Thread: Are Navy SEALs like Chris Kyle a bunch of psychopaths?

Are Navy SEALs like Chris Kyle a bunch of psychopaths?

Laurence M. Vance:

From someone who read my post, “Newt Gingrich Reminds Us Why We Loathe Him”:

You state that “he killed for his bloated ego, not to defend the United States.” I actually think it is easier than that.
    I spent six years as a Naval Special Warfare Intelligence Analyst. “Special Warfare” here being an euphemism for SEAL. No, I wasn’t a SEAL, but, as the “job” title implies, I supported these whack jobs. I am also currently writing my dissertation in Depth Psychology and the deleterious effects of war on the human soul. I mention the above two snippets of history only to support what I am going to say next.

The sad reality is that most of the special operations types are psychopaths, or “sociopaths” (because we wouldn’t want to offend the delicate little flowers by “negative labels”) in the clinical sense of the word. You are right…most of them really enjoy killing…more so, they love the “juice” of being in combat, of sneaking around doing dangerous things, manipulating people, etc. etc. I have a friend who is an NCIS agent…he tells me it is a full-time job keeping tabs on these jokers and bailing them out of trouble in the civilian towns around the bases… I guess what I’m saying is that it’s not a bloated ego that they are killing for…it is just fun (for them) to remorselessly manipulate, torture and kill for its own sake.

Posted with permission.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't think it's a requirement to get the job. But I'm sure it helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

There is nothing special or honorable or dignified about being a soldier (first test is to see how many would do the job with only food and shelter as payment). And to love the violence and power that comes with that job is dishonorable and evil. There is a time and place for war, but there is also a proper manner and mindset by which one should go about it.

Tao Te Ching verse 31

Weapons are the tools of violence;
    all decent men detest them.

Weapons are the tools of fear;
    a decent man will avoid them
    except in the direst necessity
    and, if compelled, will use them
    only with the utmost restraint.
    Peace is his highest value.
    If the peace has been shattered,
    how can he be content?
    His enemies are not demons,
    but human beings like himself.
    He doesn't wish them personal harm.
    Nor does he rejoice in victory.
    How could he rejoice in victory
    and delight in the slaughter of men?

He enters a battle gravely,
    with sorrow and with great compassion,
    as if he were attending a funeral.
    The proper use of force and violence is high art. Men who use it ignorantly or to gain power only harm themselves.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

War creates several kinds of people. It definitely returns the mind of many to a primal state, and men do some unimaginable things to each-other.

http://www.amazon.com/With-Old-Breed.../dp/0891419195

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Isn't Ventura a Navy Seal?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    No, he's a pet detective.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    No, he's a pet detective.
    More like an Easter seal.

I would say yes.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Well when the Chris Kyle punching Ventura story broke there were some people here claiming Ventura wasn't a SEAL because the term "SEAL" wasn't used yet. Regardless, I suppose those who were cheering on Chris Kyle for supposedly punching Ventura are a wee bit embarrassed now that Chris Kyle has been proven to be a liar and/or a psychopathic killer. I say "and/or" because if the story Chris Kyle told about shooting 30 looters is true then he should have been charged with murder. But all of the facts seem to indicate that he was lying once again. I really feel sorry for him.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Yes. At least most military member are there for a paycheck and something to do. These guys enjoy killing. That's why they sit in the position they do in the first place.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

I know a couple of Seals who are good guys, but certainly more "aggressive" than your average man.

First off, the "anonymous" emailer to Mr Vance OpSec sucks. Enough information in there that it took just a couple of minutes with the right search terms to ID and locate "him". If you want to be anonymous don't email Mr Vance to become click-hitter bait.

As psychopathic-killer-sniper-soldiers go, this one was a shadow of historical ones. Take Timothy Murphy, Native American exterminationist (formerly known as frontiersman) and killer of both Sir Francis Clerke and General Fraiser at the Battle of Saratoga using very foul and thoroughly un-British methods.

Life and Adventures of Timothy Murphy

In a hundred years no one will remember a specific encounter in one of the many clashes in Asia Minor, let alone those individuals who fought in them.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    I know a couple of Seals who are good guys, but certainly more "aggressive" than your average man.
    A real war would humble them a bit. The United States hasn't seen one in 60 years.
    Last edited by FloralScent; 01-23-2015 at 07:32 AM.

Being a psychopath has nothing to do with being a Navy SEAL.

I've known a number of Navy SEAL members. I was stationed in Coronado, a few miles north of the SEAL Training Facility, so they used to come to our bars on North Island (Coronado) to drink all the time. Their egos were astoundingly huge, but their hearts were even bigger. They arent the Psychopaths that worry me. The ones that do are the ones that are willing to ruin the entire world for their financial gain, and they hide the immorality of their own actions through heavy rationalizations and layer upon layer of pathology to the point these true monsters actually think they are doing something good for the world by blowing it all up.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Damian hit it and I'm repless.....

Agree with Damien about their big hearts & ego's.

I guess this thread is supposed to sh$t on Seals, but I don't feel that way @ all.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    Men who use it ignorantly or to gain power only harm themselves.
    Would that this were true...
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Would that this were true...
    Speaking spiritually.

1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

I don't agree with the OP.

but here's food for thought. Think about the training that one has to go through and complete to become a SEAL. Why do you think they have around 90% dropout rate? You have to be someone capable of completely closing off your emotion and endure extreme situations of physical and emotional endurance for very long periods of time. Often without sleep, food, warmth.....all while people are telling you to quit and beating you down verbally. This goes on for roughly 1/2 a calender year.

You have to be changed somewhat from that and if you did border on psycopathy, you just took another step in being able to turn it all off
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Anyone who would kill on the order of a politician has at least one major screw loose. I once viewed military service as honorable, but in any recent war, under any recent President, I don't see how there can be anything honorable at all about it. Killing the wrong people for the wrong reasons, there's no honor in that at all, no matter who much pomp and ceremony it may be festooned with.

Yeah, I don't think so. Who doesn't love sneaking around doing dangerous stuff? I mean, doesn't always involve killing people. Chris Kyle comes off like a psychopath in his book, so I suppose all people like him are psychopaths regardless of what they do. A large portion of this rests in individual motivation. But I still believe what Tolstoy said about war was true. Imagine their potential as tools of marque and reprisal, which is certainly not how they are used today (but how are they used today?)

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.