Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Rand introduces bill to defund Palestinian foreign aid

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    I'm sure he would support it. Ron was for less spending and less intervention overseas. He wasn't anti Israel. This is a bill that cuts spending and reduces our involvement overseas.
    http://antiwar.com/paul/?articleid=14027

In addition, there was a vote in 2010 or so that came up for - I believe - ending foreign aid to a country for some reason. If I remember correctly, Ron opposed it and made a statement on the floor regarding the matter, saying that while ending foreign aid is good, threatening to pull aid unless condition x is met is intervention and should be opposed.

It's not clear that Ron would support this bill. It's almost safe to say he'd oppose it.

http://antiwar.com/paul/?articleid=11807

Not the issue I was referencing, but more info on Ron's position:

A few months back, I wrote back-to-back weekly messages regarding globalism and isolationism. In writing those columns, I focused on the fact that our nation's interventionist foreign policy was precisely what was isolating us from other countries.

Turkey's recall of their U.S. ambassador in the wake of last week's resolution, passed in the House Foreign Affairs Committee in condemnation of Turkey, is a perfect example of what I wrote in those columns, as well as what I have been saying for years.

The House has passed similar resolutions for years, praising some foreign countries or political groups while chastising others. It is my policy to vote against resolutions of this sort whenever they have the impact of placing our country in the middle of an internal political problem of some other nation, or involving us in some regional conflict. In fact, this is almost always the specific intent of resolutions of this sort. Often, I am the only Member of Congress to vote against these resolutions.

Some have questioned these votes, arguing that they are meaningless statements of opinion. However, I have always been more skeptical, and careful, about voting for these measures. Last week's reaction by Turkey, a long term ally and NATO member, shows that Congress should be a lot more restrained in sticking our government's nose into the affairs of other nations.
    Last edited by Feeding the Abscess; 01-11-2015 at 05:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
    This has nothing to do with your fetish, so stop being a broken record repeating the same thing over and over again because you are too (mod edit) to discuss the topic at hand.
    Yeah I have to agree. I think Ron Paul would vote for this bill. I'm disappointed in Rand for bringing it up though. I just feel bad for the Palestinians.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by maybemaybenot View Post
    First of all, Israel isn't apartheid, Palestine is apartheid. Israel allows Muslims to vote, own land, say w/e they want, go to public schools, w/e. In Palestine, Jews can't live there, ppl are executed for criticizing Islam, renouncing Islam, or selling land to Jews. Hamas doesn't just call for destroying Israel in its charter, it calls for killing Jews. And no, unlike what you said, Israel's 'charter' says no such thing, you just made that up because you live in a fantasy. Israel teaches its kids "disputed territory for a future Palestinian state," while Palestine teaches its kids that it will destroy Israel, and that its okay to kill Jews, both in public schools and children's tv shows. Palestine targets civilians while using their own civilians as human shields, just so they can inflate their death count and blame Israel, and here you are eating up their propaganda.

Palestine was building tunnels to Israel for the sole purpose of transporting terrorists underneath Israel. You think its a war crime to hit those tunnels? Palestine fired 1,500 rockets from residential areas this yr alone, you think its a crime to respond? Hamas has their main HQ underneath Gaza City's main hospital, where's your outrage? Over 100 kids died building Hamas tunnels, where's your outrage? Israel has offered Palestine dozens of peace treaties, including treaties to dismantle settlements, and treaties to give back land won in wars, like in 1967, when they offered THE MAJORITY OF THEIR LAND, but the Arabs wouldn't take it. Palestine doesn't want the West Bank and Gaza, they've been offered it for over a half-century, they want to destroy Israel. Get your facts straight. Palestine realizes that the ICC is far more likely to hurt Israel than Palestine because Palestine executes dissenters as 'collaborators,' so no investigation of Palestine can take place.

Look, I'm for neutrality, but funding Palestine is a crime against humanity. They execute ppl for criticizing Islam, they're no different from the terrorists in Paris. Your entire post reveals one important principle in this conflict: You hold Muslims to lower standards. You pretend Israel and Palestine are one country just because Palestine wants to conquer Israel, thus making it apartheid that they're not the same country. Israel's Muslims have rights, Palestinians invading Israel don't have rights because the government of Palestine practices Sharia law, which includes a never-ending war against Israel for discontinuing Sharia law on land once ruled by Sharia law. That's the conflict.
    I'm going to say this slowly. There is not Palestine. There is no country of Palestine in the modern day world. All that is left is an occupied plot of land. The Palestinian Authority has "authority" over the Palestinians as people. Not an actual sovereign country. What world do you live in? If Palestine was an actual place today, would Israeli settlers be able to get permission from the Israeli government to build houses in Palestine? If Gaza was part of the sovereign country of Palestine, would Israel control the air, sea, all entrances/exits and food supplies? Would the government of Israel be able to cut all power to the Palestinians in their magical country of Palestine?

There is not a conflict between two separate country. It is an occupation of Goliath over David.

EDIT: I said the ruling party of Israel's charter states there can be no Palestinian state. See below:

Likud Party Charter states:

a. “The Jordan river will be the permanent eastern border of the State of Israel.”

b. “Jerusalem is the eternal, united capital of the State of Israel and only of Israel. The government will flatly reject Palestinian proposals to divide Jerusalem”

c. “The Government of Israel flatly rejects the establishment of a Palestinian Arab state west of the Jordan river.”

d. “The Jewish communities in Judea, Samaria and Gaza are the realization of Zionist values. Settlement of the land is a clear expression of the unassailable right of the Jewish people to the Land of Israel and constitutes an important asset in the defense of the vital interests of the State of Israel. The Likud will continue to strengthen and develop these communities and will prevent their uprooting.”
    Last edited by Chieppa1; 01-14-2015 at 07:10 PM.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    http://antiwar.com/paul/?articleid=14027

In addition, there was a vote in 2010 or so that came up for - I believe - ending foreign aid to a country for some reason. If I remember correctly, Ron opposed it and made a statement on the floor regarding the matter, saying that while ending foreign aid is good, threatening to pull aid unless condition x is met is intervention and should be opposed.

It's not clear that Ron would support this bill. It's almost safe to say he'd oppose it.

http://antiwar.com/paul/?articleid=11807

Not the issue I was referencing, but more info on Ron's position:
    ...But funding both Israel and Palestine also puts the US in the middle of of a foreign conflict; this bill doesn't do enough to disentangle, but it does reduce the amount of spending on the particular conflict. Moreover, as I said, this is largely a political ploy to insulate Rand from criticisms-which make no mistake is a necessary step in his path to the Presidency.

Obama has stood up to Israel more than Rand has.

What does that say? This notion of taking over a party from within isn't going to work.

EDIT: Sorry, posted in the wrong place! :
    Last edited by Valli6; 01-01-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456