Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't think Romney will run in 2016:

Lightbulb I don't think Romney will run in 2016:

I'm thinking that Mitt Romney isn't really going to run for President again, but he is alluding to a potential run in order to get some concessions from Jeb Bush in exchange for not running against him.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

You think he wants a white house job in Jeb's administration?

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    You think he wants a white house job in Jeb's administration?
    Not him, maybe one of his sons.

I think he'll run. The guy is just a complete narcissist.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    What kinds of concessions?
    VP spot.

edit: I think he'll run, and then bow out and get behind Jeb. That's just the conspiracy nut in me though.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    VP spot.
    I thought about that after reading this topic. But in my mind Jeb and Mitt are basically the same person. They both represent the same stances overall. They both bring the same people to the polls.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's what many thought about Richard Nixon after his run in 1962 for governor of California.
    Last edited by robert68; 01-13-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Thinking about a Bush/Romney ticket is literally making me physically ill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash (R) MI-3rd
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

THE FUTURE OF THE GOP = R[∃vo˩]ution 2.0: Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NOVALibertarian View Post
    First they ignore you= Ron Paul, 2007-2008
    Then they laugh at you= Ron Paul, 2012
    Then they fight you= Rand Paul, 2014-2015
    And then you win= Rand Paul, November 8th, 2016

Maybe he just wants to raise enough money to pay himself back for 2012.

From Romney's perspective, he would be the frontrunner. A lot of conservatives came to like him because he ran against Obama.

Collins logic always fails

From Romney's perspective, he would be the frontrunner. A lot of neo-conservatives came to like him because he ran against Obama.
    FIFY
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Or there is a backroom deal that Romney will drop out and endorse Jeb.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Collins logic always fails
    Collins logic never fails...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    ...because every future revision was implicit from the beginning, and it's never his fault you weren't smart enough to see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    More on that later. But, in short those conversations -- and my own thinking -- have produced three basic reasons to explain why Romney is doing what he is doing. They are:

1. He doesn't believe Jeb Bush is a terribly strong candidate/frontrunner.

2. He doesn't think anyone in the current field can beat Hillary Clinton

3. He believes he has something more/new/different to offer the country at a critical moment in history.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...esident-again/

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Collins logic never fails...

...because every future revision was implicit from the beginning, and it's never his fault you weren't smart enough to see it.
    Collins already hedging his bets. I called it. Collins logic always fails

What kinds of concessions?
    Popcorn, preztels, sodas, the usual!

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Collins already hedging his bets. I called it. Collins logic always fails
    Nonsense. It simply isn't Collins' fault that you were dumb enough to underestimate him and assume his bet wasn't hedged right from the start.

See, Collins is one of those guys who don't have to call his shots because the ball he sinks is always the ball he intended to sink, and it always goes in the pocket he intended it to go into. So, you know, play pool with the guy. But unless you just feel like kicking the big baby's ass, either make him agree to call every shot verbally or refuse to bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Backroom deals like this NEVER happen, you don't know what you're talking about. Everything is open and honest in politics, ESPECIALLY regarding "our" campaigns and candidates...

I've never believed Romney would run, since the first rumors came out months ago.

Now, I'm not so sure. I give it a 25% chance.

Doesn't worry me though, on balance it would benefit Rand IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    I've never believed Romney would run, since the first rumors came out months ago.

Doesn't worry me though, on balance it would benefit Rand IMO.
    He's running. Collins logic always fails.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post

I never did either. He sounds serious now, though. I don't think its good for Rand at all, Romney has won the nomination before. And polls I have seen suggest that Rand was is the number 2 choice for a number of Romney people.

I would say its too early to know for sure though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    I never did either. He sounds serious now, though. I don't think its good for Rand at all, Romney has won the nomination before. And polls I have seen suggest that Rand was is the number 2 choice for a number of Romney people.

We'll be fine, trust me.

I can't see him running. Too much dirt, he exposed himself as an OCD nutball off-camera with his 'Mitt' documentary, admitted he's a flawed candidate, just too much baggage. I think he's staying in the potential mix to skew early poll results, at the request of the RNC.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post

Mano e mano, Romney is a more formidable opponent than Bush.

But Romney and Bush is a different story.

They'd be courting pretty much the same group of voters, no?

It's not like Binders full of women, Big Bird, 47 percent, the birth certificate remark and so on are going to disappear.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...ser-calls-bid/

Romney phones party allies in preparation for 2016 decision, adviser calls bid ‘very likely’

Let me expand further.... Jeb hurt him in 2012.... Jeb's network actively damaged Romney during the general election and some would say cost him the election. If Romney runs (I don't think he will), it will either to get a concession out of Jeb, or to keep Jeb from winning. I don't see Romney as a vengeance kind of guy, so again I am thinking he is only raising the noise level in order to get Jeb to come to him hat in hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast