Thread: TN State Senate Considers Bill to Ban Cops from Using Military Equipment

TN State Senate Considers Bill to Ban Cops from Using Military Equipment

http://benswann.com/tn-state-senate-...ary-equipment/

As a nationwide debate rages over police militarization, the Tennessee Senate is considering a bill that would ban police agencies from owning or using military vehicles, weapons, and aircraft while enforcing laws in Tennessee.
    Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
    I am an investigative journalist for Ben Swann's Truth in Media
    Check out my liberty-friendly experimental rock/punk/metal band Look What I Did

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Didn't I read a weak or so back that someone introduced a bill in Tenn. to abolish the kops ability to steal cash on the roadside too?

Could this be drafted by the same folks?

If so I'm interested in learning more about them.......
    Last edited by tod evans; 01-19-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Thumbs down

Sen Kelsey is part of the problem... he voted against a bill to stop unconstitutional gun control in TN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbcm5Uy0iTc

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by BarryDonegan View Post
    http://benswann.com/tn-state-senate-...ary-equipment/

As a nationwide debate rages over police militarization, the Tennessee Senate is considering a bill that would ban police agencies from owning or using military vehicles, weapons, and aircraft while enforcing laws in Tennessee.
    I'm glad to see Sen. Kelsey pick up on my NH bill. Unfortunately, we failed to get it passed in NH pre-Ferguson. Still, the NH bill has been reintroduced, a Congressman Hank Johnson introduced a similar bill in Congress ,and now TN is getting into the action. I'd love to see this spread to all states!
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Sen Kelsey is part of the problem... he voted against a bill to stop unconstitutional gun control in TN:
    He seems slightly better than average. GOA and several gun activists tried to stop him when he first ran for the TN Senate. He had backing from Young Republicans and we couldn't keep him out I still sorry we lost that race. Now, it seems he is safely locked in his seat.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

I'd rather see a bill allowing citizens to use military equipment but I guess I take what I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    He seems slightly better than average. GOA and several gun activists tried to stop him when he first ran for the TN Senate. He had backing from Young Republicans and we couldn't keep him out I still sorry we lost that race. Now, it seems he is safely locked in his seat.
    No, he's worse than average.

Watch that video in my post above and you'll see why
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

No, he's worse than average.

Watch that video in my post above and you'll see why
    I've been following him sense before he was elected to the TN Senate. He does good and bad things. I'd already watched the video. I'm also aware of his voting record (as you are likely too).

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Then take that up next time he's up for re-election. In the meantime this bill sounds like a good one. Also this illustrates the benefits of ballot initiatives over representative democracy. You can support the particular initiative you like without having to support the person who sponsored it.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Note I've seen one of these MRAPs way out in Hickman County. That place makes Mayberry look like New York. Imagine Barney Fife with an MRAP.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Then take that up next time he's up for re-election.
    We tried that, the GOP kicked our guy off the ballot (admittedly he wasn't the best candidate being the current LPTN Party Chair)

In the meantime this bill sounds like a good one. Also this illustrates the benefits of ballot initiatives over representative democracy. You can support the particular initiative you like without having to support the person who sponsored it.
    We are playing a long game here, not a short term victory.

1- Bad legislators should not be promoted for having some occasionally good legislation. Kelsey is the establishment, he does their bidding. The trick is to make him appear as awful as possible to the voters so that he is easier to boot in the next election. Getting him on record doing good things makes that harder to do.

2- Ballot initiatives are much harder to get passed and less easier to control. Plus they are very expensive to play in. Doing things through the legislature is the best way as long as you know which levers to hit at which time... it is the lowest hanging fruit.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

We tried that, the GOP kicked our guy off the ballot (admittedly he wasn't the best candidate being the current LPTN Party Chair)

We are playing a long game here, not a short term victory.

1- Bad legislators should not be promoted for having some occasionally good legislation. Kelsey is the establishment, he does their bidding. The trick is to make him appear as awful as possible to the voters so that he is easier to boot in the next election. Getting him on record doing good things makes that harder to do.

2- Ballot initiatives are much harder to get passed and less easier to control. Plus they are very expensive to play in. Doing things through the legislature is the best way as long as you know which levers to hit at which time... it is the lowest hanging fruit.
    Bad legislators? So, this guy is establishment, introducing what appears to be an anti-establishment bill? And clearly you haven't taken enough political courses to understand "playing the game". If a bad legislator wants to introduce a good bill, you run with it. And you then endorse the bad legislator, in hopes of a favor (or, favors) being returned.

It won't happen here. If it banned all new purchases and grandfathered the old ones, it may have a remote chance of passing.

Quote Originally Posted by jjdoyle View Post
    Bad legislators? So, this guy is establishment, introducing what appears to be an anti-establishment bill? And clearly you haven't taken enough political courses to understand "playing the game". If a bad legislator wants to introduce a good bill, you run with it. And you then endorse the bad legislator, in hopes of a favor (or, favors) being returned.
    Only in very special and limited circumstances.

Then take that up next time he's up for re-election. In the meantime this bill sounds like a good one. Also this illustrates the benefits of ballot initiatives over representative democracy. You can support the particular initiative you like without having to support the person who sponsored it.
    Good point. The guy that introduced the Congressional bill about police militarization is a horrible Congressman, Rep. Hank Johnson. I will support his bill if there is ever any serious traction, just like I supported the original bill in NH. Hopefully, some of the folks in TN will support this bill.

As for reelection, GOA tried to stop him from getting elected. We supported an older, more well known candidate. But the Young Republicans and whomever else pushed hard for him. Every election he gets harder to beat. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Also, ballot initiatives are generally used to grow government. Even when things pass, they are sometimes ignored. Direct democracy could work efficiently on a town level if a large percentage of the voters in the town supported freedom. Unfortunately, I don't know of any towns like that in the nation.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 01-19-2015 at 06:00 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.