    I pray this $#@! never happens to me. I find that the older I get, the less I am interested in remaining calm and cool.

“There really isn’t any reason that you shouldn’t have known that the rivers in Maine are sacrosanct,” Baston said.
    Oh, clearly. It's also quite clear that private property is not.

Code enforcement officer?

WTF is that and what type of citizenry pays for such an affront?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Code enforcement officer?

WTF is that and what type of citizenry pays for such an affront?

Code Enforcement–A Revenue Scam

What kind of stuff does code enforcement do? Take your money, destroy your life savings (if you have any), destroy the “peaceful enjoyment” of your private property, drive you into the poor house, take your property and destroy your health. On and on it goes and where does it end…it doesn’t. The town, the developers and the attorneys all work together to pick your pockets. Why? Because the master plan aka UN Agenda 21 dictates that owning private property must be abolished. Of course, except for the handful of people who rule over us. Oh yes, they have many minions shills working for them (some see the big picture, some don’t), but they are just useful idiots and will be discarded eliminated when they are no longer useful. This plan would never get to first base if there was not a cabal controlling the money who were able to bribe politicians to create laws that benefit their agenda.
    So, what kinds of code violations are people cited for? Anything from A-Z such as: boats that don’t even belong to you, harboring insects, flying flags, brooms left on your front-porch, your grass is one inch too tall, having a permitted trailer in your driveway, having a permit that the town loses, having two cars in your driveway and one of them belongs to your son whose name is not on the property deed, and on and on...

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Can't build a tree house on property. Check
    Pay fines, or fookin' work off a fine, for building a tree house on property. Check
    Can't sublet let some one on property. Check.

Whose property is it?
    Last edited by phill4paul; 01-25-2015 at 08:39 AM. Reason: "Guest" wasn't even subletting.

What all the fuss is over....

Packard did not ask to keep the tree house up, but she asked what the board’s concern was about it. It’s a man-made intrusion into a sensitive area, board member Peter Tischbein said.

Not enforcing the rules could lead other property owners to question why they can’t build next to the river, members said.
    Oh, and about that cabin.....

The cabin was the subject of scrutiny long before Packard bought the property in 2014. A prior owner, Myles Jordan, built it to practice the cello, Baston said. In 2005, a Superior Court justice put restrictions on the cabin’s use, including bans on plumbing and use as a single-family home, according to a court order the town has on file.

Justice Donald Marden also ordered Jordan to pay Alna a $2,000 fine, according to the document.
    http://www.wiscassetnewspaper.com/ar...6276?source=mp

Whose property is it?
    Last edited by phill4paul; 01-25-2015 at 08:45 AM.

I don't think there is enough rope in the world to fix this problem

Must build more rope factories...

-t

looks like it would have been a cool tree house though!

The board also briefly discussed tree stumps Waltz said were on Packard’s property. Only dead trees were taken down, so he doesn’t think the cutting is an issue, he said.
    http://www.wiscassetnewspaper.com/ar...6276?source=mp

Whose property is it?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Not yours, Mundane.

Now, move along.

That's ok mistakes happen. After $1000 fine you'll know better next time.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    I don't think there is enough rope in the world to fix this problem

Must build more rope factories...
    Yet another reason to promote the hemp industry ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Yet another reason to promote the hemp industry ...
    The bastards whom this thread addresses are undeserving of high quality American hemp rope, might I suggest they be strung up using cheap foreign imports manufactured from petroleum byproducts?

The minimum $500 payment stemmed from members’ estimate on the town’s costs for multiple meetings.
    So she had to pay for the town to meet to discuss how they were going to "punish" her for using her property in a way that she wanted. Oh ok
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Nothing says Freedom like outlawing everything
    I make videos at my YouTube channel. Home of my aquaponics diary. Feel free to subscribe, thumbs up, comment or leave nasty messages, I love them all.

Yeah, I bitcoin! And I love donations!! 1Fs2JaaWVhp69yvUxuTnofomowejZLuMru