Thread: Marc Faber says - Invest in Physical Precious Metals Stored Outside the US

Marc Faber says - Invest in Physical Precious Metals Stored Outside the US

Dr Marc Faber, respected economic historian and author of the ‘Gloom, Boom and Doom Report’, has warned that 2015 is set to be very volatile, urged international diversification and owning “physical precious metals stored outside the U.S.”

http://goldirarolloverexpert.com/mar...united-states/

What are your thoughts on storing gold bullion - OUTSIDE of the US?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who do you trust? What is your reason for keeping your gold outside the US? In the event of a global crisis would that country be any safer (if the US collapses much of the rest of the world will follow)? Worried about the US Government? If you are using a gold IRA to store gold abroad (which the article is about) the government will have to know exactly how much gold you have. Cost? They will be charging you fees to store your gold for you. Accessibility? Might be hard to get to-especially in a crisis- plus with limits on travelling with gold if you want to pick it all up. Amounts over $10,000 must be declared. http://www.airsafe.com/issues/baggage/cash.htm

More gold IRA rules:
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gol...-1309886856846

The Internal Revenue Code allows IRAs to own certain gold, silver and platinum coins, as well as gold, silver, platinum and palladium bullion that meet applicable fineness standards. For example, an IRA can own American Gold Eagle coins, Canadian Gold Maple Leaf coins, American Silver Eagle coins, American Platinum Eagle coins and gold and silver bars (bullion) that are 99.9% pure or better. Some well-known gold coins, including the South African Krugerrand, are off limits, as are bullion bars that are not sufficiently pure. The coins or bullion must be held by the IRA trustee rather than the IRA owner. In other words, you can't have your IRA buy coins or bullion and stash them in your safe deposit box or bury them in your backyard. These tax rules apply equally to traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs, simplified employee pension (SEP) accounts and Simple-IRAs. No problems so far.

The big issue with IRA ownership of precious metal assets is finding a trustee that is willing to set up a self-directed IRA, handle the transfer of funds to the precious metals dealer and facilitate the physical transfer and storage of the coins or bullion. None of the major brokerage firms are willing to play, leaving only a handful of outfits in the game, including Sterling Trust Company, American Estate & Trust, LLC, GoldStar Trust Company and the Entrust Group. Most trustees will arrange for the physical storage of coins and bullion with the Delaware Depository Service Company in Wilmington, Del.

The trustee will typically charge a one-time IRA set-up fee (perhaps $25 to $50), an annual management fee for producing account statements and handling other paperwork ($75 to $250), and an annual fee for storing and insuring the coins or bullion ($125 to $250). Additional fees may be charged for various transactions, including account contributions and distributions and purchases and sales of coin or bullion. The IRA owner is usually on his own when it comes to finding a precious metals dealer to sell coins or bullion to the IRA or to buy coins or bullion from the account. Examples of such dealers include USAGOLD-Centennial Precious Metals and Goldline International.

If you don't have physical possession of your PMs, you don't have them. Keep 'em in a safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

The only gold I am going to invest in is gold that I can hold in my hands.

So is that as safe as investing in GLD? I own that gold and I can get my gold whenever I want, right? Sounds like a good idea. I hope that nice young Corzine boy is in charge of it.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Who do you trust? What is your reason for keeping your gold outside the US? In the event of a global crisis would that country be any safer (if the US collapses much of the rest of the world will follow)? Worried about the US Government? If you are using a gold IRA to store gold abroad (which the article is about) the government will have to know exactly how much gold you have. Cost? They will be charging you fees to store your gold for you. Accessibility? Might be hard to get to-especially in a crisis- plus with limits on travelling with gold if you want to pick it all up. Amounts over $10,000 must be declared. http://www.airsafe.com/issues/baggage/cash.htm

More gold IRA rules:
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gol...-1309886856846
    What he said^
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

There are advantages to holding your gold in your own safe, sure...

But there are tax advantages of holding physical gold in segregated vault storage through a self-directed IRA also... Using companies such as Brinks. If we're ever in a position where you need your gold ASAP - most gold IRA companies can liquidate/deliver your metals in under 7 days.

Also, how safe is it to hold more than a few thousand dollars of bullion in your home? - When people open gold IRAs, they're usually rolling over anywhere from @ 5-20% of 401k funds... I read somewhere (I don't remember where), the average American with a gold IRA rolls over @ $80,000 into gold.

If I want a portion of my nest egg in precious metals, I'm going to want the tax advantages of an IRA, I do NOT want to be penalized for removing funds from my 401k to fund my home stash, AND I'm not comfortable holding THOUSANDS of dollars worth of bullion in my home. So a gold IRA does make sense...

But like others - I'm not sold on holding my gold in Singapore!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4Paul2016 View Post
    There are advantages to holding your gold in your own safe, sure...

But there are tax advantages of holding physical gold in segregated vault storage through a self-directed IRA also... Using companies such as Brinks. If we're ever in a position where you need your gold ASAP - most gold IRA companies can liquidate/deliver your metals in under 7 days.

Also, how safe is it to hold more than a few thousand dollars of bullion in your home? - When people open gold IRAs, they're usually rolling over anywhere from @ 5-20% of 401k funds... I read somewhere (I don't remember where), the average American with a gold IRA rolls over @ $80,000 into gold.

If I want a portion of my nest egg in precious metals, I'm going to want the tax advantages of an IRA, I do NOT want to be penalized for removing funds from my 401k to fund my home stash, AND I'm not comfortable holding THOUSANDS of dollars worth of bullion in my home. So a gold IRA does make sense...

But like others - I'm not sold on holding my gold in Singapore!
    Isn't the point that the Feds will confiscate everyone's gold whether in hand or an IRA, in a financial emergency situation?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Isn't the point that the Feds will confiscate everyone's gold whether in hand or an IRA, in a financial emergency situation?
    they'll have to get a shovel if they want mine

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

The only time gold has been confiscated was when we were on a gold standard which we aren't anymore. The government does not need more gold to back up their currency like they did back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    The only time gold has been confiscated was when we were on a gold standard which we aren't anymore. The government does not need more gold to back up their currency like they did back then.
    The idea that the government confiscated civilian gold to back the dollar is preposterous. First of all, the government paid for the gold, thereby putting more of the currency into circulation that needed to be backed making it a neutral transaction with respect to the amount of gold in storage per dollar in circulation. Secondly, the government actually didn't collect much private gold and was not very interested in actually getting much. Thirdly, all the government needed to do to increase gold backing was to change the exchange rate, which it did shortly after the confiscation. Fourth, if all government needed to do was bolster gold supplies to back existing dollars, it would not have needed to make gold contraband for forty years.

The US government made gold illegal, not to build its own supply, but to force the people to use the dollars that were no longer backed by gold for mere mortals. It was all about demonetizing gold to remove restraints on the government's fiat money manipulation.
    Last edited by Acala; 01-03-2015 at 08:12 AM.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Precious metals and gold have always been the best assets to invest in, as they do not lose their value and liquidity over the years. The fact is that abroad you can purchase these assets at a small and favorable price.

I tend towards the "if you don't hold it, you don't own it" school of thought BUT if there is a significant chance that you will expat or flee the country, this could be a way to make that happen without unfortunate, seizure.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    The US government made gold illegal, not to build its own supply, but to force the people to use the dollars that were no longer backed by gold for mere mortals. It was all about demonetizing gold to remove restraints on the government's fiat money manipulation.
    The gold-grab was done after cabal decided they'd engineer WW2.
    >_<