Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RNC cuts 2016 debate schedule to 12 events - includes debate schedule

RNC cuts 2016 debate schedule to 12 events - includes debate schedule

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/repub...ry?id=28278432

After suffering some 2012 debate fatigue when Republican candidates met to discuss issues more than two dozen times, the Republican National Committee announced today it would be restricting the number of debates in the 2016 election cycle to a total of just 12.

The RNC confirmed at its winter meeting in San Diego that there will definitely be nine debates, with the possibility for three more being added.
    preliminary debate schedule:

Fox News -- August 2015, Ohio

CNN -- September 2015, California

CNBC -- October 2015, Colorado

Fox Business -- November 2015, Wisconsin

CNN -- December 2016, Nevada

Fox News -- January 2016, Iowa

ABC News -- February 2016, New Hampshire

CBS News -- February 2016, South Carolina

NBC/Telemundo -- February 2016, Florida
    Last edited by devil21; 01-16-2015 at 03:23 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Looks like they want to have the nominee decided on Super Tuesday.

Lots to like about this and some to dislike. Only the last 4 debates are going to matter much, other than possible major errors in the first 5. The Jan. debate will mostly just matter in IA. The Feb. debates will mostly just matter in NH, SC, and FL. Every additional debate added after that becomes increasingly important.

With fewer debates, there is a much lower chance the Republican nominee will say things that will hurt him in the general election. With strongly partisan Democrats not being allowed to moderate the debate, the focus will be more positive and hopefully less on highly controversial issues. Still, it was nice attending 2 debates last year. It was also nice attending the Youth for Paul debate watching party. Only 1 debate in NH just seems wrong. Hopefully this will lead to more retail campaigning.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

I don't seem to understand how they can limit the debates like this. What's stopping any major network from just inviting all the candidate to an unofficial debate?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McGuire View Post
    I don't seem to understand how they can limit the debates like this. What's stopping any major network from just inviting all the candidate to an unofficial debate?
    The candidates will get penalized in their delegate count if they participate
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Looks like they want to have the nominee decided on Super Tuesday.
    Yeah, it's pretty much been decided by Super Tuesday the last two cycles.... previous years too
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

The Iowa debate will almost certainly be the first week in January

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    The candidates will get penalized in their delegate count if they participate
    Or a candidate's delegates won't be seated

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It also cuts way down on opportunities for us little people to show up and damage their carefully choreographed and scripted "debates". With much fewer debates for people to attend, expect them all to be filled to the brim with establishment attendees that get all of the tickets and little to no general admission tickets for the rest of us. I went to three debates in 2012. I expect zero in 2016.
    Last edited by devil21; 01-16-2015 at 07:03 PM.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

RNC cuts presidential primary debates to nine

The debates damage the GOP brand? LOL So the less information the voters have about the candidates, the better?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-many...s-is-too-many/

The Republican National Committee announced Friday it would limit the number of presidential primary debates and forums during the 2016 election cycle, acting on concerns that the seemingly endless series of primary debates in 2012 damaged the party's nominee and brand ahead of the general election.

The new rules issued Friday would cut the total number of primary debates dramatically, to at least nine. The first debate will take place in August in Ohio, and the next eight debates will run through February 29, 2016, just after the South Carolina primary. Those eight events, in chronological order, will be held in California, Colorado, Wisconsin, Nevada, Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Florida. Sponsors include CBS News, Fox News, CNN, CNBC, Fox Business Network, ABC News, and NBC/Telemundo.

Each media outlet will set its own threshold for candidate participation, according to the RNC. Those thresholds will likely become more stringent as the primaries continue and the field of candidates is winnowed.
    [...]
    There were 27 GOP debates and forums in 2012, according to Election Central, if you count the two "Lincoln-Douglas" debates that pitted Newt Gingrich against Herman Cain in one and against Jon Huntsman in the other. Party leaders believe the numerous opportunities for candidates to attack one another took a toll.

"I'm trying to limit the opportunity we have to kill each other," RNC Chairman Reince Priebus told the Washington Post. "I've always tried to be a person that sells what I control. I don't like to sell things I don't control. I don't control people's mouths, that's for sure, but what I do control is the length of time we have to kill each other."

Priebus said 2012 debates were "an embarrasment" and "ridiculous," and he vowed after the election to bring the debate process under a tighter yoke by the time 2016 came around.
    AFAIC, with few exceptions, Republican candidates are embarrassing and ridiculous.

The new rules include stiff penalties aimed at forcing candidates to adhere to the prearranged debate schedule: any candidate who participates in a non-sanctioned debate would be banned from subsequent forums.

The new rules also give the RNC a greater degree of control over the moderators and sponsors of the debates -- a move borne out of concern that some mainstream media outlets wouldn't give Republican candidates a fair shake. Details are sketchy, but in a press release, the RNC expressed a desire for a larger "conservative media presence" during the debate season.
    [...]
    "By constructing and instituting a sound debate process, it will allow candidates to bring their ideas and vision to Americans in a timely and efficient way," said Priebus in a press release announcing the new debate schedule. "This schedule ensures we will have a robust discussion among our candidates while also allowing the candidates to focus their time engaging with Republican voters. It is exciting that Republicans will have such a large bench of candidates to choose from, and the sanctioned debate process ensures voters will have a chance to gain a chance to hear from them."
    Mmm hm.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

And I bet they will try to have as many candidates in the race for as long as possible to reduce the time available for someone like Rand to focus down on his opponents.

^ Yep. Rand is going to get less time in the debates than Ron did, and the media's already begun the Rand black-out.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ebates-to-nine
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Have they come up with actual objective criteria on who gets to participate in the debates?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Why is the debate in NH AFTER the NH primary??
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

Fox Business...will Stossel, Judge, etc. be on the panel I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Have they come up with actual objective criteria on who gets to participate in the debates?
    More good news.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-many...s-is-too-many/

Each media outlet will set its own threshold for candidate participation, according to the RNC. Those thresholds will likely become more stringent as the primaries continue and the field of candidates is winnowed.
    --Albert J. Nock

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    So, no objective criteria, and the networks decide. The government-media complex controls all.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    Very good question. Im seeing January 26th 2016 as the scheduled date.

http://www.uspresidentialelectionnew...dule-calendar/
    Last edited by devil21; 01-16-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by King Priebus
    "I'm trying to limit the opportunity we have to kill each other," RNC Chairman Reince Priebus told the Washington Post. "I've always tried to be a person that sells what I control. I don't like to sell things I don't control. I don't control people's mouths, that's for sure, but what I do control is the length of time we have to kill each other."

Priebus said 2012 debates were "an embarrasment" and "ridiculous," and he vowed after the election to bring the debate process under a tighter yoke by the time 2016 came around.
    This guy needs to go. Never thought I'd want Steele back....

That whole article is disturbing. RNC may as well just come out and say it will hand select (per their authoritarian new rules of course) the nominee and $#@! everyone else.

Why bother on watching it? its all scripted they already have their candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    It will likely be within 72 hours of the Primary. Neither the date for the NH Primary nor the debate has been finalized. We might not know the NH Primary date for a couple months or so. The date has to be the first in the nation, by NH law. So if another state moves up, NH has to change the date.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Debates generally do not give good knowledge about the candidates.

No debates until August!? What am I going to do with myself....

I for one am glad they are cutting the debates in half. In practical terms for the GOP, I concur with Priebus that there is less chance for the candidates to weaken each other. More importantly though, 24 debates was a lot when the Republicans were the only ones debating. Remember now that the Democrats will be having their own debates too in 2016.

With not quite a dozen well thought-out events, people of all stripes will be able to sit in on something substantial while participating in their own lives or left/right politics. Candidates will have more of a chance to conduct their electoral strategies meeting with voters. It's a good thing people.
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012

The new rules include stiff penalties aimed at forcing candidates to adhere to the prearranged debate schedule: any candidate who participates in a non-sanctioned debate would be banned from subsequent forums.
    Looking forward to the beautiful blowback and the end of GOP control of the debates!

-t
    Last edited by Bryan; 01-17-2015 at 05:45 AM. Reason: flag

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMan View Post
    No debates until August!? What am I going to do with myself....

I for one am glad they are cutting the debates in half. In practical terms for the GOP, I concur with Priebus that there is less chance for the candidates to weaken each other. More importantly though, 24 debates was a lot when the Republicans were the only ones debating. Remember now that the Democrats will be having their own debates too in 2016.

With not quite a dozen well thought-out events, people of all stripes will be able to sit in on something substantial while participating in their own lives or left/right politics. Candidates will have more of a chance to conduct their electoral strategies meeting with voters. It's a good thing people.
    There were 21 GOP and 25 Dem debates in the 2008 cycle. This new plan, which will surely be adopted by the DNC too, will cut down debates to damn near worthless. This covers radio debates, one on one debates, and online. Read Lucille's article. Any candidate participating in any debate not sanctioned by the RNC will be BANNED from future debates. There will be 9, max 12, tv debates and that's it.

I think less is better, but would like to see more later in the primary where there are less candidates on stage.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I think less is better, but would like to see more later in the primary where there are less candidates on stage.

In an honest 'debate' I would ask you 'the questions' and you would ask me 'the questions'..?Your stinking Republicrat 'debates' are an insult to thinking people...shame on anyone playing along with/affirming any of this stinking fraud...little-leaguers trying to make the team are subject to more honest competition than ?your stinking hand-picked Republicrat puppets..

...STINKING. REPUBLICRATS.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Why bother on watching it? its all scripted they already have their candidates.
    Yes, but every once in a while someone goes off script (think Ron vs Rudy in '08, or Rick Perry last year)

Let's see. So he doesn't want candidates to attack each other? But they can do that anyway on TV ads. In debates the playing field at least exists.* So basically this benefits candidates with a super war chest. Fewer debates also mean less time for the Rick Perrys of the world to put their foot in their mouth and implode before a national audience.

Of course the side benefit is that with fewer debates more people will likely pay attention to the ones that happen.

(I was about to say it was level, then I remembered how some moderators were complete jerks. Like the time Ron Paul was asked the question "Electability. Do you have any?" and that wasn't asked of candidates he was polling higher that).
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

I don't know, I think Rand will get Top Tier time in the debates as a Top Tier candidate, he is a big shot right no and even his biggest critics can't deny it.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast