Paul, Walberg Respond to Department of Justice Reining in Civil Asset Forfeiture

Washington, Jan 16

Washington, D.C. – Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) and Congressman Tim Walberg (R-MI) responded today to Attorney General Eric Holder’s announcement that the Department of Justice will limit the scope of its Equitable Sharing Program. The program has been misused by government officials to seize the property of innocent Americans without being criminally charged. In the 113th Congress, Paul and Walberg both introduced legislation to make substantial reforms to the practice of civil asset forfeiture. They plan to reintroduce the companion legislation in the coming weeks.

“Today’s announcement is welcome news for the due process and property rights of the American people. However, the Equitable Sharing Program would be best served by being eliminated through legislative action. Ultimately, Congress must enact meaningful reform which goes beyond addressing just this program and put an end to civil liberty abuses under civil asset forfeiture,” said Congressman Walberg.

“I am glad that the Administration has listened to my calls to reign in civil asset forfeiture abuse, and I applaud this first step. Congress still needs to pass a permanent fix and additional reforms to truly end the ability of government agencies to take and profit from the property of those who have not been convicted of a crime, and I will be reintroducing my bill to make those reforms soon,” said Senator Paul.
http://walberg.house.gov/news/docume...umentID=398518