Thread: Democrats to Fight Obama on Secret Trade Deal Authorization

Democrats to Fight Obama on Secret Trade Deal Authorization

U.S. President Barack Obama (C) meets with the leaders of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) countries in Beijing November 10, 2014.
    (Reuters/Kevin Lamarque)

President Barack Obama may be looking for the new Republican-controlled Congress to grant him authority to fast-track negotiations over a pair of international trade deals, but critical Democrats are fighting back against the measure.

Congress knows little about the specifics of the Trans-Pacific Partnership Free Trade Agreement (TPP) trade deal between 12 Asia-Pacific countries, but President Obama used his State of the Union speech to push Congress to support a fast-track vote on the deal. Obama said the deal is necessary “to sell more American products overseas.”

If the Republican-led Congress votes to give fast-track authority to the president, it means lawmakers can only vote up or down on the trade deal when it is presented, with no chance to add amendments. And only after fast-track authority is approved will congressional members get to see what is in the deal.

For example, the Permanent Normal Trade Relations pact with China was supposed to create hundreds of thousands of US jobs, but instead led to the loss of 3.2 million. Proponents said that the North American Free Trade Agreement would create 200,000 US jobs, but instead it cost 1 million, while the Korea Free Trade agreement, also promoted as a job creator, instead led to the loss of more than 50,000.

Continued - Democrats to Fight Obama on Secret Trade Deal Authorization

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's hoping the congressional democrats will win this one and that Rand will stand with them.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Here's hoping the congressional democrats will win this one and that Rand will stand with them.
    There are only a handful of Democrats opposing the passing of the thing without seeing what is in it. The rest of them pretty much go along with the old pass it so we can see what is in it gag.

Headline is misleading.

Obama said the deal is necessary “to sell more American products overseas.”
    Exactly the same excuse was offered in support of mercantilism - and then imperialism.

And if mercantilism and imperialism were good for trade, why, then, something like the TPP must surely be doubleplusgood for it ...

Congress knows little about the specifics of the Trans-Pacific Partnership Free Trade Agreement (TPP) [... O]nly after fast-track authority is approved will congressional members get to see what is in the deal.
    Yet there are those (even here at RPFs) who will assure us that the TPP is nevertheless indeed a net boon for free trade.

Because, you know - some stuff will end up being traded that might not have been otherwise. In the end, that's all that really matters, amirite?

And just you never mind what is actually in the deal. After all, it says "free trade" right there in the title ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Yet there are those (even here at RPFs) who will assure us that the TPP is nevertheless indeed a net boon for free trade.
    Yeah, I might be one of those... My problem with the deal has nothing to do with the trade proposals. It's the sovereignty issues that concern me. Oh, and the extension of IP privileges. I'd like to see the final details of those before I cast my judgement on it. I don't trust the selective mid-stream leaks.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire