Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand introduces bill to defund Palestinian foreign aid

Post Rand introduces bill to defund Palestinian foreign aid

From the release:

Sen. Paul Introduces Defend Israel by Defunding Palestinian Foreign Aid Act of 2015

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Sen. Rand Paul today introduced S.34, the Defend Israel by Defunding Palestinian Foreign Aid Act of 2015. This legislation will call for the immediate halt of U.S. aid to the Palestinian Authority until it withdraws its request to join the International Criminal Court (ICC). Under the current U.S. law, America is prohibited from assisting the Palestinian Authority if it seeks ICC claims against Israel. Thus far, the Obama administration has not committed to taking any actions and appears disinclined to cut off aid. The bill text can be found below.

“It is up to the new Republican-led Congress to move on its own so that the President does not once again circumvent clear funding restrictions. We are currently sending roughly $400 million of U.S. taxpayer dollars to the Palestinian Authority,” Sen. Paul said. "Certainly groups that threaten Israel cannot be allies of the U.S. I will continue to do everything in my power to make sure this President and this Congress stop treating Israel's enemies as American allies."

LEGISLATION TEXT:

To prohibit assistance to the Palestinian Authority until it withdraws its request to join the International Criminal Court.
    114TH CONGRESS 1ST SESSION
    Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ‘‘Defend Israel by Defunding Palestinian Foreign Aid Act of 2015’’. SEC. 2. FINDINGS.
    Congress makes the following findings:
    (1) On December 31, 2014, Mahmoud Abbas, the President of the Palestinian Authority, signed several international conventions in an attempt to join the International Criminal Court.
    (2) The Palestinian Authority has indicated that it will seek to use the International Criminal Court as a means to pursue charges against Israel.
    (3) The Palestinian Authority remains engaged in a unity government with Hamas, a terrorist organization responsible for countless deaths and whose charter declares that ‘‘there is no solution to the Palestinian question except by Jihad’’.
    (4) The United States provides more than $400,000,000 in assistance to the Palestinian Authority each year.
    (5) Section 7041(i)(2) of the Department of State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, 2015 (division J of Public Law 133–235) includes limitations on assistance to the Palestinian Authority if it seeks to join the International Criminal Court.
    (6) The United States Government must make immediately clear to the Palestinian Authority that its attempts to join the International Criminal Court will carry serious consequences.
    DAV15028 S.L.C. 3

. 1 SEC. 3. PROHIBITION ON FUNDING.
    Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no amounts may be obligated or expended to provide any assistance, loan guarantee, or debt relief to the Palestinian Authority, or any affiliated governing entity, until the Palestinian Authority withdraws its request to join the International Criminal Court.

Oh, and remember, AIPAC fought against Rand for trying to do this last time around:

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ran.../01/id/569021/
    Last edited by Matt Collins; 01-07-2015 at 12:05 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This bill is better than the last one, but I still don't like the bill.

Are we ending aid to Israel too?

Silly question, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post

Silly question, I know.
    Apparently Rand met with Sheldon Adelson so i doubt it any time soon. I know this will discourage you but it's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Apparently Rand met with Sheldon Adelson so i doubt it any time soon. I know this will discourage you but it's the truth.
    I kinda already acknowledged that I knew it was true.

Oh wow, he supports ending aid to bombed-out third-world country with no international political influence that everybody in the Republican Party already hates. Quite a gutsy move there, Rand. Careful not to pull a groin muscle flexing those balls of steel.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Oh wow, he supports ending aid to bombed-out third-world country with no international political influence that everybody in the Republican Party already hates. Quite a gutsy move there, Rand. Careful not to pull a groin muscle flexing those balls of steel.
    Its purpose is not to be gutsy, but to rather expose the truth of foreign aid. Don't blind yourself to the motives behind this.

Silly question, I know.
    AFAIK, he has never wavered on his position of ending ALL foreign aid (including Israel); just not singling them out to end it or them first. But since he can't get that through, he is trying to prove that the only truth about foreign aid is that it NEVER ends, to ANYBODY.

Silly question, I know.
    Why even ask? That's like saying "are we eliminating sales tax too?" when someone proposes lowering income tax.

The politically viable thing to do is to eliminate aid to Palestinians. Why not pursue it?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So, you want to continue giving them aid? I'm confused. Why are you bitching about this?

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    So, you want to continue giving them aid? I'm confused. Why are you bitching about this?
    If Randal manages to end foreign to Palestine it would be a HUGE victory. IIRC, last time he tried this it was some of Israel's so called biggest defenders that were most opposed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    Of course I don't support continuing aid - to Palestine or to anyone else for that matter - and I think you know that. My point is that this is clearly a shrewd attempt to score some cheap political points by pandering to the worst elements in the Republican Party. If he authored a bill to withdraw foreign aid to every country (including his perennial BFF, Israel), I'd have boatloads of respect for that. I don't respect political pandering, which is precisely what this is.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Look at his reason for ending the aid. What an ass.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    If Randal manages to end foreign to Palestine it would be a HUGE victory. IIRC, last time he tried this it was some of Israel's so called biggest defenders that were most opposed to it.
    Do you really believe Israel's defenders will oppose this bill?

Those in the Senate did last time. Neocons don't want any aid cut for some reason. They also don't want Rand to get any credit for anything viewed as 'pro Israel'
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

From the intelligent people here please leave a positive comment and reply to the confused people on Rand's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/RandPaul/po...52761984416107

Also, on his Senator Facebook Page.

https://www.facebook.com/SenatorRand...91201394265998

Absolutely. Let's name some names. Who in the Senate that you would consider an "Israel defender" do you think will support this bill.

Even better would be if you would start with members of the foreign relations committee, since it would have to get passed through that committee first.

Here is the new list of members of that committee:
    GOP
    Bob Corker, Tenn.
    Jim Risch, Idaho
    Marco Rubio, Fla.
    Ron Johnson, Wis.
    Jeff Flake, Ariz.
    Cory Gardner, Colo.**
    David Perdue, Ga.**
    Johnny Isakson, Ga.*
    Rand Paul, Ky.
    John Barrasso, Wyo.

DEM
    Robert Menendez, N.J., ranking member
    Barbara Boxer, Calif.
    Benjamin L. Cardin, Md.
    Jeanne Shaheen, N.H.
    Chris Coons, Del.
    Tom Udall, N.M.
    Christopher S. Murphy, Conn.
    Tim Kaine, Va.
    Edward J. Markey, Mass.

http://innovation.cq.com/pub/table/index.php?id=240

Rubio and Menendez are both Israel firsters and I predict they will oppose.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 01-07-2015 at 11:56 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Absolutely. Let's name some names. Who in the Senate that you would consider an "Israel defender" do you think will support this bill.

Even better would be if you would start with members of the foreign relations committee, since it would have to get passed through that committee first.

Here is the new list of members of that committee:
    GOP
    Bob Corker, Tenn.
    Jim Risch, Idaho
    Marco Rubio, Fla.
    Ron Johnson, Wis.
    Jeff Flake, Ariz.
    Cory Gardner, Colo.**
    David Perdue, Ga.**
    Johnny Isakson, Ga.*
    Rand Paul, Ky.
    John Barrasso, Wyo.

DEM
    Robert Menendez, N.J., ranking member
    Barbara Boxer, Calif.
    Benjamin L. Cardin, Md.
    Jeanne Shaheen, N.H.
    Chris Coons, Del.
    Tom Udall, N.M.
    Christopher S. Murphy, Conn.
    Tim Kaine, Va.
    Edward J. Markey, Mass.

http://innovation.cq.com/pub/table/index.php?id=240

Rubio and Menendez are both Israel firsters and I predict they will oppose.
    So, Rand will be ineffective. Nothing will change.

Exclamation

As pointed out, yes, they screamed to high heaven when Rand tried to end foreign aid to Palestine last time...

Rand Paul fights against AIPAC because they want to keep foreign aid to Palestinian Authority:

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ran.../01/id/569021/
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

No, if Rand gets a vote on this, then it will shame the other Senators on the issue... it could cause them to lose their next elections. Rand knows exactly what he is doing.

Just getting the vote on a bill is good enough even if it doesn't pass.

So are you changing your outlook now? You no longer are rolling your eyes at the idea that Israel defenders will oppose this bill?

The constant Israel pandering literally makes me nauseous.

So are you changing your outlook now? You no longer are rolling your eyes at the idea that Israel defenders will oppose this bill?
    That never was my outlook. That was only my response to where you changed the subject. My point was that we should be ending all foreign aid, not just aid to Palestine.

Actually it is quite a gutsy move. The establishment including AIPAC fought against this the last go around, no doubt they will do the same this go around. He's forcing them to go on record as being against this bill, which is going against AIPAC. You have to see farther down the road which is what Rand is fighting for. Now he'll have two different bills with two different names to use at his disposal to counter the "you hate Israel" attack that will be used against him. This comes at the perfect time as well because I'm sure he's aware of who was behind the recent round of media attacks against him. He's going to now expose their politicians for something that should be a no brainer. Well, at least amongst their constituency. So lets take a count. He's introduced a declaration of war against isis, and has also introduced a bill to cut off funding to Israel's enemy, yet there were no takers. Rand is simply laying the groundwork for the anti semite smear that will no doubt be used against him. Let the man play his game of chess. While many may not understand his strategy, others can see it quite clearly. He's just got to hope his most hardcore/fathers supporters don't cut him off before the real game gets started...

That never was my outlook. That was only my response to where you changed the subject. My point was that we should be ending all foreign aid, not just aid to Palestine.
    Yes and him introducing a bill to end all foreign aid, vs. ending aid to Israel's enemy have equally as much chance as actually passing.. However, by doing this, he can expose the members that are against it and cut off the future attack of Rand hates Israel argument that no doubt will be used against him. While he may not be flawless, he's playing as good of a game as you're ever going to see.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Those in the Senate did last time. Neocons don't want any aid cut for some reason. They also don't want Rand to get any credit for anything viewed as 'pro Israel'
    There is the belief in the establishment that all of this aid - whether to Israel or not - buys influence with the leaders of those countries. For example, if they were to do something we didn't agree with, we could threaten to pull their aid. This mentality believes this is what the dictators listen to. (After all, those in the establishment listen to the same thing from their lobbyists.)

Because of that, some of Israel's biggest supporters in Congress will always fight against unilaterally stopping this aid.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

AIPAC lobbies agenda is exposed again, they want status quo with US tax payers funded occupation of Palestinians ( that plot requires buying puppet politicians among Palestinians and dictators in Egypt to blockade Palestinians from both sides) and probably do not mind resulting blowbacks to use them as excuse for mideast wars /more interventions.

AIPAC opposes Rand Paul's bill to cut aid to Palestinians

AIPAC opposes cuts in Egypt aid

www.jta.org/.../aipac-in-senate-letter-opposes...Jewish Telegraphic Agency
    Aug 1, 2013 - The American Israel Public Affairs Committee urged Senators not to cut assistance to Egypt.

Next Rand should also call for ending all mideast aid including to only non-racist democracy there to put an end to parasitic culture.

Related

US aid to foreign countries in 2015, and why (INFOGRAPHIC)

Caution, very graphic images of USTF (US Tax Payers Funded) bombing aftermath in Gaza

Billboards calling for cutting aid to Israel springing up across Montana

Here's the take over at the neoconservative Free Beacon:

Rand Paul Moves to Cut U.S. Aid to the Palestinians Over ICC Bid
    Second time Paul has sought to eliminate aid to PA

BY: Adam Kredo - January 6, 2015

Sen. Rand Paul (R., Ky.) introduced a bill late Tuesday that would fully eliminate U.S. aid to the Palestinians until their leadership withdraws a controversial bid to join the International Criminal Court (ICC), according to a copy of the legislation exclusively obtained by the Washington Free Beacon.

Paul’s bill comes on the heels of a bid by the Palestinian Authority and its President Mahmoud Abbas to win a seat on the ICC, which would allow the Palestinians to inundate the court with charges against Israel for so-called war crimes and other perceived infractions.

The new bill also responds to a direct request from Israel that Congress immediately punish the Palestinians for circumventing the peace process and pursuing action against Israel on the world stage.
    This is the second time that Paul has taken the lead to eliminate aid to the Palestinians.

The senator spearheaded a bill in April to cut off U.S. aid to the PA in response to its formation of a unity government with the terror group Hamas.

Unlike the current piece of legislation, last year’s bill would have made U.S. aid contingent on the unity government explicitly recognizing Israel’s right to exist.

Doug Stafford, a senior Paul adviser, told the Free Beacon that the United States has no business funding “an anti-Israel propaganda trial” at the ICC.

“The Palestinian Authority received well over $400 million last year to peacefully interact with Israel,” Stafford said. “Currently, the Palestinian Authority is trying to join the anti-American International Criminal Court and they are claiming war crimes by Israeli soldiers. Sen. Rand Paul does not think American tax dollars should be used to fund an anti-Israel propaganda trial.”

While it is unclear if the Obama administration will back Paul’s bill, State Department officials have said that they are reviewing possible action.

“We’re deeply troubled by the Palestinian action,” State Department Spokeswoman Jen Psaki said on Monday.

The Palestinian’s ICC bid “is entirely counterproductive and does nothing to further the aspirations of the Palestinian people for a sovereign and independent state,” Psaki said. “It badly damages the atmosphere with the very people with whom they ultimately need to make peace.”
    http://freebeacon.com/politics/rand-...-over-icc-bid/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by rich34 View Post
    Yes and him introducing a bill to end all foreign aid, vs. ending aid to Israel's enemy have equally as much chance as actually passing.. However, by doing this, he can expose the members that are against it and cut off the future attack of Rand hates Israel argument that no doubt will be used against him. While he may not be flawless, he's playing as good of a game as you're ever going to see.
    U.S. political figures would rather shoot their own mothers in the head rather than allow anyone to think they hate Israel.

U.S. political figures would rather shoot their own mothers in the head rather than allow anyone to think they hate Israel.
    That'd make a helluva game show.

I would like to see aid ended to all countries. But attempting to end aid to any country is good as far as I'm concerned.

“Some people are purists, and I get grief all the time — all these libertarian websites hating on me because I’m not as pure as my dad. And I’m putting restrictions on foreign aid instead of eliminating foreign aid altogether. And I’m like: ‘Look, guys, I’m having trouble putting these restrictions on, much less eliminating them! So give me a break!’ ” ~Rand Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast