Thread: Can you be considered living “off the grid” with an internet connection?

Arrow Can you be considered living “off the grid” with an internet connection?

Source: LibertyChat.com

I’ve seen a few people on Twitter & Facebook mention how they’re living off the grid, while regularly posting status updates. When I say regularly, I mean multiple times, throughout the day. So they’re either making regular visits to a nearby library, or they’re connected to private or public WiFi, which in either case, is traceable.

As far as I know, unlike electricity or drinking water, you cannot obtain an internet connection without being dependent on a government sanctioned utility, whether it be a local cell tower or a satellite. Furthermore, you make yourself much more vulnerable to government tracking, when you’re connected to an internet source.

So does being on the internet negate a claim of living off the grid? Can you be considered living off the grid, if you’re mostly off the grid while dependent on one public utility?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Only if it's solar, wind, geothermal, water, gas or wood fire powered.

If you use the internet, you are at least visiting the grid.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

"The grid" meant the electrical power grid at one point not long ago, has this meaning changed to include satellite usage?

Living off grid means that if everything goes down in general society you can still survive because you have sustainable food, energy and protection. That has nothing to do with whether you have an internet connection presently. You can live off grid and still obtain things from the grid, as long as the capability to live without the grid is there then I wouldn't be telling those people whether they live on or off grid.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

The NSA has recorded your participation in this topic.
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

I would agree with the notion that 'off the grid' in popular terms (these days) means to produce your own energy. As in, one does not rely on public utilities. Of course I can see the irony in what I just said, the government is trying to 'enforce' net neutrality by calling the internet a utility... But before this is the case I think I have a point.

Living off the grid furthermore means that one is self-sustaining in more ways, such as food production and DIY.

I am really attracted to this lifestyle but then more geared towards homesteading.
    "I am a bird"

Depends on what the meaning of "the grid" is.

Easy enough to make your own electricity, and water isn't terribly difficult to manage if you select your site appropriately - that gets you off the municipal grid.

Then there's the long term version of that in which you grow your own food and make/stock any other supplies you need for long term survival, which gets you off the industrial grid.

Getting off the surveillance-tracking grid is a different beast altogether.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    TOR, WiFi hotspots or hack into someones ie: nothing wired to you or in your name = off the grid.

No electricity, gas, phone, city water or sewage = off the grid.

One significant high altitude EMP or a massive cyber attack and we all go off the grid.

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post

One significant high altitude EMP or a massive cyber attack and we all go off the grid.

-t
    Even out here in the sticks better than 95% of drinking water is pumped via electrical pumps, an EMP would obliterate cities but it would definitely change life in rural America too....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Even out here in the sticks better than 95% of drinking water is pumped via electrical pumps, an EMP would obliterate cities but it would definitely change life in rural America too....
    $70
    Lightweight and highly portable, LifeStraw® Family is ideal to purify water at base camps, while car camping, or when camping with groups. It will purify up to 18,000 liters or 4,755 gallons of water, removing bacteria, protozoa and viruses.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    $70
    I'm good, thanks though.......

I know my area well enough to know caves and springs, rivers and their tributaries, mother nature does a good enough job for me.

I'm good, thanks though.......

I know my area well enough to know caves and springs, rivers and their tributaries, mother nature does a good enough job for me.
    Without filtration, 99% of water sources are contaminated in this country. The only thing you can trust directly are springs and wells.

-t

Without filtration, 99% of water sources are contaminated in this country. The only thing you can trust directly are springs and wells.

-t
    Here is my water filter, the Lifestraw Go. It doesn't filter out viruses like the $70 version but it's only 1/2 the price and is more convenient. Plus, you can attach a pre-filter to it, like a coffee filter, so it will last even longer. It works well in my river.

Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

$70

that picture looks a lot like kludge...
    did you find him?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

-t
    On site artesian well, here. No worries. Ever.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here is my water filter, the Lifestraw Go. It doesn't filter out viruses like the $70 version but it's only 1/2 the price and is more convenient. Plus, you can attach a pre-filter to it, like a coffee filter, so it will last even longer. It works well in my river.

Where can I order one?

Wells work just fine without electricity. You just need a hand pump for the top. Well unless you are over 100 feet or so.

Mine is 100 but water level is 6 feet down. I can hand pump no problem. Hauling buckets is no big deal, power goes down here a lot, you get used to it easy.