Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Job Openings in U.S. Increase to Highest Level Since 2001

GDP is up too.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Zippy - do you have statistics for aggregate hours for exempt & Non-exempt employees separately? My bet is that the growth in number of hours worked is largely by those who are "exempt" under FLSA, thus not requiring Overtime pay. If my experience means anything, companies are using "exempt" employees for many more hours, while the non-exempts can't exceed 29 hours.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Zippy - do you have statistics for aggregate hours for exempt & Non-exempt employees separately? My bet is that the growth in number of hours worked is largely by those who are "exempt" under FLSA, thus not requiring Overtime pay. If my experience means anything, companies are using "exempt" employees for many more hours, while the non-exempts can't exceed 29 hours.
    Weird. I just looked up http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/screen75.asp and pretty much every job I've ever held is exempt.

Commissioned sales employees of retail or service establishments are exempt from overtime if more than half of the employee's earnings come from commissions and the employee averages at least one and one-half times the minimum wage for each hour worked. You may also wish to review the applicable regulation.

Computer professionals: Section 13(a)(17) of the FLSA provides that certain computer professionals paid at least $27.63 per hour are exempt from the overtime provisions of the FLSA.

Drivers, driver's helpers, loaders and mechanics are exempt from the overtime pay provisions of the FLSA if employed by a motor carrier, and if the employee's duties affect the safety of operation of the vehicles in transportation of passengers or property in interstate or foreign commerce. You may also wish to review the applicable regulation.

Executive, administrative, professional and outside sales employees: (as defined in Department of Labor regulations) and who are paid on a salary basis are exempt from both the minimum wage and overtime provisions of the FLSA.

only thing these don't cover for me, are the 3 years I worked in fast food in High School, and the 4 years I worked at Kinkos ~2004

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Weird. I just looked up http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/screen75.asp and pretty much every job I've ever held is exempt.
    My job is exempt. I used to be able to have a 16 hour day per federal regulations. Now it is backed down a bit to 14 1/2. with some extensions.
    Last edited by Danke; 01-21-2015 at 03:16 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    That would be my guess, either that or they hire more people.
    pcosmar's lie : There are more votes than registered Voters..

How many of those jobs are directly or indirectly dependent on government spending money it doesn't have? New employees at the TSA are not producing anything people want. New employees in health care are unsustainable because the government system that pays for them is unsustainable. How is the level of private sector production of goods and services outside health care and education? That would be an interesting number.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    How many of those jobs are directly or indirectly dependent on government spending money it doesn't have? New employees at the TSA are not producing anything people want. New employees in health care are unsustainable because the government system that pays for them is unsustainable. How is the level of private sector production of goods and services outside health care and education? That would be an interesting number.
    that also includes housing, which is dependant on loans which Fed sets interest rates for.

I've been wondering if Zippy was a big cheerleader on the economy back around 2003-2006 when republicans were in charge. The situation was similar. Low unemployment, good GDP growth, stocks going up but lousy debt and trade deficits. I was consistent. I was arguing that we were in trouble back then because of all the debt. I have to admit I had no idea how important the popping of the housing bubble would be though. I just know you can't keep borrowing that much money without something bad happening. Anyway, Zippy, were you as high on the economy back then as you are now?

Yes, the economy was doing pretty well between 2003 and 2006. Actually it was even better than it is now. While we have not yet matched back then, we have improved significantly from the lows of 2007- 2008.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Yes, the economy was doing pretty well between 2003 and 2006. Actually it was even better than it is now. While we have not yet matched back then, we have improved significantly from the lows of 2007- 2008.
    Well, when I am a hard working, rock solid work ethic, highly skilled homeless guy, I will be sure to take a lot of comfort in these empty words.

I am sorry you are in that position.

Leave it to Zip to call the largest housing and credit bubble in history that resulted in massive foreclosures, defaults, job losses, bankruptcies, bank closures, and massive monetary inflation "doing pretty well". Now if we can just pump a bigger bubble that will collapse even more spectacularly, it'll be happy days again! At least if you're a tribe banker that can privatize profits, socialize the losses and never have to worry about going to jail for outright fraud because you own the people tasked with enforcing the laws. Congrats on legalizing theft and fraud. A proud accomplishment for sure.

(pssst Gunny didn't say he's in that position....reading comprehension ftw)
    Last edited by devil21; 01-28-2015 at 09:08 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Which is another way of saying it's all relative, and if you accept the belief that 2001-2006 was artificially well due to lending, then it shouldn't be a surprise we're not matching it (and shouldn't be a bad news either)

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Leave it to Zip to call the largest housing and credit bubble in history that resulted in massive foreclosures, defaults, job losses, bankruptcies, bank closures, and massive monetary inflation "doing pretty well".
    Bank closures and bankruptcies don't happen at the same time as massive inflation. Get your facts straight. Defaults don't happen during inflation either.

Well, when I am a hard working, rock solid work ethic, highly skilled homeless guy, I will be sure to take a lot of comfort in these empty words.
    what's your example of a skill that should never leave a person homeless? medical doctor? armed security? electrician?

you might've forgotten a few other criteria : no major illness, no poor decisions, no disasters.

In my own anecdotal experience, I am hiring right now and business is good. Of course it's all fluff and fake, but I am hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    In my own anecdotal experience, I am hiring right now and business is good. Of course it's all fluff and fake, but I am hiring.
    Yeah, but plural of anecdote is evidence/data, right? Why shouldn't I be allowed to use the weather outside my window as evidence against global warming or my own job situation was evidence of the economy's condition.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As Ron Paul once said in an interview, "If I borrowed a million dollars and spent it all, I would look prosperous too!"
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    what's your example of a skill that should never leave a person homeless? medical doctor? armed security? electrician?
    Your above question is utter and complete nonsense, but I will play along. A home builder in an unregulated society on homesteadable land is a skill that should never leave one homeless, unless they deliberately choose not to build themselves a home.

you might've forgotten a few other criteria : no major illness, no poor decisions, no disasters.
    No major illness, no disasters, and the only poor decision was running for and winning office, and then acting like Ron Paul before I had enough savings to live off of my investments.

As Ron Paul once said in an interview, "If I borrowed a million dollars and spent it all, I would look prosperous too!"
    using this logic, most of our economy "looks" prosperous, and therefore we should be thankful for deflations and recessions, right?

Exactly what I've been saying for the last 5 years! Great minds think alike! .... Ok, Ok, maybe I got lucky ...

Your above question is utter and complete nonsense, but I will play along. A home builder in an unregulated society on homesteadable land is a skill that should never leave one homeless, unless they deliberately choose not to build themselves a home.
    I think I can agree. Are you saying in today's world, there are homebuilders that are homeless only because government regulation stops him from building the home he wants? I mean, I'm willing to bet there's tons of land that allows people to build homes either without permit or permit isn't enforced. Getting running water and electricity is another story.

No major illness, no disasters, and the only poor decision was running for and winning office, and then acting like Ron Paul before I had enough savings to live off of my investments.
    Acting like Ron Paul how? Don't worry, you're still decades younger than him

using this logic, most of our economy "looks" prosperous, and therefore we should be thankful for deflations and recessions, right?
    I'm not sure I understand your question. My point, and I think Ron Paul's point also, is that it is possible to create the appearance of prosperity through monetary skullduggery, but that it is unsustainable, just like the appearance of prosperity I would have if I borrowed a million dollars and spent it all with no way to pay it back.

But not all prosperity is built on monetary fraud. The accumulation of capital results in an increase in real production which leads to sustainable increase in wealth.

I think I can agree. Are you saying in today's world, there are homebuilders that are homeless only because government regulation stops him from building the home he wants? I mean, I'm willing to bet there's tons of land that allows people to build homes either without permit or permit isn't enforced. Getting running water and electricity is another story.
    We are regularly seeing stories on here about people getting arrested/fined/whatever for simply going off the grid. So at least theoretically yes.

Acting like Ron Paul how? Don't worry, you're still decades younger than him
    My voting record is quite public. As is my funding record.

I'm not sure I understand your question. My point, and I think Ron Paul's point also, is that it is possible to create the appearance of prosperity through monetary skullduggery, but that it is unsustainable, just like the appearance of prosperity I would have if I borrowed a million dollars and spent it all with no way to pay it back.

But not all prosperity is built on monetary fraud. The accumulation of capital results in an increase in real production which leads to sustainable increase in wealth.
    my point is this, is it fair to say, that most of our economy is artificially illusioned due to borrowed money, loose credit. And if most of it went away, we'll appear poor, when in fact it would be the natural, honest state of things in absence of artificial loans and debts?

Example : if people were not allowed to borrow money to buy houses, houses would be cheap, and/or less people would be in houses. That would LOOK poor compared to today, but is that good or bad? If you believe our economy is a farce or illusion, then shouldn't you embrace poverty and deflation as long as it's natural?

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, I figured correctly that, if there was a thread proclaiming "all is well" and that bailouts and billions work, it would be Zip's.

Wait until the oilfield fallout hits home.

Lots of the last good paying blue collar jobs getting slashed right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Well, I figured correctly that, if there was a thread proclaiming "all is well" and that bailouts and billions work, it would be Zip's.

Wait until the oilfield fallout hits home.

Lots of the last good paying blue collar jobs getting slashed right now.
    who would be the fault and blame?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12