Thread: Romney Tells Donors He Is Considering 2016 White House Bid

Romney Tells Donors He Is Considering 2016 White House Bid

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney , the Republican presidential nominee in 2012, told a meeting of donors Friday that he is considering another White House bid in 2016, people present said.

The possibility of a third Romney bid could upend the emerging GOP field, coming as top Republican donors are starting to rally behind former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

Mr. Romney made the remarks during a session Friday afternoon with a few dozen top GOP donors in midtown Manhattan, according to people present.

The former Massachusetts governor didn’t give a timetable for making a decision about another White House run, but he cited unrest overseas as one of the reasons he’s considering another campaign. He also mentioned the long-term health of the economy.

Mr. Romney has sent mixed signals about his intent heading into 2016, repeatedly telling reporters that he isn’t interested in running again while also leaving some close confidants with the impression he might consider it, should other Republicans stumble.

His potential candidacy has been a topic of frequent speculation among donors and operatives as the field takes shape. Many major GOP donors have been waiting to see what Mr. Romney will do before committing to other Republicans who are taking more aggressive steps to launch White House candidacies.

The person who organized the event for Mr. Romney didn’t respond to multiple emails about the Friday session.

At one point during the meeting, one of the attendees asked Mr. Romney if he wanted to be president, a person present said. The 2012 nominee said, yes, of course.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/romney-t...j_nview_latest

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It might be best if he runs to split the establishment donors.

"There's literally nothing I can do. Do we put on my website what my positions are? Do we answer the flipping charges?" he asked. "It's so damaging to me. Is there any way -- it's like trying to convince people that Dan Quayle is smart. You're not going to convince people that Dan Quayle is smart. ... And maybe I've gotta live with that. 'Oh you're flippin' everything.' In which case I think I'm a flawed candidate." - Mitt Romney, exasperated during 2008 primary battles
    http://www.clotureclub.com/2014/01/r...quiet-moments/
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Romney + Bush + Christie + 1 more Moderate/Establishment....Even if Rand doesn't come out of polls 1st or 2nd anymore this could be played to our benefit if you're thinking about it optimistically and if we can match their level of fundraising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash (R) MI-3rd
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

THE FUTURE OF THE GOP = R[∃vo˩]ution 2.0: Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NOVALibertarian View Post
    First they ignore you= Ron Paul, 2007-2008
    Then they laugh at you= Ron Paul, 2012
    Then they fight you= Rand Paul, 2014-2015
    And then you win= Rand Paul, November 8th, 2016

Rand most likely can't beat Romney or Bush.

If he was smart he would make an early state effort, do fairly decently. Then concentrate on staying in the Senate, drop endorse Romney or Bush and be the anointed one for next time around.

Sucks but that is how it works.

I'll vote for Rand if he is on the ballot, but getting all hyped up for something that is hopeless is getting old.

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

That's fine. Dilute the neocon vote some more. Fine. By. Me.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    no mater what I ain't voting for mitt or jeb. I wish Rand would run 3rd party this it might be the best chance a 3rd party candidate ever has.

Ron should run again, drum up a lot of support, then drop out in May and endorse Rand.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Rand most likely can't beat Romney or Bush.

If he was smart he would make an early state effort, do fairly decently. Then concentrate on staying in the Senate, drop endorse Romney or Bush and be the anointed one for next time around.

Sucks but that is how it works.

I'll vote for Rand if he is on the ballot, but getting all hyped up for something that is hopeless is getting old.
    If your premise were correct, then yes I would agree.

But your premise is false. Polling has shown Rand as quite competitive, and in some cases beating those two...... Rand can actually get the nomination.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

They're probably showing Mitt those BS poll numbers where they ask about Mitt as a separate question and trying to get him to run again. If they threw him in the mix, he would poll in the top 3, but not 26% or whatever the last number was. Once some of the candidates announce their campaigns, he will still be doing OK polling slightly above Rubio and Jindal.

Also, if Paul Ryan wants to run, you won't see Mitt doing anything to rock that boat. Actually, unless he starts publicly criticizing the front runners, it's a safe bet he is done with running.
    Last edited by CPUd; 01-09-2015 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Polling has shown Rand as quite competitive, and in some cases beating those two...... Rand can actually get the nomination.
    Swag
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    If your premise were correct, then yes I would agree.

But your premise is false. Polling has shown Rand as quite competitive, and in some cases beating those two...... Rand can actually get the nomination.
    Get it in 20 maybe. Against Bush and/or Romney with all the money in 16? Probably not.

I'll vote for Rand if he is on my ballot, I discourage nothing, just trying to be realistic.

Romney will embarass himself

I echo what others have said, which is that I'll leave the Republican Party if they nominate Romney again, or nominate another Bush. That would prove that they've learned absolutely nothing.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    I echo what others have said, which is that I'll leave the Republican Party if they nominate Romney again, or nominate another Bush. That would prove that they've learned absolutely nothing.
    Sad truth tbh. A Romney or a Bush will leave DRONES of moderates, conservatives and tea partiers with no other legitimate options.

I'll take $#@!T ROBME for the establishment block

Hollywood Squares
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

I wonder...

Does anyone think that Mitt is conducting a power play? Meaning, that he is really not interested in running again, but is interested in making sure Bush doesn't meet his $100 dollar goal. If the high-power donors think Mitt might get in, they may keep their powder dry for a little while to see how it all shakes out. That gives Romney huge power over Bush. Romney is in the driver's seat for fundraising, at least for a little while. This may be Romney's way of sending a message to Jeb, "Give me what I want, or I'll disrupt your fundraising funnels."
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I wonder...

Does anyone think that Mitt is conducting a power play? Meaning, that he is really not interested in running again, but is interested in making sure Bush doesn't meet his $100 dollar goal. If the high-power donors think Mitt might get in, they may keep their powder dry for a little while to see how it all shakes out. That gives Romney huge power over Bush. Romney is in the driver's seat for fundraising, at least for a little while. This may be Romney's way of sending a message to Jeb, "Give me what I want, or I'll disrupt your fundraising funnels."
    I had that exact thought...

I wonder what Romney wants out of all of this? A cabinet appointment? VP? Support for a run for Senate?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I wonder...

This is all to ensure true representation of the people is boxed out and it's always... THE USUAL SUSPECTS

Quite chummy this establishment Klan when you see the company that's 'kept' ...for years. Look for WWE 2016 script

For Jeb Bush and Mitt Romney, a history of ambition fuels a possible 2016 collision - The Washington Post
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 01-11-2015 at 01:03 PM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

I wonder...

This confirms my earlier suspicions: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/22..._r=3&referrer=

WASHINGTON — Jeb Bush and Mitt Romney are scheduled to meet privately this week in Utah, raising the possibility that the two former governors will find a way to avoid competing presidential campaigns that would split the Republican establishment next year, two prominent party members said Wednesday night.

The meeting was planned before Mr. Romney’s surprise announcement two weeks ago to donors in New York that he was considering a third run for the White House.
    They had a meeting set up. Bush announced a goal of $100 million in the first quarter. Romney threw in a monkey wrench to display his power with the donor class. Bush will give Romney whatever he wants to get out of his way. SMH... Rich boy games.

So just send him lots of money, just in case.

Mitt happens.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.