Econ in one Lesson
    Principles
    Capital and Interest
    Positive Theory of Capital
    Human Action
    Money and Credit
    Man Economy and State

After that, the Austrian School imo is really repetitive and basic

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm not an expert yet, but IMHO that's accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Until you change the error in the thread title, there are a few more books that I would recommend.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

6-8? Does that mean 7?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    6-8? Does that mean 7?
    Or -2?

I'm a big tent libertarian, and there's more to laissez faire than just the Austrians, and indeed more than economics to any good political philosophy. That's why I use the 'Paleo' prefix and also refer to myself as a traditionalist and a neoreactionary. Cultural issues may even be more important than economics, but they are at the very least as important. My three favorite living ancaps are Hans-Herman Hoppe, Brian Caplan (despite his idiocy when it comes to immigration) and David Friedman; only one of them is an Austrian. Chicago is a very rich economic school, despite what its become in recent years.

Other books that libertarians and right wing allies must read:
    The Machinery of Freedom
    The Myth of the Rational Voter
    Democracy: the God That Failed
    The Bell Curve
    Intellectuals and Society
    Alien Nation

There are others, but those are a few.

This is how a cult starts...

Quote Originally Posted by 56ktarget View Post
    I agree with you here.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    Econ in one Lesson
    Principles
    Capital and Interest
    Positive Theory of Capital
    Human Action
    Money and Credit
    Man Economy and State

After that, the Austrian School imo is really repetitive and basic
    Man, Economy, and State was the most boring read until the very end.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I agree with you here.
    Amy, I'm not sure I follow you. And I'm not sure you're understanding the OP. The way I read it, he's saying 6-8 books are all you need to read to understand Austrian economics. That's not the same as saying 6-8 books are all you need to read period. And frankly....that's a lot of books for one subject. Someone ought to write Austrian economics for dummies.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Most cults are started by charismatic liars who distract their adherents from the fact they're getting robbed by telling them the lie that they're somehow helping some unseen poor people somewhere. And they generally depend on catchphrases, brainwashing techniques like repetition, and 'magic' numbers like 56,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

You mean like this one?
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Amy, I'm not sure I follow you. And I'm not sure you're understanding the OP. The way I read it, he's saying 6-8 books are all you need to read to understand Austrian economics. That's not the same as saying 6-8 books are all you need to read period. And frankly....that's a lot of books for one subject. Someone ought to write Austrian economics for dummies.
    I'm not an econ person, for the most part--so no, I don't understand someone saying that you only need to read 6-8 books in order to be complete (my assumption from the title.) I should stay away from economics topics, but sometimes I don't notice the subforum.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

You are forgetting:

The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money - John Maynard Keynes
    Principles of Economics - Alfred Marshall
    On the Principles of Political Economy and Taxation - David Ricardo
    The Wealth of Nations - Adam Smith
    Principles of political economy - Thomas Malthus
    Wage Labour and Capital - Karl Marx
    The Theory of Price - George Stigler

Don't misunderstand me, the Austrians have helped make some great advances in economics, but lets stop pretending it is all them.

I agree with you here.
    did you Honor him with a neg rep? or should I?

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Someone ought to write Austrian economics for dummies.
    OK, how about if I start.

only the gubbermint is Keynesian. YOU are Austrian.

(how am I doing?)
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    did you Honor him with a neg rep? or should I?

Why would I do that? Why would you? If you neg rep him, I'll just plus rep him.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

Why would I do that? Why would you? If you neg rep him, I'll just plus rep him.
    ooh, la la!!

I LOVE it when you talk French!!

(I thought he was trying to set a record or something.. my bad... )

Last edited by HVACTech; 02-20-2015 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    ooh, la la!!

I LOVE it when you talk French!!

(I thought he was trying to set a record or something.. my bad... )

In reply to your question: Hot Lips Houlihan.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I'm not surprised English Grammar For Dummies isn't on your list.

I'm not an econ person, for the most part--so no, I don't understand someone saying that you only need to read 6-8 books in order to be complete (my assumption from the title.) I should stay away from economics topics, but sometimes I don't notice the subforum.
    I see your point. I'm not an economics expert either. I don't know if I'd understand Austrian Economics in just 6 to 8 books. But the only way to know is if I read the 6 to 8 books. I think the OP might be assuming a basic understanding of economics. It's kind of like one of those "Teach yourself calculus in 21 days" books assumes a basic understanding of algebra.

Quote Originally Posted by Slutter McGee View Post
    You are forgetting:

Don't misunderstand me, the Austrians have helped make some great advances in economics, but lets stop pretending it is all them.
    Yeah. Having a basic understanding of other schools of econ probably makes understanding the Austrian school easier.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Most cults are started by charismatic liars who distract their adherents from the fact they're getting robbed by telling them the lie that they're somehow helping some unseen poor people somewhere. And they generally depend on catchphrases, brainwashing techniques like repetition, and 'magic' numbers like 56,000.
    LOL. Took me half a second to get that embedded joke. But yeah, asking people to read books on their own from disparate authors is pretty much the opposite of cult behavior.

You are forgetting:

Let me save you all some time.

Marx = value is objective = you can stop reading there

Keynes = prices are sticky = you can stop reading there

....seriously, no reason to ever read those two unless you want to quote them for mockery purposes.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And this is how a thread turns to shyte.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    You mean like this one?
    Behold, the visage of American stupidity run amok.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I should stay away from economics topics...
    That is a gross and grotesque error. If you claim an interest in liberty, a commensurate interest in economics is virtually mandatory. The two are inextricably intertwined and there can be no reasonably complete understanding of the former without one of the latter. Dead serious on this.

Get thee to the books, rather than a nunnery**.

** "Get thee to a nunnery.", the famous line admonishes Ophelia to a whore house and not a convent, as so commonly taken.
    Last edited by osan; 03-21-2015 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    You mean like this one?
    Ugh.

They're all moist...including the dude.

This thread was designed for Austrian Econ. Not econ in general. There are several other books I would recommend to read on a variety of issues.
    You are forgetting:

None of these books need to be read besides Marx and Keynes.