Thread: 8 Amazing Health Benefits of Ginger

8 Amazing Health Benefits of Ginger

8 Amazing Health Benefits of Ginger

by Lisa Egan

Versatile, flavorful, and therapeutic, ginger is quite a wonder plant.

The rhizome of the plant Zingiber officinale, ginger is indigenous to southern China. It eventually spread to the Spice Islands, other parts of Asia, and then to West Africa and the Caribbean. In the first century AD, ginger was exported to Europe via India, thanks to the lucrative spice trade. Currently, India is the largest producer of ginger.

Healers have praised ginger for its medicinal properties for thousands of years and it is a folk medicine favorite. Its use as a stomach soother goes back centuries. As one sixteenth-century physician put it: “Ginger does good for a bad stomach.” In The Family Herbal from 1814, English physician Robert Thornton noted that “two or three cupfuls for breakfast” will relieve “dyspepsia due to hard drinking.”

Modern science has proven ginger’s effectiveness not only as a remedy for nausea and vomiting, but for a host of other health ailments.

Here are some areas in which the therapeutic properties of ginger have been studied:

1. Inflammation of the colon: A study conducted at the University of Michigan medical school and published in the journal Cancer Prevention Research found that a ginger root supplement administered to volunteer participants reduced inflammation markers in the colon within a month. This is significant because inflammation of the colon is a precursor to colon cancer.

2. Ovarian cancer: A study showed that exposing ovarian cancer cells to a solution of ginger powder resulted in their death via apoptosis (cell suicide) or autophagy (the cells digested/attacked themselves) in every single test. This study, conducted at the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, also showed that the ginger solution prevented the cancer cells from building up resistance to treatment.

3. Asthma symptoms: Researchers at Columbia University found that airway smooth muscle (ASM) tissues exposed to asthma medication combined with purified components of ginger exhibited greater relaxation than those treated with the medication alone.

4. Liver damage caused by acetaminophen: Scientists at the National Research Centre in Egypt found that ginger can prevent liver damage caused by the painkilling medication.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Seriously though, I need to add more ginger to my diet. I just don't know what to use it in except Asian food.

Mmm...ginger.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I don't eat men and if I eat cookies, they're gonna be chocolate chip or Granny's Sour Cream cut outs - I'm a bit of a "cookie purest". I think I'm going to try the tea or the ale. I'll do that tonight and report back tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I don't eat men and if I eat cookies, they're gonna be chocolate chip or Granny's Sour Cream cut outs - I'm a bit of a "cookie purest". I think I'm going to try the tea or the ale. I'll do that tonight and report back tomorrow.
    LOL! I like ginger snaps...haven't found a good recipe for them yet.

There is a traditional New England drink that involves ginger - switchel. It is apple cider vinegar, ginger, molasses/local honey/maple syrup and water. There is a reason people have been drinking this for 100s of years for health. Imagine a traditional Gatorade that settles your stomach and keeps your immune system strong.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    There is a traditional New England drink that involves ginger - switchel. It is apple cider vinegar, ginger, molasses/local honey/maple syrup and water. There is a reason people have been drinking this for 100s of years for health. Imagine a traditional Gatorade that settles your stomach and keeps your immune system strong.
    Thanks, Keith!

I think Suz will like this: http://www.vtswitchel.com/shop/

Just peel some ginger, cut it into pieces, throw it in a pot with some water and boil it then drink the tea.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Thanks, Keith!

I think Suz will like this: http://www.vtswitchel.com/shop/
    I'm gonna try Keith's recipe tonight. I hate taking that ACV, maybe this will make it more palatable.

I'm gonna try Keith's recipe tonight. I hate taking that ACV, maybe this will make it more palatable.
    More expensive, but made for you and they taste good:

If you like it you can try and replicate the taste with the switchel recipe.
    Last edited by dannno; 01-06-2015 at 02:14 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Here is from that cite with recipes: http://www.vtswitchel.com/recipes/

Gerry, a Vermont Switchel Comapny fan from the Rutland area gave us this recipe dubbed the “HayMakers Mark”.

2 ounces Makers Mark Bourbon

6-8 Ounces Vermont Switchel

A few drops of Orange Bitters

Shake and serve on the rocks, Enjoy!
    That's what I'm talking about. Heh. Heh.

//
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Here is from that cite with recipes: http://www.vtswitchel.com/recipes/

That's what I'm talking about. Heh. Heh.

That actually sounds perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    More expensive, but made for you and they taste good:.
    Switchel tastes good. You just add molasses/local honey/maple syrup to taste. It's a poor person's drink but you can use fresh ginger and organic acv if you want to get fancy. And of course, add rum or whiskey
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.