Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writing a Science Fiction Epic. ? for astronomy science enthusiasts.

Writing a Science Fiction Epic. ? for astronomy science enthusiasts.

I'm writing a science fiction epic. Eventually to be a series of 10 or 12 novels, I'm starting with book 3. Long story short the idea is the last book in the epic is like a keystone that ties the entire thing together. As much as possible I want them to seem totally separate until they are all tied together, and the 'keystone' book to not look like it was intended to tie everything together (it just does) it should work fine as a standalone.

All of that is years in the future, of course. For the moment I'm talking about book 3, the first book I'm writing.

So, I'm hoping to contend for the Prometheus Award (Libertarian Futurist) and I'm shooting for a style that is as space-opera as Heinlein, and as hard science as Asimov, and yet one of my first decisions is stylistic rather than scientific. I'm posting to maybe get some input on this weird decision I am making to see if it makes as much sense to you as it does to me.

A big part of this book is focused on the moons of Saturn. Of course, by far the most interesting moon of Saturn, is Titan. Titan would be far and away the best setting for a mining colony because of it's fascinating makeup. However, Titan has been done to death in science fiction. EVERY doggone body in science fiction does Titan. So I'm looking at Iapetus.

Iapetus is mostly water ice, but being tidal locked it does something weird that no other moon does. It's swept up ring debris on one side, and ice-sublimated such that the leading edge is brown-almost-black with hydrogen-cyanide plastics, and the trailing edge is almost pure white with water ice. There isn't much to mine there.

So, a survey mission sends a slew of probes down to the surface, and I need to discover something that makes it worth it to mine Iapetus. I'm thinking because of it's non-hydrostatic configuration (very unusual) I can 'discover' core-material near the surface that contains some material worth mining, as well as something other than hydrogen-cyanide in the ring debris. That way one mining station can have two operations. One surface-scraping operation to collect something from the sublimated ring debris, and another drilling operation to collect something from the core material.

My question is, what can you think of valuable to discover on Iapetus, and do you think it's too much effort to do Iapetus just to be different from every other freaking sci fi author who always does Titan?

Thanks!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Start with book one. We don't need anymore Star Wars-level confusion, lol

My initial thoughts are that the dark coloration of Iapetus results from materials ejected from Phoebe due to the impacts that created the Phoebe ring. This makes sense, given the albedo of Phoebe and the albedo of the dark side of Iapetus, and the commonality between hydrogen cyanides. If Phoebe is a captured Kuiper belt object, then I'm looking at iron-bearing minerals, bound water, trapped carbon dioxide, silicates, organics, nitriles and cyanide compounds.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    Book one is kinda boring though. It details the downfall of a planetary libertarian utopia.

Book 1
    2140 a world at peace. The achievement of political liberty ushers in the most profound era of peace and prosperity in human history. Heros of liberty become more than legend, even quasi-gods (as in, problematic idolatry) and eventually the idea of liberty becomes more important than actual liberty. Seduced by comfort and complacency liberty is eroded atom by atom every piece waiting until the people have forgotten. And the leviathan grows again.
    Book 1 will only be interesting after books 3 and 2 are written.

There won't be any Star Wars like confusion, as they are all far enough apart that the same people will not be in different books.

Here is my outline for the epic, to give you an idea what I'm talking about:

Book 1[2140 a world at peace. The achievement of political liberty ushers in the most profound era of peace and prosperity in human history. Heros of liberty become more than legend, even quasi-gods (as in, problematic idolatry) and eventually the idea of liberty becomes more important than actual liberty. Seduced by comfort and complacency liberty is eroded atom by atom every piece waiting until the people have forgotten. And the leviathan grows again.]

Book 2
    [2562 the rise of the despots. A powerful new brand of psychological totalitarianism infects large population masses to form almost complete collective consciences (aided by total communitied media immersion) the world transforms into zombies and freemen. nominally at peace the despots are content with their zombies and don't usually bother the freemen unless they 'get out of line' or cause trouble with the zombies. A few hundred years and the freemen are hated, hunted, and enslaved or murdered. The last fascist wedge is to hate the freemen who rejected it all.]

Book 3
    [In 3021 the world overcome with cellular multinational totalitarian despotisms, like the evolution of sponges forms into a single global totalitarian despotic organism, eventually making the complete confederacy of despots official in a global pact. Secret multi trillionaires in a rich community of the remnants of freemen quietly disguise sleeper ship operations as solar system mining operations. The freemen early began to take to the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, the lithium mines on Mars. As long as they kept sending value down the gravity well they were allowed to keep breathing. Space became political banishment for being freedom minded, but earthbound corporations owned everything. A few secretly libertarian trillionaires (in a wink and a handshake society) pool resources to hide sleeper colony ships from EarthGov and form an entire hidden libertarian society even out in space to hide from the watchers, organized to fill the sleeper ships and leave for suitable planets. On the day that the confederacy of total despotism is signed, 75% of all the spacers disappeared. Around 200 libertarians left on earth sent a message "we are the last spark of freedom, and we will either live or die with the human race" and blow themselves up taking half of every capitol in the world with them. New Human Dark Ages. The despots were hardly affected by the loss of their capitols, and they used the event as a watchword against freedom. Although the scrutiny was insane they only knew that every freedom minded person left or killed themselves. They did not know that a remnant remained, buried like Zion in the Matrix. A pretty large remnant, with a 100 year plan.]

Book4
    [3594 Barbarians At The Gate. About 7 billion (out of 12Bn) people go stark, raving mad. despotic injustices and political oppression become too much and the people just lose it. Only, it gets lost....bad. As in impalements, and the French Revolution was a cup of tea. About 1 billion liberty remnants emerge from underground when the world goes mad. They are not enough to stop the french revolution style bloodletting. They are enough to steer society towards a better choice. similar to magna carta vs totalitarian kings and so on. massive political struggles ensue. Quip: "Hey Jyorn, we are 500 years into the 100 year plan. How in the hell am I supposed to get people excited?"]

Book 5
    [3721 The enlightenment of man - akin to the renaissance. Freedom blossoms, technology re-blooms from out of the dark ages. Space becomes interesting again. They never actually stopped mining the solar system, they just militarized space. Now, able to travel as fast as 42% light speed, they are sending manned expeditions to the oort clouds, and outside the solar envelop. Hope blossoms, and there is even talk about interstellar missions. An interesting planet is identified and a manned expedition at 40% C is sent on a 20 year round trip with a five year layover at the planet. Their Neil Armstrong moment is disturbed when an AI drone chose their recording of the first footsteps to display a greeting. In addition to a whole Croatan mystery thing, the message is deceptive on purpose. The planet lay east of Earth, It says they went North, when they really went southwest. The sleepers wanted as far from the rest of the beggars as they could get.]

Book 6
    [3873 A couple new colonizer missions went out, not with the same enthusiasm but better tech better equip microsleep instead of macrosleep was developed. Colonizing became relatively easy and little multiplanet nations formed in local earth space They expanded in all directions but mostly north and east chasing the legend of the lost sleepers. 12 crew rotations. sleep a year, one month duty. Now intersteller travel lasts 10-20 years, but feels like a couple months. Or passengers a couple days. An inhabited cloud of planets spanning 50 light years in diameter is formed, blobbed towards the north and east.]

Book 7
    [YEAR ZERO SE Space Era - In 4022 AD quantum space-folding is discovered, half-warp drive half wormhole tunneler, a means to project a single particle at several hundred times the speed of light, a split quantum particle is retained on the departure end and then the destination end is in place a field compresses space in between the quantum points, reducing the space-time distance a million-fold by drawing space itself into little folds. A vessel must obtain 31.14159... %C to work, and external observation is seen to have the ship skipping into regular intervals through space at roughly 1/3 C. Travel between stars is just months not years.]

Book 8
    [5300 Colonizing expands exponentially. 50 light years becomes 100 light years becomes 250 light years before commo lines get outstripped and man reaches a stasis. Croatan is nothing but legend anymore as nothing else is ever found or seen. Man has filled a quarter of the galaxy (mostly north and east, almost by tradition now, but still in all directions)]

Book 9
    [6200 next-wave spacefolding discovered an order of magnitude efficiency increase. Harmonics, 2πC with 4 split quantum particles (we could never choreograph multiple quantum particles at once before, now we could) resulting in an 8-fold efficiency increase. Half the galaxy is inhabited, the sleeper legend is basically forgotten. New theories emerge that with 16 particles at 3πC one will get a 64-fold increase in travel efficiency, making intergalactic travel possible. But it's just theory as nobody can really imagine travelling at 3πC or engineering a 16-particle drive. But there is always one small set of geeks that can never allow a dream to die…]

Book 10
    [6900 Turns out 2 particles at π^2 do the trick Man can cross the entire galaxy in days. ]

Book 11
    [Year 7064 AD // Year 3042 SE - HGM Columbus lands on a planet in the last uninhabited quadrant, to find it inhabited. By humans. By libertarian humans who have not invented superluminal drive, and yet are more technologically advanced than the interlopers in many many ways. Not in terms of warfare. They had little or no use for war. Over time, the Hegemony determines the ideas of these free people are a threat and wants them eliminated before they infect his empire.]
    See what I mean? Book 1 is only interesting after the reader is invested in the universe. Then it does become interesting. But starting with Book 1 wouldn't really work I think...

There are very compelling reasons to put Iapetus on the list of bodies unlikely to be colonized. It's not a particularly inviting place. Enceladus is a better choice, but keep in mind that colonies would be below the surface. Next best two would be Mars and Europa, and you may want to consider Ceres and/or Vesta as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I'm writing a science fiction epic. Eventually to be a series of 10 or 12 novels, I'm starting with book 3. Why? Long story short the idea is the last book in the epic is like a keystone that ties the entire thing together. As much as possible I want them to seem totally separate until they are all tied together, and the 'keystone' book to not look like it was intended to tie everything together (it just does) it should work fine as a standalone.

All of that is years in the future, of course. For the moment I'm talking about book 3, the first book I'm writing.

So, I'm hoping to contend for the Prometheus Award (Libertarian Futurist) and I'm shooting for a style that is as space-opera as Heinlein, and as hard science as Asimov, and yet one of my first decisions is stylistic rather than scientific. I'm posting to maybe get some input on this weird decision I am making to see if it makes as much sense to you as it does to me.

A big part of this book is focused on the moons of Saturn. Of course, by far the most interesting moon of Saturn, is Titan. Titan would be far and away the best setting for a mining colony because of it's fascinating makeup. However, Titan has been done to death in science fiction. EVERY doggone body in science fiction does Titan. So I'm looking at Iapetus.

Iapetus is mostly water ice, but being tidal locked it does something weird that no other moon does. It's swept up ring debris on one side, and ice-sublimated such that the leading edge is brown-almost-black with hydrogen-cyanide plastics, and the trailing edge is almost pure white with water ice. There isn't much to mine there.

Don't worry about what other people did, do what you want to do and choose what best suits your vision.

So, a survey mission sends a slew of probes down to the surface, and I need to discover something that makes it worth it to mine Iapetus. I'm thinking because of it's non-hydrostatic configuration (very unusual) I can 'discover' core-material near the surface that contains some material worth mining, as well as something other than hydrogen-cyanide in the ring debris. That way one mining station can have two operations. One surface-scraping operation to collect something from the sublimated ring debris, and another drilling operation to collect something from the core material.

My question is, what can you think of valuable to discover on Iapetus, and do you think it's too much effort to do Iapetus just to be different from every other freaking sci fi author who always does Titan? Not unless there's an ice shortage.

Thanks!
    You're Welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    This^^^

Book one is kinda boring though. It details the downfall of a planetary libertarian utopia.

Book 1 will only be interesting after books 3 and 2 are written.

There won't be any Star Wars like confusion, as they are all far enough apart that the same people will not be in different books.

Here is my outline for the epic, to give you an idea what I'm talking about:

See what I mean? Book 1 is only interesting after the reader is invested in the universe. Then it does become interesting. But starting with Book 1 wouldn't really work I think...
    But people like me won't start a series at book 3. If I saw book 3, I would bang my head against a wall looking for book one and if I couldn't find book one, I'd be like WTF? Book one doesn't sound boring, it sounds like a great hook.

Somewhere between 8 and 9 I'm thinking of placing a novel where one of the sleeper ships didn't want to go where the others went, but went off in a different direction, and got discovered by the superluminals. Only they have regressed to a technologically primitive state, and only legends talk about how they originally came 'out of the sky.'

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    There are very compelling reasons to put Iapetus on the list of bodies unlikely to be colonized. It's not a particularly inviting place. Enceladus is a better choice, but keep in mind that colonies would be below the surface. Next best two would be Mars and Europa, and you may want to consider Ceres and/or Vesta as well.
    ALL THESE WORLDS
    ARE YOURS EXCEPT
    EUROPA
    ATTEMPT NO
    LANDING THERE

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    This^^^

But people like me won't start a series at book 3. If I saw book 3, I would bang my head against a wall looking for book one and if I couldn't find book one, I'd be like WTF? Book one doesn't sound boring, it sounds like a great hook.
    It will not be called "book 3" It will be called "The Vanishing." It won't become "book 3" until the 12th book is written. They will not be called "Book 1," "Book 2, "Book 3," etc. Nobody but me (and now you) will know that they are part of a grand epic, until the epic is finished.

It's not like I'm going to publish it as Book 3, it's just going to be some random book. The idea is to have 11 books that do not look connected at all, and the WHAM I add a 12th book and voila all of them fit together as a single universe. If I wrote them in order, it would kind of destroy the reveal.

It will not be called "book 3" It will be called "The Vanishing." It won't become "book 3" until the 12th book is written. They will not be called "Book 1," "Book 2, "Book 3," etc. Nobody but me (and now you) will know that they are part of a grand epic, until the epic is finished.

It's not like I'm going to publish it as Book 3, it's just going to be some random book. The idea is to have 11 books that do not look connected at all, and the WHAM I add a 12th book and voila all of them fit together as a single universe. If I wrote them in order, it would kind of destroy the reveal.
    Okay, that's better. I thought it was gonna be like Gunny's Galaxy Book 3.

Now this is good stuff.

You are right, it's not likely to be colonized unless something very surprising is discovered there. Nothing that we can conceive of being there now would be worth the effort.

It's almost exclusively water-ice. Any material on the dark side is likely to be easier mined from Phoebe directly.

I don't mind at all using a new target; and Enceladus is interesting.

I like Enceladus better than Europa or Mars, because I believe it would be easier to hide a secret sleeper ship operation in the vicinity of Saturn, and the setup of course is the secret project to disappear all the libertarians.

Now this is extremely helpful...

And Enceladus has not been done to death by science fiction writers. WHich meets my other criteria......

It's a really good candidate, just keep in mind that Saturn is way way way out there, even relative to Jupiter, so there are likely to be intermediate bases set up along the way, on the Moon, then on Mars, the asteroid belt, and on one or more of the moons of Jupiter (including aforementioned Europa). It's got cool water geysers and a water ocean and is one of the more likely places in the solar system to harbor life (in the subsurface oceans).

It's a really good candidate, just keep in mind that Saturn is way way way out there, even relative to Jupiter, so there are likely to be intermediate bases set up along the way, on the Moon, then on Mars, the asteroid belt, and on one or more of the moons of Jupiter (including aforementioned Europa). It's got cool water geysers and a water ocean and is one of the more likely places in the solar system to harbor life (in the subsurface oceans).
    Yeah, I'm setting up an entire economic system to justify libertarians fleeing into the solar system to build gigantic secret spaceships. lol! I'm trying to flesh everything out before I actually write the drama within the system. That way the system is coherent.

At this point in the epic, I am seeing operations on Luna, Mars, and the Jovian/Cronian moons.

If I'm a trillionaire mad genius building sleeper ships to escape the despotism of tyranny, where would I hide them? I think behind Saturn. Enceladus works better than Iapetus for that because it is closer. I would anticipate the sleeper ships 'parked' behind Saturn at the distance of the orbit of the subject moon. At Iapetus's orbit, that would be easier for the bad guys to see. At Enceladus's orbit it will hide better.

Now, I need to find an exquisitely expensive material on Mars, perhaps in conjunction with some unique Martian conditions that allow a specific kind of manufacturing process that makes a Martian colony profitable, or at least financially feasible. I am not against the secret libertarian cabal using the commies to operate offworld colonies at a loss.

Yeah, I'm setting up an entire economic system to justify libertarians fleeing into the solar system to build gigantic secret spaceships. lol! I'm trying to flesh everything out before I actually write the drama within the system. That way the system is coherent.

At this point in the epic, I am seeing operations on Luna, Mars, and the Jovian/Cronian moons.

If I'm a trillionaire mad genius building sleeper ships to escape the despotism of tyranny, where would I hide them? I think behind Saturn. Enceladus works better than Iapetus for that because it is closer. I would anticipate the sleeper ships 'parked' behind Saturn at the distance of the orbit of the subject moon. At Iapetus's orbit, that would be easier for the bad guys to see. At Enceladus's orbit it will hide better.

Now, I need to find an exquisitely expensive material on Mars, perhaps in conjunction with some unique Martian conditions that allow a specific kind of manufacturing process that makes a Martian colony profitable, or at least financially feasible. I am not against the secret libertarian cabal using the commies to operate offworld colonies at a loss.
    It would definitely need to be silicon nanotubes.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    It would definitely need to be silicon nanotubes.
    Excellent Martian material. Most excellent.

I'm thinking Germanium at Saturn.... Jupiter is a better source for Germanium, but then I still need to find something valuable at Saturn. Mind you, if I'm a secret libertarian building sleeper ships, I think I'm going to be predisposed to preferring Saturn's Germanium over Jupiter's.

Given the impact crater that dominates is surface, why not superheavy elements from Dr Oganessian second island of stability? The impactor contained a high % of SHE's that spread across the surface in the ejecta.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Osmium and Iridium may be worth all that reaction mass....

I'm sure you have your reasons, but why start with book 3? Also, have you ever written a book before?

I mean, not to discourage you, but do you really think you can handle an eleven book series right off the bat? Is there any way you can shorten it? Is there any way you can rearrange the facts to make the first 2 books more interesting? Why does the series have to be so long?
    Last edited by PaulConventionWV; 01-20-2015 at 10:54 PM.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Given the impact crater that dominates is surface, why not superheavy elements from Dr Oganessian second island of stability? The impactor contained a high % of SHE's that spread across the surface in the ejecta.

XNN
    Excellent, 113-118 have extraordinarily short half-lives, hard for me to conceive of industrial uses; maybe semi-stable isotopes alloyed with other materials as some kind of power source? Maybe one of these when alloyed will decay at a slower rate, but create some kind of extra-crazy nuclear fuel that will enable ships to travel at speeds like 1/4 to 1/3 C...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    I'm sure you have your reasons, but why start with book 3? Also, have you ever written a book before?

I mean, not to discourage you, but do you really think you can handle an eleven book series right off the bat? Is there any way you can shorten it? Is there any way you can rearrange the facts to make the first 2 books more interesting? Why does the series have to be so long?
    My vision for this spans 5000 years. I imagine I could fit a hundred or so books into that universe. Maybe there will only be three books in this universe. Maybe three hundred. The Vanishing just happens to be the story I want to tell first. Maybe I'm just in the mood to go Galt.

You have food, fuel, chemicals, energy...all of this can be produced in one way or another and are much more valuable on the macro level than any mineral - why do they have to be mining some obscure and expensive element? All it takes is a bacteria or fungi that thrives on the condition the moon/planet provide for it to become unimaginably valuable.

Have you read Great North Road by Peter Hamilton? There is a planet in that novel almost entirely dedicated to creating an algae that is used as fuel. I believe it was discovered there and they took advantage of it. Mining minerals just sounds so dull to me...
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

My vision for this spans 5000 years. I imagine I could fit a hundred or so books into that universe. Maybe there will only be three books in this universe. Maybe three hundred. The Vanishing just happens to be the story I want to tell first. Maybe I'm just in the mood to go Galt.
    Ok, but have you ever written a book before? Do you really know what this is going to entail?

Quote Originally Posted by 2young2vote View Post
    You have food, fuel, chemicals, energy...all of this can be produced in one way or another and are much more valuable on the macro level than any mineral - why do they have to be mining some obscure and expensive element? All it takes is a bacteria or fungi that thrives on the condition the moon/planet provide for it to become unimaginably valuable.

Have you read Great North Road by Peter Hamilton? There is a planet in that novel almost entirely dedicated to creating an algae that is used as fuel. I believe it was discovered there and they took advantage of it. Mining minerals just sounds so dull to me...
    You can grow plants/algae on the Earth. No need to go into space to do such until you are an interstellar society. Some food/fuels production in space to feed the spacers of course. No sense wasting reaction mass to lift that stuff off the Earth.

I was thinking buckminsterfullerenes are probably more easily produced in microgravity or zero gravity, and they may have some intense applications.

It's about requiring the location. You can make food anywhere. You can produce energy anywhere. If I'm making gigatons of algae, I'm more liable to push a massive chunk of water ice into Mars orbit and do it on a space station there. No need to be tied to Saturn for that.

Ok, but have you ever written a book before? Do you really know what this is going to entail?
    No Paul, I'm not going to buy your book so that the expert-man can show me how it's done.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No Paul, I'm not going to buy your book so that the expert-man can show me how it's done.
    Dude, fine. If that's what you thought, then fine... Whatever.

You might want to outline it. It's good though that you know how you want it to end up. The astronomy stuff went over my head though.
    Writing fiction is hard.

I would like everyone to know that I never intended to sell anything. I just showed interest. My mistake.

Dude, fine. If that's what you thought, then fine... Whatever.
    Don't get me wrong, I value, solicit, and cherish advice on writing, otherwise I would not have made this thread; but you forever have this 'holier than thou' attitude that rubs me so wrong it tempts me to violence, and I just don't need that in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    You might want to outline it. It's good though that you know how you want it to end up. The astronomy stuff went over my head though.
    Writing fiction is hard.
    I'm using Scrivener. I am outlining the frell out of it. Each of the parts and chapters already have some pretty extensive notes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2young2vote View Post

You can grow plants/algae on the Earth. No need to go into space to do such until you are an interstellar society. Some food/fuels production in space to feed the spacers of course. No sense wasting reaction mass to lift that stuff off the Earth.

I was thinking buckminsterfullerenes are probably more easily produced in microgravity or zero gravity, and they may have some intense applications.

It's about requiring the location. You can make food anywhere. You can produce energy anywhere. If I'm making gigatons of algae, I'm more liable to push a massive chunk of water ice into Mars orbit and do it on a space station there. No need to be tied to Saturn for that.
    Mind you, it just has to be a plausible excuse for 'why we need to be at Saturn.' It does not have to be a legitimate reason. Indeed, a 'plausible excuse' that is not actually a legitimate reason (so long as it's acknowledged to be subterfuge in the book) would add to the drama.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast