Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Official Bacon Thread

We better stop talking about bacon if we want AIPAC to back Rand.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I'm gonna have to try this magical bacon. Where would I find such a thing?
    Wellshire farms sells it in Whole Foods stores where you can find it reliably. Once in a blue moon it'll show up in a Lowes or a Harris Teeter. If you can find a grocery store frequented by Jewish persons the chances of finding it go up about 500%. It's still hard to find, but it's easier to find than it used to be. Nearly any hard-core hipster grocer is probably going to carry it. I've had Gwaltney and Wellshire and both were amazing. I have also heard good things about Godshall's and John Morrell but I've never had a chance to try their beef bacon.

I've actually been thinking about getting 5lb of the stuff and trying to make beef bacon jerky in the dehydrator......

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    We better stop talking about bacon if we want AIPAC to back Rand.
    No, it's OK. I am providing a kosher alternative. Their offence will be utterly minimized (concerning the bacon, anyway) on account. You are welcome Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Wellshire farms sells it in Whole Foods stores where you can find it reliably. Once in a blue moon it'll show up in a Lowes or a Harris Teeter. If you can find a grocery store frequented by Jewish persons the chances of finding it go up about 500%. It's still hard to find, but it's easier to find than it used to be. Nearly any hard-core hipster grocer is probably going to carry it. I've had Gwaltney and Wellshire and both were amazing. I have also heard good things about Godshall's and John Morrell but I've never had a chance to try their beef bacon.

I've actually been thinking about getting 5lb of the stuff and trying to make beef bacon jerky in the dehydrator......
    That sounds like the flavor of treats I buy my dog.

Thanks for the Whole Foods tip, we don't have Harris Teeter anymore and the only Lowes we have is a home improvement store.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bacon is diet food.

I lost weight by eating lots of bacon and cream. Here's a scientific explanation for why.

When I want to lose weight, I pack on the bacon. Even if I just want to remain healthy, I make sure to love me some butter.
    http://www.vox.com/2015/1/6/7481067/high-fat-diet

Yeah, Right

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Pretty sure we've already had an official bacon thread where I posted this:

That has to be a gag.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Theocrat View Post
    That has to be a gag.
    For real.

You can buy them here, in case you're looking for some.
    https://baconsalt.3dcartstores.com/B...oms_p_177.html

Bacon condoms (seriously)

Bacon condoms, yep. An American company (God bless American innovation) has created the bacon condom. It looks just like bacon, and if you use their bacon-flavored lubricant, it even tastes like bacon.

I’m not kidding.

The company, J&D’s, says that of the 5 billion condoms sold worldwide every year, none look or taste like bacon. Until now.

The company announces that the condoms are “proudly Made in America,” because you wouldn’t want some cheap foreign knock-off bacon condom.

As for the bacon-flavored lubricant, it’s apparently a lubricant and a massage oil. I love a good massage, and I love bacon. I’m not however convinced that I’d want to have bacon-scent rubbed all over me.

Interestingly, the company says that the idea did in fact originally start as an April Fool’s joke. But they had so many people write in interest, that they decided to create the product for real. Unlike Scope’s bacon-flavored mouthwash that was indeed an April Fool’s joke that apparently a lot of people didn’t get.

I’ll give them credit for taking something that can kill you and melding it with something that can save you.

Oh, and you vegans can put your minds at ease, the company notes that the bacon lubricant, and I suppose the bacon condom as well, are “vegan-safe.” Well, that’s a relief.

And once you’re done enjoying your bacon condom, make sure you bacon floss (wish I were kidding, I’m really not):

And just in case all that bacon activity kills you, the bacon condom company also sells a bacon coffin for $2,999.99.

The description is, understandably, a bit odd:

Is there a better way to show your love of bacon forever than to be buried wrapped in it? We don’t think so.

This genuine bacon casket is made of 18 Gauge Gasketed Steel with Premium Bacon Exterior/Interior, and includes a Memorial and Record Tube, Adjustable Bed and Mattress and Stationary and Swingbar handles. It also includes a bacon air freshener for when you get that buried-underground, not-so-fresh feeling.

There are all sorts of unusual caskets out there – motorcycles, PBR cans, iPhones, tanks, Star Trek themes and more. We think that your final resting place deserves the eternal glory that is bacon.

No returns accepted.
    http://americablog.com/2013/04/bacon...seriously.html

So I am at this salad bar at a grocery here in Houston.

I add a little chicken , oh look at that, shrimp, ok, put some of that in there.

Then I see the mother load, bacon, copped up bacon, real bacon, not the dried out crusty stuff.

So I take some.

Well I am back in my hotel room eating now, I didn't put nearly enough of that tasty bacon on my salad!

Frick!!

Moral of story, never scrimp on bacon. Load up.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    So I am at this salad bar at a grocery here in Houston.

I add a little chicken , oh look at that, shrimp, ok, put some of that in there.

Then I see the mother load, bacon, copped up bacon, real bacon, not the dried out crusty stuff.

So I take some.

Well I am back in my hotel room eating now, I didn't put nearly enough of that tasty bacon on my salad!

Frick!!

Moral of story, never scrimp on bacon. Load up.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Salad bar, Deviled eggs, shrimp, bacon
    In a friggin' airplane cockpit!

I like my bacon chewy.

Why’d He Pour Water Over Bacon?

Everything is better with bacon. I mean, there is just something about bacon on a Sunday morning that makes me want to jump out of bed. I’ve been cooking bacon for years and didn’t think the delicious morning treat could get any better – but now that I’ve seen this, all bets are off!

In this latest video by America’s Test Kitchen, the chef explains that in order to properly prepare bacon, you actually need to pour water over it to help keep the initial cooking temperature low, so that the meat retains its moisture and stays tender. He goes on the explain that by the point the water reaches its boiling point, the bacon fat is almost completely rendered, so you’re much less likely to burn the meat. What you’re left with is plump, crisp, delicious bacon that isn’t tough or brittle. I had no idea about this cooking hack. I can’t wait to try it!

Have you ever tried this?

http://buzz.hotmomsclub.com/whyd-he-...-great-secret/

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I just added Sichuan and Chongqing to places I would like to visit.

Is bacon causing air pollution in China?

Chinese officials say that bacon is behind the spike of air pollution in several urban centers, reports MarketWatch.

Officials in Sichuan are blaming locals who smoke bacon at home for the recent spike in heavy air pollution. Though bacon-smoking is not the only factor contributing to the rise in air pollution, officials from Dazhou municipality in northeastern Sichuan have cited the practice as the main cause, according to a report from state-run China News Agency.

But Dazhou is not the only city suffering from increased air pollutants. In Chongqing, the region’s largest city, the state-owned Evening News reported a recent “climb in PM 2.5,” which is a pollutant made from tiny particles that can harm lung function amid other health problems. While the report also cited smoking pork as the culprit, not all officials agree.

Zheng Jian, who heads the Chongqing-based social-service agency Bayu NPO Development Center, acknowledged that while making bacon can affect the air it’s highly unlikely that the act would have a “substantial impact” on air pollution levels.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...ntcmp=HPBucket

Hey, look what I found at wallyworld:

Last edited by GunnyFreedom; 01-31-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Hey, look what I found at wallyworld:

Fried some of this up today..... NOM NOM NOM NOM it was only with the most extreme measure of self control I did not eat the entire package.

ETA -- Honestly I'm having a hard time not getting up right now and making the rest of it lol
    Last edited by GunnyFreedom; 02-02-2015 at 08:04 PM.

What Makes Christianity Great?

"Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Bump for National Pig Day

I must confess, I tried turkey bacon this morning.... HORRIBLE CHOICE.... HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE....

Tomorrow's breakfast... Three eggs over easy, double order of Oscar Myers bacon, grits, and a short stack of blue berry pancakes..
    Coffee and a double shot of Jameson... Jameson and Oscar... Two great artist....

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-20-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acesfull View Post
    I must confess, I tried turkey bacon this morning.... HORRIBLE CHOICE.... HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE....

Tomorrow's breakfast... Three eggs over easy, double order of Oscar Myers bacon, grits, and a short stack of blue berry pancakes..
    Coffee and a double shot of Jameson... Jameson and Oscar... Two great artist....
    Turkey should never, ever, under any circumstances, be called 'bacon.' If you are really looking for a non-pork bacon, you should try beef bacon. It's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    DW brought me home honey-siracha rubbed bacon for pi day tomorrow!
    That sounds awesome. Where does one acquire such a delicacy??

Turkey should never, ever, under any circumstances, be called 'bacon.' If you are really looking for a non-pork bacon, you should try beef bacon. It's amazing.
    You are correct about turkey. I keep forgetting to look for beef bacon. I'm going to put that on my list, it sounds interesting.

Last edited by specsaregood; 05-20-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    You are correct about turkey. I keep forgetting to look for beef bacon. I'm going to put that on my list, it sounds interesting.
    For you especially, I would think. It stays chewy longer than pork bacon when you are cooking it. You can actually bake it and it's easy to keep it perfect between a little bit of crunchy and a lot more chewy. You might actually have to dehydrate the cooked beef bacon to make them crunchy enough to be beef bacon bits.

I usually broil bacon out of laziness. I can put a whole package on a large broiler pan, go do whatever for 10 minutes, come back and it's basically done. lay out on paper towels and eat like crazy. IMHO pork bacon doesn't broil very well at all. it gets a lot drier, crunchier, with burnt flavors. Beef bacon, on the other hand, broils up very well, but it still pan fries really good too.

When you pan fry, it will be harder to keep beef bacon in distinct strips than pork. I saw a friend of mine cook beef bacon in a cast iron skillet, she used a big two-prong fork and just stirred it all into each other, and it worked really well even if it ends up as a 'giant knot o bacon.' but she was breaking it up for ingredients so she didn't care about keeping it in identifiable strips. Some reason the grain goes across beef bacon instead of all the way down it, so it's a lot easier to fall apart when pan frying.

If "giant knot of bacon" is good enough, then the big 2-prong fork on a cast iron skillet cooked it better than I would have believed possible. Once it started rendering, she just kept stirring it over until the whole thing was rendered, fried it a bit and it was perfect.

Still, it's easier for me to just lay out a whole pack on a big broil pan and broil it up. I think you can just broil it at 500 for 6-7 minutes, or what I try to do is broil for 3 minutes, bake at 425 for 6 minutes, and then broil for another minute or two watching for the 'level of doneness' you want.

Bake/broiling doesn't really work as with pork bacon. I would only pan fry pork bacon, not cook in oven so much. With beef bacon it works as well as frying, and it takes less work. I am guessing that has a lot to do with the kind of meat.

For you especially, I would think. It stays chewy longer than pork bacon when you are cooking it. You can actually bake it and it's easy to keep it perfect between a little bit of crunchy and a lot more chewy. You might actually have to dehydrate the cooked beef bacon to make them crunchy enough to be beef bacon bits.

I usually broil bacon out of laziness. I can put a whole package on a large broiler pan, go do whatever for 10 minutes, come back and it's basically done. lay out on paper towels and eat like crazy. IMHO pork bacon doesn't broil very well at all. it gets a lot drier, crunchier, with burnt flavors. Beef bacon, on the other hand, broils up very well, but it still pan fries really good too.

When you pan fry, it will be harder to keep beef bacon in distinct strips than pork. I saw a friend of mine cook beef bacon in a cast iron skillet, she used a big two-prong fork and just stirred it all into each other, and it worked really well even if it ends up as a 'giant knot o bacon.' but she was breaking it up for ingredients so she didn't care about keeping it in identifiable strips. Some reason the grain goes across beef bacon instead of all the way down it, so it's a lot easier to fall apart when pan frying.

If "giant knot of bacon" is good enough, then the big 2-prong fork on a cast iron skillet cooked it better than I would have believed possible. Once it started rendering, she just kept stirring it over until the whole thing was rendered, fried it a bit and it was perfect.

Still, it's easier for me to just lay out a whole pack on a big broil pan and broil it up. I think you can just broil it at 500 for 6-7 minutes, or what I try to do is broil for 3 minutes, bake at 425 for 6 minutes, and then broil for another minute or two watching for the 'level of doneness' you want.

Bake/broiling doesn't really work as with pork bacon. I would only pan fry pork bacon, not cook in oven so much. With beef bacon it works as well as frying, and it takes less work. I am guessing that has a lot to do with the kind of meat.
    Now I really want to try it, I love chewy bacon.

Last edited by specsaregood; 05-20-2016 at 08:12 PM.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    FWIW, this was the result the day after I cooked a pound of beef bacon.
    I s beef bacon fat as good as pork bacon fat? I love to fry eggs in bacon fat, it gives them that little extra something.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast