Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 is a free upgrade for all 7 and 8.1 users

Windows 10 is a free upgrade for all 7 and 8.1 users

Wondering how much Windows 10 will set you back? In most cases, nothing. Microsoft has announced that the new operating system will be a free upgrade in the first year for everyone using Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows Phone 8.1. The company sees Windows as a service rather than a product, Terry Myerson explains. Yes, Microsoft is partly following in Apple's footsteps (OS X upgrades have been free since Mavericks), but it's hard to complain about getting a big update for free.

Update: During a Q&A session after the event, Myerson promised that Windows RT users would get an upgrade to 10 as well. Your Surface 2 won't be left high and dry!
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/21/w...=rss_truncated

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Anyone ever hear anything else about that keylogger that reported your strokes thingamabob that was said to be a default kind of thing built into Windows 10? "To serve us better", I think it was...

I'll say this, though, reckless consumers who always seem to need "helping" with everything have been the biggest enabler for a lot of the crap that the country faces these days.

I think I'll upgrade my Windows 8 computer to Linux.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

They couldn't pay me..

But ya, MacOS did the same thing with their latest version Yosemite (I primarily run linux)
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Here is the other thread where that keylogger thing was mentioned... Windows 10 Will Be Free for Personal Users‏

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    I was considering that but from what I've read it seems like a pain in the rear end. Beyond not being supported in many instances.

recommended: Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon x64 http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=172
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I was considering that but from what I've read it seems like a pain the rear end. Beyond not being supported in many instances.

not true. most main distros have support forums like our forum here. Most questions you'll have is easily searchable in google. I do a lot of terminal. But I also do a lot of google to. Its a learning process. The Latest Mint is very easy to handle, and requires no terminal knowledge to use.
    and with the advancement of WINE, I can also play any window based game I want. Though, because of Valve most games are now Debian fork compatible. (they list it as SteamOS, but that is really just debian)

You also need to know that LTS stands for Long Term Support. Meaning, if you are using that version, it is in the linux safe and stable zone, and has plenty of online support.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    and once you get into Linux, this website will be a fun place to visit: http://distrowatch.com/

oh, speaking of SteamOS, I see a new beta is out: http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08767
    It really is meant as a console type install. So I don't recommend it for desktop PC use.

This reminds me that I need to try running Linux from a CD or thumbdrive again. Couldn't make it work last year. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I was considering that but from what I've read it seems like a pain in the rear end. Beyond not being supported in many instances.
    What's a pain in the rear end is the new bios that makes dual booting difficult. I figured out how to do that once then got distracted. But as a software developer I chaff under Windows. I've got to bite the bullet at some point.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

What's a pain in the rear end is the new bios that makes dual booting difficult. I figured out how to do that once then got distracted. But as a software developer I chaff under Windows. I've got to bite the bullet at some point.
    I tried setting this here win8 do-hicky to dual boot with win7, to no avail. The best answer I've gotten is that the firmware doesn't allow dual boots anymore. :'(
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I think that if I ever did try Linux that I'd probably just go buy a blank hard drive and install only Linux on it. Seems like the best way.

I think that if I ever did try Linux that I'd probably just go buy a blank hard drive and install only Linux on it. Seems like the best way.

Most flavors have live distros. Just grab a live disc and you'll be using linux in as long as it takes to boot. You can try it out without installing, so its pretty noncommittal. Put it on a thumb drive and you can take it almost anywhere.

I'm so busy these days that I seldom have to work on the computers of friends and family, but I still carry around a bootable thumb drive with a lightweight linux distro and many useful utilities. I should probably update it (~2008) but that's a handy thing to have sometimes.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Anyone ever hear anything else about that keylogger that reported your strokes thingamabob that was said to be a default kind of thing built into Windows 10? "To serve us better", I think it was...

I'll say this, though, reckless consumers who always seem to need "helping" with everything have been the biggest enabler for a lot of the crap that the country faces these days.
    That was a limited release for researchers only.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    This reminds me that I need to try running Linux from a CD or thumbdrive again. Couldn't make it work last year. :/
    For USB live os try either TAILS Linux or Porteus

Chester Copperpot

the main reason I dont use Linux is because I need to use Microsoft FoxPro and I dont think theres any linux compatible version.. that and Windows 8 now plays the old Axi & Allies CD from 1998.. lol...

Of course Id prefer to NOT use windows for privacy reasons.

Chester Copperpot

um screw this upgrade.. sounds like its free for the first year then its going to cost money every year... sorry.. for me an OS is NOT a service.. its a product.. and i only buy it one time

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    the main reason I dont use Linux is because I need to use Microsoft FoxPro and I dont think theres any linux compatible version..
    In late 2002, it was demonstrated that Visual FoxPro can run on Linux under the Wine Windows compatibility suite. In 2003, this led to complaints by Microsoft: it was claimed that the deployment of runtime FoxPro code on non-Windows machines violates the End User License Agreement
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_FoxPro
    It hasn't been updated since 2005.

and windoze EULA is one of the reasons that I hate windoze.

And though is is not something I use or am familiar with,, here is an alternative you might look at.
    http://www.openxava.org/ate/foxpro-alternative
    Last edited by pcosmar; 01-22-2015 at 07:54 AM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Have fun with the BIOS

-t

Linux is ok, but a lot of the features/usability/interface design are about 8 years behind Windows. It does have some advantages compared to Windows for a certain group of people. but definitely not mainstream I think.
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    Linux is ok, but a lot of the features/usability/interface design are about 8 years behind Windows. It does have some advantages compared to Windows for a certain group of people. but definitely not mainstream I think.
    Did you just step out of 2002 ?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Did you just step out of 2002 ?
    No kidding.
    There is no one feature/usability/interface design in linux. Everything is grab-bag.
    That's its inherent blessing and also curse. It's a blessing because if something doesn't work the way you like, in most cases you actually have options.
    It's a curse if you're the type of person who LIKES being spoon-fed the one interface. You actually have to do some homework.

Distrowatch isn't the site for after you get into it: it's the starting point. HB, go there and pick 3 or 4 different distros and try each of them.
    Some of them won't recognize your wifi card. Most of them will. If you get one of the ones that didn't, don't attribute this to a Linux problem - move on to the next distro.
    They're all identical under the hood - the only difference is stuff like the tires.

There's a reason why everyone who gets into Linux eventually learns the command line interface: it's the one interface that's relatively consistent across every version.

Windows 8 now plays the old Axi & Allies CD from 1998..

I was just playing XCOM on DOSBox running on Linux Mint last night.

But as a software developer I chaff under Windows.

You haven't really coded until you've coded in vim.
    No mouse intervention whatsoever. You can copy an entire function from one file and paste it in another without using the mouse, and it's actually faster.
    26 different named buffers. Picture being able to ctrl-c and then ctrl-c something else and having them separate for you.
    Regular expressions built into all search and replace functions.

Man, I miss it.....
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is Windows 10 service pack 2 scheduled yet?

Windo$e giving anything away free makes me suspicious. I'm not interested.

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post

Way off. Linux has made leaps.
    That statement could be made about 8 years ago, but now, there is little i can't do in linux.
    in fact, my themes, eye candy, gaming, multimedia, media serving etc, all handled by linux now.
    I am proof of concept. I bring a laptop around to demo to customers, as they pay my company a huge amount of money to clean virus from their windows machines, as they sit there unable to send or recieve email because they were blacklisted by mx exchanges list because their windows farm became a spam bot farm.
    At that moment, when AT&T notifies them that these bots only infect windows machines, so if you don't use windows machines, you may have someone unauthorized on their wifi.
    I laugh.

If I build a windows network, its inside VMWARE and I give the image a douche daily.

the main reason I dont use Linux is because I need to use Microsoft FoxPro and I dont think theres any linux compatible version.. that and Windows 8 now plays the old Axi & Allies CD from 1998.. lol...

Of course Id prefer to NOT use windows for privacy reasons.
    hell yeah! loved axis and allies. I have my laptop able to triple boot. Ubuntu, Windows, and Kali

I think Linux lags behind mostly in gaming, but it's always catching up. Valve offering Steam helps.

Otherwise, I've enjoyed using Linux or BSD. The trade off is worth it for stability and being virtually Virus Free. I'm interning now at a PC Shop where people bring in their Windows disaster machines and it reminds me all the time of the bull$#@! I don't have to deal with.

It's true that there is a learning curve in Linux though. I often have to jump through a few hoops to get Wireless Cards to work, but most mainstream Linux Distro have the community plus their Wiki Documentation. My HP Mini 210 is now running Arch Linux with Broadcom 4312 wireless working thanks to the driver in the Arch User Repo. (NOTE: I do not recommend Arch or Manjaro for beginners)

I recommend Live CDs or USBs or trying VirtualBox to test run Linux distros. When I run these operating systems, I feel more like I take ownership of my computer without any EULA bull$#@!.

um screw this upgrade.. sounds like its free for the first year then its going to cost money every year... sorry.. for me an OS is NOT a service.. its a product.. and i only buy it one time
    Thought I'd share since I looked this up after your comment:Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription
    http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-win...-subscription/
    Myerson clarified that Windows 10 users will still get free updates and support for the lifetime of the OS, exactly like past versions of Windows (like XP and Windows 7's Service Packs, for example). There's no subscription model for updates or support or continuing to use the OS. Myerson's reference to Windows "as a service" simply meant that Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs.
    A year after Windows 10 is first available, it will no longer be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users. Microsoft will then sell Windows 10 the same way it has sold past versions of Windows. MS hasn't set a specific price yet, but Myerson said the price will likely be comparable to past versions of Windows. Windows 8 costs $120 on Amazon, for instance.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast