Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Carry Activist C.J Grisham Finalist for Dallas Morning News Texan Of The Year

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    As always, there is a mixture of motives among individuals. But some of these guys have SAID, and the same has been implied in this thread, that they are intentionally trying to make people uncomfortable with their open rifle carry so that those scared people will support concealed carry so they won't be scared anymore. THAT is an extortionate intent. Trying to scare people so they will do what you want is a kind of extortion. Yes, they have a right to carry a rifle. That isn't even part of this discussion. My point is that the way they are using their right HURTS the cause of rolling back legal impairment of firearms carry and use. It is a bad idea.
    It's the beginning and the end. As far as I am concerned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As always, there is a mixture of motives among individuals. But some of these guys have SAID, and the same has been implied in this thread, that they are intentionally trying to make people uncomfortable with their open rifle carry so that those scared people will support concealed carry so they won't be scared anymore. THAT is an extortionate intent. Trying to scare people so they will do what you want is a kind of extortion. Yes, they have a right to carry a rifle. That isn't even part of this discussion. My point is that the way they are using their right HURTS the cause of rolling back legal impairment of firearms carry and use. It is a bad idea.
    Correction: Support open carry of handguns.

They are pointing out the absurdity that it is legal to OC long guns, but illegal to OC handguns.
    Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense.
    -Ron Paul

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't know if the activists are accomplishing their goal but I do know that both gubernatorial candidates campaigned on supporting open carry of handguns. (the democrat, after losing, reversed her position)

The reasoning behind the open carry activists with rifles is that everyone, including most Texans, think of Texas as a big pro-gun state with cowboys carrying six shooters on their hip. The activists are bringing up the fact that this is not true at all.

A Constitutional Carry Bill has been filed. Sign this petition supporting it. And contact your legislators. I want my open carry and I want it now!

Just because you are free to do something doesn't mean you should. And, by the way, you DON'T have a Constitutional right to wear a gun on private property.
    There are however, potential legal ramifications for private properties that are open to the general public, where being "armed" is not otherwise prohibited by public law.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    There are however, potential legal ramifications for private properties that are open to the general public, where being "armed" is not otherwise prohibited by public law.
    If you are talking about tort liability, you might be right, although I am not aware of any successful lawsuit based on a property owner's requirement that people not carry arms on their property - nor should there be.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

If you are talking about tort liability, you might be right, although I am not aware of any successful lawsuit based on a property owner's requirement that people not carry arms on their property - nor should there be.
    When you think about, the subject is very similar to the recent case involving the cake baker who lost in the lawsuit for refusing service to same-sex partners--though in that case bearing more on the First Amendment, you could as well argue that the right to at all times defend yourself is just as much a religious issue as marriage existing as a union between only a male and female.

ETA:

If you are going to open your property for public access (for profit), you will also need to prepare yourself to open your mind up for expanding horizons, or else to open your wallet for impending lawsuits.
    Last edited by Weston White; 01-06-2015 at 09:51 AM.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12