Thread: This Guy Will Blow Your Mind With His Sick Archery Skills

This Guy Will Blow Your Mind With His Sick Archery Skills

WOW! I just bought my kids some arrows for Christmas, maybe I'll get out there and work on my skills.

This video is nearly six minutes long. I understand that asking you, dear reader, to watch a six-minute video of some dude doing archery tricks in his garage and the woods by his house is a tall order, but you need to do this. You need to watch Lars Andersen, master of ancient and long-forgotten bow skills, do his damn thing.

You're hesitant, I can tell. But how do you feel about a guy demonstrating the inefficiency of the back quiver via staged, infomercial-style bloopers? How do you feel about Lars repeatedly crediting his archery skills to his study of "ancient manuscripts?" Would you like to watch my man Lars rollerblade past an array of targets, deftly pinging each one with a precision-guided arrow?

What if I told you that the motherfucker jumps into the air, catches an arrow that was fired at him by another archer, and then fires that arrow back before he hits the ground? At one point, he spins around and fires an arrow straight through another arrow that had just been fired at his back. Watch the video!

http://deadspin.com/this-glorious-go...ick-1681361881

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Impressive
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Holy crap!!!!!!!! At 1:57 he threw a pop tab and hit it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am impress!!
    I have practice to do. I cannot split and incoming arrow with an arrow let alone start off by not looking until the first arrow is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Nothing says Freedom like outlawing everything
    I make videos at my YouTube channel. Home of my aquaponics diary. Feel free to subscribe, thumbs up, comment or leave nasty messages, I love them all.

Yeah, I bitcoin! And I love donations!! 1Fs2JaaWVhp69yvUxuTnofomowejZLuMru

I'm into archery and I own several replicas of historical bows. Quite different bows from what this guy is using. Although he's really skilled at what he's doing it's totally different from the war archery I know, not judging if it's better or not. He's obviously a better shot than me.

The bows I shoot are English warbows, longbows with very heavy arrows and even heavier draw weights. Long range weapons essentially although it's easier to hit something at short range, no problem with that, but the immense draw weight make these fast shooting techniques impossible. We did find that laying the arrow up on the 'wrong' side of the bow is the way to go because it allows you to get it on the string faster. My shooting club wasn't too fond of this, they thought it was a dangerous method so I never really got to try it out apart from on the odd pasture (which I have a lot of around here). I don't think they would like the speed-shooting while holding more arrows in your hand either.

I do shoot 'instinctively' with both eyes open, kind of like shooting from the hip. The weird thing is, I never aim but right before I'd release the arrow I know exactly where it's going to hit. Too late to change anything about it but subconsciously my mind has already figured out the trajectory.. This is where training comes in, it all becomes part of muscle memory.

Now that I work with wood all the time I should try and make a recurved shortbow like he has... I'm kind of eager to see if I can do anything like it! Not my cup of tea but I like what he does with it, I do think it's a LOT lower in draw weight than what I'm used to (I think 30-40lbs, mine are 100-120lbs) and honestly I think they used something slightly more powerful in actual warfare.

Loved the video though!
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 01-23-2015 at 02:32 PM.
    "I am a bird"

Testing
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Amazing! So useful to be able to hit your target while you are moving.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Dude's not even wearing safety glasses for that last trick.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I saw this on the dailypaul the other day. It's pretty kick ass. I want to be a bad ass like that. Where can I get a cheap, yet decent, bow?

"Booyah!"

6 six year old Logan "Bowshootin" Miller

Quote Originally Posted by westkyle View Post
    I saw this on the dailypaul the other day. It's pretty kick ass. I want to be a bad ass like that. Where can I get a cheap, yet decent, bow?
    Used is your only option and the folks tied into the archery scene will snatch up anything that's going cheap rather quickly...

There's an old saying;

Good

Cheap

Fast

Pick two............

Quote Originally Posted by westkyle View Post
    I've got good news and bad news, decent stuff actually costs money (the bad news). The good news is that the kind of bow this guy uses in the video is a composite recurve shortbow, these happen to be on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to price.

http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/ragim-48-taiga.html

UK shop but a lot of bows are made in the UK. Something like that would be pretty decent to start with. Don't start with more than 30lbs or you will learn the wrong technique because you try to cope with the heavier draw weight.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    Was just about to post this. I guess the man is not really not much of a pioneer after all. Making up history to debunk so called Hollywood myths that weren't really myths.

I remember when my Mother bought my brother a BB gun he begged for. All he did was shoot me in the ass with it---until one day--that BB gun disappeared and was never found again.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    I remember when my Mother bought my brother a BB gun he begged for. All he did was shoot me in the ass with it---until one day--that BB gun disappeared and was never found again.
    I've gotta chime in on your brothers behalf and spout off about the broad side of a barn.....

Duck-n-run!