Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitcoin Is Getting Smoked To Start The New Year Down 16%

Bitcoin Is Getting Smoked To Start The New Year Down 16%

Bitcoin is under $300 for the first time since November of 2013. It's down ~16% to start 2015.

After peaking at $1,147.25 in December of 2013, it's been one long, slow descent for Bitcoin.

It's not good for Bitcoin, which had tremendous hype when its price was exploding. But, it's not necessarily the worst thing in the world, either.

Fred Wilson, a startup investor who is bullish on bitcoin, said the following in a blog post about what he thinks happens in 2015:

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/bitco...#ixzz3Ns00Q0vi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The "cool factor" wearing off?

FYI, bitcoin was under $300 in October, so this is not the first time.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

I thought the intrinsic value in BTC was the cost to mine them. The expenses of equipment and electricity. I thought as more get mined the cost to mine them goes up. With that said if it keeps dropping people won't be able to affor to mine them. But I guess there would be no need to mine them because the low price could be indicative of a slowing demand.

Gold, silver, oil, bitcoin, all down. Connection? Predictions?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    After the government squeezes every last dollar they can and regulate the masses into oblivion, those that have gold & or silver in storage will be the winners.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Dollar up.

In October it hit 275 then shot back up to 475. Play the swings for more BTC until the ecosystem works itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I thought the intrinsic value in BTC was the cost to mine them. The expenses of equipment and electricity. I thought as more get mined the cost to mine them goes up. With that said if it keeps dropping people won't be able to affor to mine them. But I guess there would be no need to mine them because the low price could be indicative of a slowing demand.
    Mining keeps the system running. It doesn't just produce new BTC, mining processes the ledger transactions for the network. When the spot price drops, the hashrate usually drops with it. I'm not sure if the hashrate will see much of a decrease this time tho.

Go here if you want to watch the next estimated diff change in real-time and see other stats.
    http://www.bitcoincharts.com/

The "intrinsic" value that backs Bitcoin and protects its supply is the math that makes cryptography and encryption work.
    Last edited by muh_roads; 01-05-2015 at 01:38 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    Dollar up.
    Winner winner!

Still think bitcoin is a load of crap however and what's happening is the people who were trying to make a quick buck are now leaving.

No one can explain why bitcoin is 100x more valuable than litecoin or any other crypto coin other than it was first and that's a terrible argument for it being a store of value.

Still stacking gold and silver and still feeling great about the decision despite the last 3 years of $#@!...
    It's just an opinion... man...

Quote Originally Posted by muh_roads View Post
    In October it hit 275 then shot back up to 475. Play the swings for more BTC until the ecosystem works itself out.

Mining keeps the system running. It doesn't just produce new BTC, mining processes the ledger transactions for the network. When the spot price drops, the hashrate usually drops with it. I'm not sure if the hashrate will see much of a decrease this time tho.

Go here if you want to watch the next estimated diff change in real-time and see other stats.
    http://www.bitcoincharts.com/

The "intrinsic" value that backs Bitcoin and protects its supply is the math that makes cryptography and encryption work.
    And why is that so much more valuable than the other 100+ crypto currencies now out there?
    It's just an opinion... man...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    Dollar up.
    Gold has done better against every currency in 2014 except the dollar.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneButPaul View Post
    And why is that so much more valuable than the other 100+ crypto currencies now out there?
    Because more people use and accept bitcoin, it has greater infrastructure.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Because the demand for it is greater. Because it is more widely used. That is what the market has decided so far.

To add to what dannno said, the strength of a crypto is also measured by its global hashrate. The market has chosen Bitcoin. Many alts out there have been abandoned and have broken blockchains. You can't withdraw many $#@!coins from exchanges even if u wanted to.

Still think bitcoin is a load of crap however and what's happening is the people who were trying to make a quick buck are now leaving.
    Being able to send any amount of money you want for pennies to anyone in the world with no middleman or central authority is not "a load of crap". Bitcoin can get around Government sanctions and even the great firewall of China.

If you took the time to understand and research Bitcoin more, you'd appreciate what people are trying to do in this industry. You don't have to like Bitcoin, but you could at least appreciate peoples desire for freedom to transact with what they want. Crypto will force the legal tender law debate one day. And that is also a win for metals.
    Last edited by muh_roads; 01-05-2015 at 04:12 PM.

The geopolitical global currency war currently going on doesn't factor in right?
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Winner winner!

No one can explain why bitcoin is 100x more valuable than litecoin or any other crypto coin other than it was first and that's a terrible argument for it being a store of value.

Still stacking gold and silver and still feeling great about the decision despite the last 3 years of $#@!...
    You're full of it. There doesn't have to be a reason for bitcoin to be so valuable. "It's first" is reason enough because the market develops consensus over time instead of just automatically spreading into similar inventions based on merit. The market isn't always based on merit.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Because who cares about those other ones? A consensus has developed around bitcoin, and that's enough for the market to value it more than the rest.

It seems that all currencies control wealth. Wealth that was once stored in peoples pockets is now all in banks or digital. A person use to walk around with a tangible piece of wealth now they have some number.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Because more people use and accept bitcoin, it has greater infrastructure.
    That is why Bitoin is more valuable now. It is not a good reason to assume it will be the same way later. What happens if a coin with a more sustainable architecture catches on and starts building an infrastructure that starts rivaling bitcoin's?

The one advantage that bitcoin does have for being first, which no other coin can really compete with at the moment, is that bitcoin has the most fair initial distribution, even considering how top-heavy it is. Compared to other coins, it isn't even close. This is why I feel that if any altcoin ever does replace bitcoin, the initial allocation will either start off as a bitcoin fork, or it will involve a two-way peg with bitcoin such the new chain does not need its own separate coin.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Bitcoin is very bloated with the miner subsidy and massive payments for electricity. Each transaction still costs $15
    https://blockchain.info/charts/cost-per-transaction
    That makes Western Union seem cheap, and that doesn't even mention ...

hady exchanges with high fees/restrictive identification verification if you ever want to convert BTC to currency.
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    The one advantage that bitcoin does have for being first, which no other coin can really compete with at the moment, is that bitcoin has the most fair initial distribution, even considering how top-heavy it is. Compared to other coins, it isn't even close. This is why I feel that if any altcoin ever does replace bitcoin, the initial allocation will either start off as a bitcoin fork, or it will involve a two-way peg with bitcoin such the new chain does not need its own separate coin.
    The two-way peg implementation exists only for the purpose of protecting Sidechain's as they operate behind BTC's enormous mining hashrate. A Sidechain can not change the integrity of Bitcoin's Blockchain. That always continues to function on its own as if nothing was attached to it.

I'm just not worried about another alt taking over right now. If we see it coming, I think we'll start to know. We'll already have the BTC to switch to anew.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    so the market dictates a bitcoin limit by price at market verses mining cost.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    Bitcoin is very bloated with the miner subsidy and massive payments for electricity. Each transaction still costs $15
    That is a weak and very disingenuous argument you are trying to make by not talking about who the burden of transaction cost is shifted to.

The minimum fee to send BTC is still 0.0001 as the sender. And the receiver sees no fee. The miner's costs aren't being forwarded to the merchant either. Western Union is forwarding its costs to its consumers. BIG DIFFERENCE.

When I swipe my credit card I don't think about how much it costs all the middlemen to process the transaction. And it will always exist that way so long as mining exists.

Eventually ASIC miners will be built into "always on" household appliances like refrigerators & freezers. It might not be much but it will help offset the electrical cost for people.

Quote Originally Posted by muh_roads View Post
    That is a weak and very disingenuous argument you are trying to make by not talking about who the burden of transaction cost is shifted to.

The minimum fee to send BTC is still 0.0001 as the sender. And the receiver sees no fee. The miner's costs aren't being forwarded to the merchant either. Western Union is forwarding its costs to its consumers. BIG DIFFERENCE.

When I swipe my credit card I don't think about how much it costs all the middlemen to process the transaction. And it will always exist that way so long as mining exists.

Eventually ASIC miners will be built into "always on" household appliances like refrigerators & freezers. It might not be much but it will help offset the electrical cost for people.
    This is assuming miner rewards, in a few years there won't be any miner rewards anymore, and what will that mean? Either not many people will mine bitcoins anymore, or the transaction fee per coin will have to significantly go up.

not talking about who the burden of transaction cost is shifted to.
    Right now its shifted to people buying Bitcoin, as it being hyped as going to $10,000 and beyond, and anyone who buys Bitcoin will own their own private island in a few years. That's what is subsidizing it now, new people buying in/hype/ponzi/greater fool.

Right now, 3600 bitcoins are mined per day, even at current deflated price of $280, that means the Bitcoin network needs a $1 million dollar subsidy to miners (for electricty and rent and ACIC mining equipment) to keep its price stable.

Also none of this even covers the issue of actually converting BTC for money which in itself is a huge troublesome process.
    Last edited by squarepusher; 01-05-2015 at 07:26 PM.
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

hady exchanges with high fees/restrictive identification verification if you ever want to convert BTC to currency.
    This particular metric is like combining the operating costs of VISA and (including electricity to run their many worldwide offices) and dividing it by how many transactions they process, plus the merchant fee.

Quote Originally Posted by amonasro View Post
    This particular metric is like combining the operating costs of VISA and (including electricity to run their many worldwide offices) and dividing it by how many transactions they process, plus the merchant fee.
    Yes it is, but if I am doing my math correctly, with VISA's $12.7 billion in annual revenue (operating cost plus merchant fee, which is mostly in the form of collecting interest), and 2,000 transactions per second which equals 63 billion transactions processed per year, that would be $0.20 per transaction...
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    Yes it is, but if I am doing my math correctly, with VISA's $12.7 billion in annual revenue (operating cost plus merchant fee, which is mostly in the form of collecting interest), and 2,000 transactions per second which equals 63 billion transactions processed per year, that would be $0.20 per transaction...
    meanwhile Bitcoin can only handle 2.7 transactions per second max...
    Also Visa offers plenty of buyer protection (in case of fraud), and also acceptance everywhere in the world. With Bitcoin you can buy a few places, takes 1 hour confirmation time and no consumer protection. Why are people buying Bitcoin other than the promise of being rich?
    Last edited by squarepusher; 01-05-2015 at 08:33 PM.

Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

meanwhile Bitcoin can only handle 2.7 transactions per second max...
    I thought it was 7 txns per second. In either case though, that is a major concern. I would point out the "cost per transaction" as you calculate it, has been decreasing. There has been quite a lot of attention devoted to scalability, and numerous altcoins have already attempted to deal with this in various ways. But can bitcoin do it?

Life, Liberty, Logic

If you include the cost of the built in inflation - the block rewards - as part of the cost then sure, I guess you could say each transaction costs some. Those rewards do halve on a regular basis, in 2 years there is less reward for a miner.

Realistically, for me to send you $10 USD equivalent right now it would cost me a few cents.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    If you include the cost of the built in inflation - the block rewards - as part of the cost then sure, I guess you could say each transaction costs some. Those rewards do halve on a regular basis, in 2 years there is less reward for a miner.

Realistically, for me to send you $10 USD equivalent right now it would cost me a few cents.
    It only costs you a few cents, but since you are not attaching a transaction fee of $15 to the miners, the miners will be selling that $15 on the open market to cover their expenses. So you sending $10 to someone for a few cents results in a $15 sell order on the open market.

I'm a proponent of bitcoin, btw, but I do see this as being a significant problem

Life, Liberty, Logic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast