Thread: NASA Will Pay You $18,000 To Stay in Bed For 70 Straight Days

NASA Will Pay You $18,000 To Stay in Bed For 70 Straight Days

Sounds like a sweet gig...

Usually at some point in the day (and for some of us, multiple points) many of us find ourselves wishing we could abandon our responsibilities to return back to our beds to live out the rest of the day under a quiet refuge of blankets. Despite the guilt of chronic laziness, a day in bed sounds pretty darn relaxing—if only we could financially support ourselves by doing so.

Turns out, NASA might have the answer we’re all looking for—although it might require a little more relaxation than originally imagined. NASA is currently looking for volunteers to participate in their “Bed Rest Studies”, in which participants will have to spend 70 straight days in bed, receiving $18,000 for the period of aggressive bodily atrophy. Participants are allowed to read books, Skype, play games, as well as use their phones and computers throughout the duration of the study. Pretty much anything is fair game, so long as you remain in bed, earning a cool $1,200 per week.

So what are the exact purposes of these studies? The experiments are designed to find ways of preserving astronauts’ health and safety during periods of extended space travel. “Head down” bed rest is a good way of simulating travel through zero gravity space. Think about it, zero gravity means zero weight or strain on your muscles. It’s a more accessible way of analyzing the bodily changes that occur during space travel. This study is designed to achieve three core tasks: 1) Understanding how one’s changing physiology in space may affect the process of certain missions. 2) Understanding the impact of one’s physiological state on their ability to perform in particular tasks. 3) Preparing countermeasures to combat any impairment that these physiological conditions may impose. Within the experiment there are two study groups: exercising and non-exercising. While the exercising group will be subject to exercise training (on special equipment to maintain the laying down position), the non-exercising group will remain completely at ease. The entire duration of the study actually lasts between 97 and 105 days, depending on whether you’re a non-exercising or an exercising subject, respectively.

For the first 13 days for non-exercising subjects and 21 days for exercising subjects, you’re able to move freely (in and out of bed) within the bed rest facility. However, after this period you will be prohibited from leaving the bed for the next 70 days, aside from a few specified tests, where you must lay with your head back and feet up. Throughout the entire duration of the study, you will be subject to bone, muscle and heart tests, as well as tests of your circulatory and nervous systems, your nutritional condition, and your body’s capacity to fight off infections. So is it worth it? Although spending two months in bed would realistically be excruciating, at least you can rest easily knowing you’re making the sacrifice of grueling laziness for the purpose of furthering human space exploration. This is the only time you could claim to have helped send the first astronauts to Mars by doing absolutely nothing but sitting on your ass.

http://earthweareone.com/nasa-will-p...straight-days/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Where do I sign up?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Never mind. That doesn't look like fun.

But still....the money is tempting.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Never mind. That doesn't look like fun.

But still....the money is tempting.
    $250 bucks a day? I dunno................
    Not really for me. But for some that's a quick way outta debt.

I can't do that to my body.

Where's Morgan Spurlock? Its only 10 days over the original format.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

been nursing this bad elbow twice that long... hit me

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    been nursing this bad elbow twice that long... hit me

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ya know.. the gig doesn't sound that bad.. worse gig.. whomever has to deal with all the bedpans.
    That's a long time though.. dunno who I'd trust with my cats.. no, I'm not the crazy old cat lady.. yet
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

I suggest compression stockings

How to go to the bathroom????

This actually sounds pretty awful, to be honest. I'd hate it.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post

I couldn't do it. I got out of bed after surgery and tried to leave, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post

Depends?

This would be the deal breaker for me.

you must lay with your head back and feet up
    I'm a stomach sleeper, no way I could lay like that for 70 days.

Do coma patients qualify?

Nah...I cannot sit still 70 minutes let alone 70 days!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Nah...I cannot sit still 70 minutes let alone 70 days!
    Damn overachievers, always making the rest of us look bad.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Sounds like a sweet gig...
    You kidding? I would not do that if they put another zero at the correct end.

Any idea of what 70 days in bed would do to your health?

The lengths to which human stupidity and avarice drive their decision making process never ceases to amaze me.

I *might* do it at 100x that rate, and not even sure about that.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

You kidding? I would not do that if they put another zero at the correct end.

Any idea of what 70 days in bed would do to your health?

The lengths to which human stupidity and avarice drive their decision making process never ceases to amaze me.

I *might* do it at 100x that rate, and not even sure about that.
    Yes, I was kidding. I'm not that stupid.

Dare I even ask about going to the bathroom?

This is an interesting study, but it's definitely not without its risks, and it's not going to be fun after the study is over and you're weak as hell. No matter how sedentary you think you are, you still move around a LOT, and by the time this is all over, you're going to have trouble walking and picking things up. Essentially you're giving up a third of a year of your life (with a few risks) for $18K. Not saying it's a bad deal, but...this could potentially be very boring.

edit: did a little research; yup, you even have to use the bathroom in your bed---and the reading books+computer thing? That's not while partially sitting up; that's still lying completely on your back.
    Last edited by Fox McCloud; 01-24-2015 at 01:47 AM.

If I sign up, do I still get my welfare check?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

ok..in bed is one thing but only on your back? do they strap you down so you don't assume the fetal position in your sleep? does someone do sponge baths? How are the linens changed?.. esp with that whole bathroom/bed pan situation
    premise flaw too..volunteer to me is an unpaid gig.. paying makes you an employee or contractor
    fails all around
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

NASA Paid This Guy $18,000 To Lie In A Bed For 70 Days

Would you take $18,000 (£11,700) to stay bed-ridden for 70 days straight? And we mean bed-ridden; you must remain horizontal at all times (yes, even when going to the toilet), enduring all the physical pain that involves.

Well, last year, NASA paid about 50 volunteers to do just that, to learn how muscle and bone would deteriorate in such conditions. The research may be useful for lengthy space missions in the future, such as trips to Mars.

One of those volunteers, Drew Iwanicki, spoke to NextShark about his experience. In the interview about the study, called CFT 70 (Countermeasure and Functional Testing in Head-Down Tilt Bed Rest Study), Iwanicki said that he first heard about the opportunity in a post on Reddit in 2013. After signing up, he was chosen out of a pool of 25,000 applicants to undertake the study in November 2014.

In the interview, he explained how he was monitored 24/7, while he also had to follow an extremely strict diet that kept his weight at 90 kilograms (200 pounds). He wasn’t even allowed to sit up to make eye contact with his girlfriend when she visited, and he had to relieve himself in a “pee jug” and a bedpan while lying down.

“I was on a regimented sleep schedule,” he told NextShark. "Lights out at 10 p.m., lights on at 6 a.m. No napping allowed during the day, which is one of the cruelest jokes about being stuck in bed all day, not being able to nap.”

There was some respite: He was allowed to prop himself up on his hands and elbows for 30 minutes to eat his food, before having to lie down again. And he had a laptop, held in a bracket above his bed, and books to keep him entertained. Some light exercise was also thrown in.

After tax, he said he earned about $13,000 (£8,500) in total. Alongside the 70 in which he was bed-ridden, 38 days were also added for pre- and post-bed rest periods, when he went through a number of tests.

All in all, that’s about $170 (£110) a day to lie in a bed, and be prodded and probed. Worth a shot?

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...ie-bed-70-days
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-05-2018 at 07:11 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

I wish I didn't have fierce morning wood

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    At the risk of sending this thread to Hot Topics:
    That's the deal breaker right there. Its also gonna skew the results of their study, cus astronauts get a lot of ass and only people who volunteer for this is those that, well, dont

Though it would be nice to earn double paychecks for those who work from home
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

He pooped lying down?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    ...does someone do sponge baths?
    Oh well now isn't this just great. I was all happy with my decision to tell NASA to pound salt up their space-stations and you have to inject ideas into the discussion. Now I am having visions of scantily clad nubile nurses sponge bathing me as I stare and their enormous flibnippys, and getting all worked up and $#@!.

You bastard.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I would never do this
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

I could do this if you could move on your side or belly whenever you wanted but on your back the whole time. I'd attempt it for 250K. I may be able to do it.