Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parents investigated for neglect after letting kids walk home alone

Parents investigated for neglect after letting kids walk home alone

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...ddc_story.html

It was a one-mile walk home from a Silver Spring park on Georgia Avenue on a Saturday afternoon. But what the parents saw as a moment of independence for their 10-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter, they say authorities viewed much differently.

Danielle and Alexander Meitiv say they are being investigated for neglect for the Dec. 20 trek — in a case they say reflects a clash of ideas about how safe the world is and whether parents are free to make their own choices about raising their children.

“We wouldn’t have let them do it if we didn’t think they were ready for it,” Danielle said.

She said her son and daughter have previously paired up for walks around the block, to a nearby 7-Eleven and to a library about three-quarters of a mile away. “They have proven they are responsible,” she said. “They’ve developed these skills.”

The Meitivs say they believe in “free-range” parenting, a movement that has been a counterpoint to the hyper-vigilance of “helicopter” parenting, with the idea that children learn self-reliance by being allowed to progressively test limits, make choices and venture out in the world.

“The world is actually even safer than when I was a child, and I just want to give them the same freedom and independence that I had — basically an old-fashioned childhood,” she said. “I think it’s absolutely critical for their development — to learn responsibility, to experience the world, to gain confidence and competency.”

On Dec. 20, Alexander agreed to let the children, Rafi and Dvora, walk from Woodside Park to their home, a mile south, in an area the family says the children know well.

The children made it about halfway.

Police picked up the children near the Discovery building, the family said, after someone reported seeing them.

Police on Wednesday did not immediately have information on the case. But a spokeswoman said that when concerns are reported, “we have a responsibility as part of our duty to check on people’s welfare.”

The Meitivs say their son told police that he and his sister were not doing anything illegal and are allowed to walk. Usually, their mother said, the children carry a laminated card with parent contact information that says: “I am not lost. I am a free-range kid.” The kids didn’t have the card that day.

Danielle said she and her husband give parenting a lot of thought.

“Parenthood is an exercise in risk management,” she said. “Every day, we decide: Are we going to let our kids play football? Are we going to let them do a sleep*over? Are we going to let them climb a tree? We’re not saying parents should abandon all caution. We’re saying parents should pay attention to risks that are dangerous and likely to happen.”

She added: “Abductions are extremely rare. Car accidents are not. The number one cause of death for children of their age is a car accident.”

Danielle is a climate-science consultant, and Alexander is a physicist at the National Institutes of Health.

Alexander said he had a tense time with police on Dec. 20 when officers returned his children, asked for his identification and told him about the dangers of the world.

The more lasting issue has been with Montgomery County Child Protective Services, he said, which showed up a couple of hours after the police left.

Mary Anderson, a spokeswoman for CPS, said she could not comment on cases but that neglect investigations typically focus on questions of whether there has been a failure to provide proper care and supervision.

In such investigations, she said, CPS may look for guidance to a state law about leaving children unattended, which says children younger than 8 must be left with a reliable person who is at least 13 years old. The law covers dwellings, enclosures and vehicles.

The Meitivs say that on Dec. 20, a CPS worker required Alexander to sign a safety plan pledging he would not leave his children unsupervised until the following Monday, when CPS would follow up. At first he refused, saying he needed to talk to a lawyer, his wife said, but changed his mind when he was told his children would be removed if he did not comply.

Following the holidays, the family said, CPS called again, saying the agency needed to inquire further and visit the family’s home. Danielle said she resisted.

“It seemed such a huge violation of privacy to examine my house because my kids were walking home,” she said.

Police on Wednesday did not immediately have information on the case. But a spokeswoman said that when concerns are reported, “we have a responsibility as part of our duty to check on people’s welfare.”

The Meitivs say their son told police that he and his sister were not doing anything illegal and are allowed to walk. Usually, their mother said, the children carry a laminated card with parent contact information that says: “I am not lost. I am a free-range kid.” The kids didn’t have the card that day.

Danielle said she and her husband give parenting a lot of thought.

“Parenthood is an exercise in risk management,” she said. “Every day, we decide: Are we going to let our kids play football? Are we going to let them do a sleep*over? Are we going to let them climb a tree? We’re not saying parents should abandon all caution. We’re saying parents should pay attention to risks that are dangerous and likely to happen.”

She added: “Abductions are extremely rare. Car accidents are not. The number one cause of death for children of their age is a car accident.”

Danielle is a climate-science consultant, and Alexander is a physicist at the National Institutes of Health.

Alexander said he had a tense time with police on Dec. 20 when officers returned his children, asked for his identification and told him about the dangers of the world.

The more lasting issue has been with Montgomery County Child Protective Services, he said, which showed up a couple of hours after the police left.

Mary Anderson, a spokeswoman for CPS, said she could not comment on cases but that neglect investigations typically focus on questions of whether there has been a failure to provide proper care and supervision.

In such investigations, she said, CPS may look for guidance to a state law about leaving children unattended, which says children younger than 8 must be left with a reliable person who is at least 13 years old. The law covers dwellings, enclosures and vehicles.

The Meitivs say that on Dec. 20, a CPS worker required Alexander to sign a safety plan pledging he would not leave his children unsupervised until the following Monday, when CPS would follow up. At first he refused, saying he needed to talk to a lawyer, his wife said, but changed his mind when he was told his children would be removed if he did not comply.

Following the holidays, the family said, CPS called again, saying the agency needed to inquire further and visit the family’s home. Danielle said she resisted.

“It seemed such a huge violation of privacy to examine my house because my kids were walking home,” she said.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Climate scientist and physicist @ NIH... safe bet they're rabid statists. Welcome to a taste of your own medicine. May it change you irreparably, for OUR own good.

By 10 a country kid can feed and water the livestock, drive a 4-wheeler and tractor, use basic tools, dispense medicine, clean house(under threat of bodily harm), and countless other mundane tasks.....

Is it okay to burn the cities and their inhabitants yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    By 10 a country kid can feed and water the livestock, drive a 4-wheeler and tractor, use basic tools, dispense medicine, clean house(under threat of bodily harm), and countless other mundane tasks.....

I just don't get it...

I remember one summer vacation we let the cousin kids (8, 7, 5, no one over 10) hike around a huge sand dune/woods/creek/beach in Michigan while the adults huge out by the water. Acres and acres of state land and other people around too. After about an hour or so we wondered if we should go look for them. A few minutes later they appeared with their 'spears' and walking sticks and feathers and stones and stories and what not. Perfectly capable, just playing like kids do. Smart enough to be just fine by themselves. I'm sure they loved the indepence of not having adults with them.

I just don't get it...

It's the pussification of America. I think I trust kids and their judgement more then some adults. I've never had a kid try to throw me in jail for taking a walk.

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    I just don't get it...

I remember one summer vacation we let the cousin kids (8, 7, 5, no one over 10) hike around a huge sand dune/woods/creek/beach in Michigan while the adults huge out by the water. Acres and acres of state land and other people around too. After about an hour or so we wondered if we should go look for them. A few minutes later they appeared with their 'spears' and walking sticks and feathers and stones and stories and what not. Perfectly capable, just playing like kids do. Smart enough to be just fine by themselves. I'm sure they loved the indepence of not having adults with them.

I just don't get it...

It's the pussification of America. I think I trust kids and their judgement more then some adults. I've never had a kid try to throw me in jail for taking a walk.
    It depends on the maturity of the kids; some eight year olds could take a walk with two younger cousins, stay together and come back to the adult's location within a reasonable (to be determined by the parents) time frame responsibly.

But some eight year olds couldn't handle that amount of responsibility. The issue is knowing your child and what he or she can handle, and then slowly stretching the boundaries of what the kid can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
    It depends on the maturity of the kids; some eight year olds could take a walk with two younger cousins, stay together and come back to the adult's location within a reasonable (to be determined by the parents) time frame responsibly.

But some eight year olds couldn't handle that amount of responsibility. The issue is knowing your child and what he or she can handle, and then slowly stretching the boundaries of what the kid can handle.
    Yes, agreed. But doesn't the state know best and how to raise our children better than parents?

Hey now! Still a city gal here. Funny thing, more children in this city are free range than the suburbs of Atlanta we used to live in. Atlanta area was a huge number of safety moms and their hovering commands that all parents must abide by, or else.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    Hey now! Still a city gal here. Funny thing, more children in this city are free range than the suburbs of Atlanta we used to live in. Atlanta area was a huge number of safety moms and their hovering commands that all parents must abide by, or else.
    Oh I consider burb dwellers "city-folk" too...(I have a sis that fits the criteria to a T)

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

They will burn the cities themselves eventually, just give it some time.

Drives me crazy. I would have been all over the attorney thing. "No, ma'am. I am not signing anything. You will not take my children or make any other threats until my attorney arrives. You will not investigate my home, and it would be best if you just stopped talking until my attorney arrives. From here on out, I will take video of everything you say and do, and if you keep it up, my next call will be to the media."

If a brother and sister cannot walk a mile on a public street without some hellicopter neighbor calling CPS, then maybe the town needs to investigate what the police are doing. Why is the city so unsafe that kids can't walk on a sidewalk?
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Update: GULITY!!!

Montgomery Co. ‘Free Range’ Parents Found Responsible for Neglect

The Montgomery County parents who let their children walk around their Silver Spring neighborhood alone have been found responsible for “unsubstantiated child neglect” by Child Protective Services, according to The Washington Post.
    According to the Washington Post, the decision means that “CPS will keep a file on the family for at least five years and leaves open the question of what happens if the Meitiv children — ages 10 and 6 — get reported again for walking without adult supervision.”
    They are the village's children, dammit!

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Update: GULITY!!!

Montgomery Co. ‘Free Range’ Parents Found Responsible for Neglect

They are the village's children, dammit!

XNN
    "Unsubstantiated" must mean something else where they are from.

I'm 25 years old so when I say "when I was a kid" i'm not talking about the 1960s i'm talking about the 1990s...

When I was a kid my parents let me go to the neighborhood park by myself starting at age 8.
    When I was a kid my parents let me walk home from school alone by myself starting at age 8.
    When I was a kid my parents started to let me stay home alone for hours at a time starting at age 10.
    When I was a kid my parents started to let me stay home alone for weekends at a starting at age 12.
    When I was a kid my parents started to let stay out without a curfew (even though the city had one) starting at age 14.

I have a clean record, never been fired, went to college, and for all intents and purposes i'm a normal 25 year old... can you imagine how $#@!ed up my life would have turned out had these fascists taken me from my parents and thrown me in a foster home?

Solutions to the issues we face run thin...
    It's just an opinion... man...

Lets talk about Adolescence.

Prior to the Industrial Revolution, the term Adolescence did not exist. Adolescence is an Extension of Childhood. Before that, Adulthood was measured on ones ability to sexually reproduce. Thus, 15 year olds were "young men" and "young women", not kids. Now we think of humans as "children" until the age of 18, then actual societal Adolescence is between the ages of 18 and 21, not their pubescent and post pubescent teenage years. The Definition of Adolescence: "Adolescence is a transitional stage of physical and psychological human development that generally occurs during the period from puberty to legal adulthood." We legally consider individuals to be children based on their "Date of Manufacture" and not by their Psychology, which will vary from individual to individual. The Psychological result of treating individuals as children during the entire course of thier psychological transition leads to Adult Children, where by a person can be 30 years old and have the Psychology of a child. Those still on their "mommas tit", the "fascination with distractions" such as cartoons or movies and no interest in the intellectual content of the world, lack of the ability to assume responsibility for ones actions, and most importantly, perpetual dependancy on an external provider. The Dependancy factor manifests itself in many different forms: monetary, emotional stability, food, clothing, etc. By extending Childhood into Adulthood for many people, a whole new series of Laws can be imposed that allows the Status Quo to hide behind an even larger group of people. If you dig deep enough, its always the same exact message in varying forms: "You Need Us". This will always be the message of the Parasitic Class. "You need us to" <list> Teach you, manage your Finances, Feed you, protect you from Terrorists and most importantly, protect you from Yourself. "You need us" to Vaccinate you, tell you what to do and tell you what to think. This is achieved by always telling people what to think but never ever how to think. The truest transition into Adulthood is the realization that one no longer needs their "Providers", be that entity a Parent, or the Government.

Much like NoOneButPaul said, he was able to walk to the neighborhood park and walk home from school alone at the tender age of 8. He could be left alone at age 10, and during entire weekends at age 12. No curfew at age 14. The result of these Nanny Laws is to deny any potential transition where a child senses they are "never alone" even for brief periods of time. Then when their Date of Manufacture indicates a physical age has been reached, they are thrust into the world, completely unprepared. This results in a psychological transition from a Dependant Dynamic State to an Independant Frozen State of mind, which they rarely ever recover from. Their Psychological Age is frozen to the point where they are "booted out" instead of being gradually weened. They are not given any truly important skills, such as managing debt or even know how to pay a bill. These Adult Children are told at every opportunity to go deeply into debt and go to "College", where they are taught almost nothing of real value. The Adult Children are exceptionally vunerable to the consequences of cumulative eduacational debt, just as our Elderly are our most vunerable group when it comes to computer related financial dangers. We take our skills for granted and can easily recognize the Nigerian Scammer Email. Our Children are also able to recognize these as Scams, even if they do not fully comprehend the devestating power of Debt. Take a look to your neighbors, their children, then others such as your Parents, your employers and bosses. Regardless of their age, anyone smart enough to read this is most likely more mautre than even your own Parents. You are more of an Adult than your Supervisor and most of the people you work with. You are more psychologically prepared to face the consequences of our very harsh reality than your Neighbors and their Parents. When you see a person that only gets their News from the Propoganda Box called TV, know that you are more grown up than they are. Most of you have endured what it takes to free ones self from a Frozen Independant Psychological State and become true adults. Most but not all, there are still a few Children over the age of 21 here. It is the freedom from this mental state that has caused you to mature and to question the wisdom of the Ministry of Truth, to recognize our Money System is a Scam, our Educational System is one of constant Indoctrination, and our Protectors are merely Playground Bullies with much more sophisticated devices of torture and abuse. You are expected to remain a Child for your entire natural life, and when that comes to an end, your life will be artificially extended so that Medical Tyranny can soak as much money out of you as can be soaked. You know better than most that the path to becoming a Free and Independant people is to first become Adults.

Without a transitionary period into true Psychological Adulthood provided by parents, we will end up with a Nation comprised mostly of Adult Children provided by the State, who are always and perpetually dependant on the State to meet their every need.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

This is the same nanny state that thinks children should be able to obtain conception control and have sex without any say so from their parents, and when that child becomes pregnant, should be able to go get a free abortion without the knowledge and consent of parents.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Brave New 1984.

Toys R' Us Jingle:
    "I dont wanna grow up!
    Im a Nanny State Kid,
    dont wanna be held responsible,
    for anything I did!
    More debt,
    more joy,
    more Wars,
    oh Boy!
    I dont wanna grow up,
    because if I did,
    I wouldnt be a Nanny State Kid!"
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    This is the same nanny state that thinks children should be able to obtain conception control and have sex without any say so from their parents, and when that child becomes pregnant, should be able to go get a free abortion without the knowledge and consent of parents.
    Scotty where are you? Beam me up already!
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Update: GUILTY!!!
    Of course they are guilty.

We are all guilty.

The only question is: what will the state find us guilty of.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Lets talk about Adolescence.

Prior to the Industrial Revolution, the term Adolescence did not exist. Adolescence is an Extension of Childhood. Before that, Adulthood was measured on ones ability to sexually reproduce. Thus, 15 year olds were "young men" and "young women", not kids. Now we think of humans as "children" until the age of 18, then actual societal Adolescence is between the ages of 18 and 21, not their pubescent and post pubescent teenage years. The Definition of Adolescence: "Adolescence is a transitional stage of physical and psychological human development that generally occurs during the period from puberty to legal adulthood." We legally consider individuals to be children based on their "Date of Manufacture" and not by their Psychology, which will vary from individual to individual. The Psychological result of treating individuals as children during the entire course of thier psychological transition leads to Adult Children, where by a person can be 30 years old and have the Psychology of a child. Those still on their "mommas tit", the "fascination with distractions" such as cartoons or movies and no interest in the intellectual content of the world, lack of the ability to assume responsibility for ones actions, and most importantly, perpetual dependancy on an external provider. The Dependancy factor manifests itself in many different forms: monetary, emotional stability, food, clothing, etc. By extending Childhood into Adulthood for many people, a whole new series of Laws can be imposed that allows the Status Quo to hide behind an even larger group of people. If you dig deep enough, its always the same exact message in varying forms: "You Need Us". This will always be the message of the Parasitic Class. "You need us to" <list> Teach you, manage your Finances, Feed you, protect you from Terrorists and most importantly, protect you from Yourself. "You need us" to Vaccinate you, tell you what to do and tell you what to think. This is achieved by always telling people what to think but never ever how to think. The truest transition into Adulthood is the realization that one no longer needs their "Providers", be that entity a Parent, or the Government.

Much like NoOneButPaul said, he was able to walk to the neighborhood park and walk home from school alone at the tender age of 8. He could be left alone at age 10, and during entire weekends at age 12. No curfew at age 14. The result of these Nanny Laws is to deny any potential transition where a child senses they are "never alone" even for brief periods of time. Then when their Date of Manufacture indicates a physical age has been reached, they are thrust into the world, completely unprepared. This results in a psychological transition from a Dependant Dynamic State to an Independant Frozen State of mind, which they rarely ever recover from. Their Psychological Age is frozen to the point where they are "booted out" instead of being gradually weened. They are not given any truly important skills, such as managing debt or even know how to pay a bill. These Adult Children are told at every opportunity to go deeply into debt and go to "College", where they are taught almost nothing of real value. The Adult Children are exceptionally vunerable to the consequences of cumulative eduacational debt, just as our Elderly are our most vunerable group when it comes to computer related financial dangers. We take our skills for granted and can easily recognize the Nigerian Scammer Email. Our Children are also able to recognize these as Scams, even if they do not fully comprehend the devestating power of Debt. Take a look to your neighbors, their children, then others such as your Parents, your employers and bosses. Regardless of their age, anyone smart enough to read this is most likely more mautre than even your own Parents. You are more of an Adult than your Supervisor and most of the people you work with. You are more psychologically prepared to face the consequences of our very harsh reality than your Neighbors and their Parents. When you see a person that only gets their News from the Propoganda Box called TV, know that you are more grown up than they are. Most of you have endured what it takes to free ones self from a Frozen Independant Psychological State and become true adults. Most but not all, there are still a few Children over the age of 21 here. It is the freedom from this mental state that has caused you to mature and to question the wisdom of the Ministry of Truth, to recognize our Money System is a Scam, our Educational System is one of constant Indoctrination, and our Protectors are merely Playground Bullies with much more sophisticated devices of torture and abuse. You are expected to remain a Child for your entire natural life, and when that comes to an end, your life will be artificially extended so that Medical Tyranny can soak as much money out of you as can be soaked. You know better than most that the path to becoming a Free and Independant people is to first become Adults.

Without a transitionary period into true Psychological Adulthood provided by parents, we will end up with a Nation comprised mostly of Adult Children provided by the State, who are always and perpetually dependant on the State to meet their every need.
    this^^ Gatto has a whole chapter about this here: http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/ughoae.pdf see pg 22
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Of course they are guilty.

We are all guilty.

The only question is: what will the state find us guilty of.
    Guilty of being Innocent of being Guilty.

For the crime of being Innocent of being Guilty. Yeah, makes absolutely no sense what so ever, but this is the way the Just-Us system works. Utterly deceptive twaddlespeak.
    1776 > 1984

The Meitiv's are appealing.

Parents who let kids walk alone to appeal in neglect case

Paula Tolson, spokeswoman for the Maryland Department of Human Resources, said there are three possible findings after neglect investigations: ruled out, unsubstantiated or indicated. An unsubstantiated finding is made when there’s some information supporting child neglect, seemingly credible reports disagree or there isn’t enough information for a conclusion.

The first step in the appeals process is a conference involving a CPS supervisor, which can often resolve some issues, Tolson said.
    XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

If they were smart, they'd appeal that from 10 states away.

“The world is actually even safer than when I was a child,"
    This parent is wrong. The vile and vicious sorts are far more common than 40 years ago.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There's a nosey neighbor somewhere honing a grudge.

Free-range parents investigated again after kids taken into custody

XNN

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    If they were smart, they'd appeal that from 10 states away.
    Then they would be wanted for fleeing the state. Just like the couple in Washington state. This isn't for safety reasons as so many are lead to believe it is about control, period.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Police again pick up children, 6 and 10, of 'free-range' parents, take kids to child services

SILVER SPRING, Md. — Two suburban Washington, D.C., parents are under scrutiny again for letting their 6- and 10-year-old children play in a park and walk home alone in a case that has stirred debate about "free-range" parenting and government powers.

For the second time in four months, police picked up the children of Danielle and Alexander Meitiv on Sunday as they were walking home alone from a park that's nearly a mile from their house. This time, instead of bringing the children home, police took them directly to Child Protective Services.

"It's beyond ridiculous," Danielle Meitiv said Monday. "The world is safer today, and yet we imprison our children inside and wonder why they're obese and have no focus."

The Meitivs, who live 6 miles from Washington in Silver Spring, Maryland, believe in "free-range" parenting, which includes allowing their children to play and walk alone in the neighborhood to teach them self-reliance and responsibility.

Child Protective Services first began investigating the couple in December after police stopped the children midway through a 1-mile walk home from a different park after responding to a call from a concerned citizen. Police drove the children home but called Child Protective Services.

The Meitivs were notified in a February letter that they had been found responsible for "unsubstantiated neglect," a ruling that's made when there's some information supporting child neglect, seemingly credible reports disagree or there isn't enough information for a conclusion.
    More at link:
    http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/299540891.html

This is beyond Orwellian for someone like me who was a child in the 1950's
    They will probably lose their kids.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

MARYLAND MEITIVS CLEARED OF FIRST “NEGLECT” CHARGE

Hallelujah! Danielle and Alexander Meitiv have been cleared of any wrongdoing in the Dec. 20 incident when they let their kids walk home from the park in Silver Spring, MD. As Donna St. George in the Washington Post reports:

A Maryland couple investigated for neglect after they let their two young children walk home alone from local parks have been cleared in one of two such cases, according to the family’s attorneys and documents.

The new Child Protective Services finding, which follows an appeal, comes as the experiences of “free range” parents Danielle and Alexander Meitiv have drawn national attention, sparking debate about parenting choices and how far local officials should go to enforce laws designed to protect children.

It overturns a previous CPS decision that held the Meitivs responsible for “unsubstantiated” child neglect, a finding typically made when there is conflicting or insufficient information for a more definitive conclusion.

The change came as a welcome surprise to the Meitivs, who were informed in letters they received May 18 that neglect was “ruled out” in the case, which dates to their children’s December walk from Woodside Park.

“It was an enormous relief and vindication,” Danielle Meitiv said in a Washington Post interview, the family’s first in six weeks. “Of course there’s no neglect here. There never was. There was never even a hint of it.”

While strike one against them is now gone, strike two remains to be dealt with: That’s the time they allowed their kids to walk home from a local park yet again — the little recidivists. The kids were held for five hours, and the authorities didn’t even notify the parents until about three hours in.

“We’re hopeful it will be resolved in the same way,” Danielle Meitiv said. “The facts of the two are the same. They’re the same kids, we’re the same parents. They were walking in the same neighborhood. . . . Neither case is neglect so we’re hopeful that CPS will just see that and move on.”

Danielle Meitiv said she stopped giving interviews April 13, both at the advice of lawyers and because the most recent experience became upsetting to talk about.

She said she’s speaking out now in hopes the new ruling may assuage the fears of other parents who want to let their children venture outdoors to walk or play, but are worried about CPS involvement. “It’s also really good news,” she said.

The Meitivs advocate free-range parenting, which encourages independence and exploration. The term was first coined in 2008 by New York journalist Lenore Skenazy, who developed a following for pushing back against what many saw as a hypervigilant “helicopter parent” culture.

Actually, at this point that New York journalist would like to clarify that she is not pushing back against helicopter parents — she feels parents can raise their kids however they see fit. She is (I hear) pushing back against an entire culture that sees children only through the lens of danger, trauma and fragility, which then tends to overreact to any threat, no matter how remote.
    http://www.freerangekids.com/marylan...eglect-charge/

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    MARYLAND MEITIVS CLEARED OF FIRST “NEGLECT” CHARGE

http://www.freerangekids.com/marylan...eglect-charge/
    This couple is very fortunate to be able to afford good attorneys, and have positive mainstream media support. 99.9% of these cases do not....
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

CPS may look for guidance to a state law about leaving children unattended, which says children younger than 8 must be left with a reliable person who is at least 13 years old.
    Here we are again with hard lines in the sand from the state where gray area and parental discretion should exist.

Sacramento prodigy Tanishq Abraham just graduated from college at age 11 – with three degrees.
    http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/edu...e22161726.html

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast