Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you have for New Years dinner ?

What do you have for New Years dinner ?

Looks like we are having cabbage with onion and smoked sausage , black eyed peas .

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Looks like we are having cabbage with onion and smoked sausage , black eyed peas .
    Hog jowls, black-eyed peas and collards.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Black eyed peas (for peace), hominy (for harmony), turnip greens (for money) and turkey (cause it's leftover from Christmas).
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

And whiskey.
    "The Patriarch"

Blackeyed eyed peas with ham, wild rice with mushrooms, mixed green salad with pecans, blue cheese and vinaigrette, fresh fruit with orange honey dressing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by Carlybee; 01-01-2015 at 02:14 PM.

My family is German heritage. That means sauerkraut and pork. Pork because a pig can't turn its head around so it can only look foreward.

Black-eyed peas, collard greens, steak-n-gravy, mashed potatoes, and wine.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    My family is German heritage. That means sauerkraut and pork. Pork because a pig can't turn its head around so it can only look foreward.
    Yep. That's my family's tradition. Sauerkraut, pork, mashed potatoes on New Year's day. My dad fancied it up for the eve and always got steak and lobster along with a good bottle of wine and some sort of liquor for a mixed drink. Generally martini's or Manhattan's.

I ended up only eating some ice cream that I made yesterday though. Holidays have gotten to be a tad depressing.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

I keep telling you guys and you won't listen - bbq tri-tip...

I hear all this "waahhh wahhh wahh" from people who don't live in California about how tri-tip is similar to some other type of cheap cut, and how it is 'ok' but not 'great' and a whole bunch of other nonsense.

A bbq tri-tip is one of the most tender, juicy and flavorful cuts you will eat - IF cut and cooked properly.. Now I'm not saying it is as tender as a filet, but it is juicier and tastier...

When you bite into a cut of tri-tip, it should be like squeezing out a wet rag it's so juicy and the flavor should be very strong beef flavor along with some nice smoke and char.

A tri-tip should have some, but not all of the fat trimmed off (you can buy them trimmed or trim them yourself)

A tri-tip needs a good rub with salt and pepper and other seasonings or an overnight marinade.

A tri-tip should be seared for a couple minutes or so on each side over a hot flame, then put over a low flame to slow roast for 20-30 minutes depending on the size. I prefer medium rare and usually think anything above that is sacrilege, but tri-tip can be brought to medium for large gatherings and still retain the flavor, moisture and tenderness.

Preferably it is cooked on this type of grill with hickory wood and a crank so you can adjust the distance from the flame:

I use a regular hibachi and put the coals off to one side and use the hot side for the sear, then cover while on the roasting side of the grill.

It should be let to rest for about 13-15 minutes and then sliced thinly against the grain.

The best part about tri-tip is that it is a large roast that is very tasty and can feed a lot of people and it is fairly inexpensive.

People like to make tri-tip sandwiches, I'm not a big fan of bread for health reasons but they do make a great sandwich..

Leftovers can be used for sandwiches, re-heated for steak and eggs, or can be made into tri-tip chili.

Winter BBQs are one of the benefits to a warmer climate like California.
    Last edited by dannno; 01-01-2015 at 02:38 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

collards and black eyed peas and corn bread...

What's in the marinade, Dannno? When someone says "BBQ" and they aren't from places like Kansas, Memphis or a handful of other places (California isn't one of them), It's about 99% assured that I won't like it.

Last time I went to a restaurant, the waitress screwed up my order and I ended up with their barbecue--I only tasted a tiny bit of the sauce and it was horrible. Tasted like cheap sugary syrup with some boring spices in it. Of course, I always thought that I hated barbecue until I got some ribs in Memphis--it was just a dry rub. Amazing stuff.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

My family is having pork and sauerkraut in accordance with Pennsylvania German tradition.
    Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    And whiskey.
    Lot's of it.

Shepard's pie, here.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2016 at 10:16 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We have to go over to the mother in law's place and have pork and sauerkraut. Yuck.

The past two years, I've been able to cop out and say that I couldn't go because I had a lot of work to do but I think I have to go this time or else I'm in the dog house. Which, really, ain't so bad.

Back home we used to have black eyed peas and greens and whatnot. I don't like black eyed peas either. I think maybe because mom burned them once when I was a lil feller and I never tried them again.

Maybe a good excuse to start that apple cleanse thingamabob tomorrow.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 01-01-2015 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    We have to go over to the mother in law's place and have pork and sauerkraut. Yuck.

The past two years, I've been able to cop out and say that I couldn't go because I had a lot of work to do but I think I have to go this time or else I'm in the dog house. Which, really, ain't so bad.

Back home we used to have black eyed peas and greens and whatnot. I don't like black eyed peas either. I think maybe because mom burned them once when I was a lil feller and I never tried them again.
    I eat 'em but black eyed peas aren't my favorite, they taste dirty to me. I prefer field peas and snaps but BEP's are tradition and my mom would have a fit if I didn't eat them.

Oklahoma tradition for luck in the new year: Black-eyed peas (lots of ketchup helps out a bunch) with pork and cornbread.

Yesterday, we had a pork roast and sauerkraut for dinner.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 01-01-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    What's in the marinade, Dannno? When someone says "BBQ" and they aren't from places like Kansas, Memphis or a handful of other places (California isn't one of them), It's about 99% assured that I won't like it.

Last time I went to a restaurant, the waitress screwed up my order and I ended up with their barbecue--I only tasted a tiny bit of the sauce and it was horrible. Tasted like cheap sugary syrup with some boring spices in it. Of course, I always thought that I hated barbecue until I got some ribs in Memphis--it was just a dry rub. Amazing stuff.
    Down here , we call the dry rub ribs , ST Louis style .It is good . Where a couple of my kids live around the Ky . Tenn border there are small bbq places that cook pork shoulder steak like that , I always eat at one when I go visit , they have a sauce you can get too, but it is like vinegar and black pepper , pretty tasty. I cook it like that here too because the Mrs loves it as much as I do. If I use a marinade I usually just use a good Italian dressing . I make my own dry rub , but a jar of Mrs Dash , Original is similar to my rub if you threw in some extra black pepper .

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I keep telling you guys and you won't listen - bbq tri-tip...

I hear all this "waahhh wahhh wahh" from people who don't live in California about how tri-tip is similar to some other type of cheap cut, and how it is 'ok' but not 'great' and a whole bunch of other nonsense.

A bbq tri-tip is one of the most tender, juicy and flavorful cuts you will eat - IF cut and cooked properly.. Now I'm not saying it is as tender as a filet, but it is juicier and tastier...

When you bite into a cut of tri-tip, it should be like squeezing out a wet rag it's so juicy and the flavor should be very strong beef flavor along with some nice smoke and char.

A tri-tip should have some, but not all of the fat trimmed off (you can buy them trimmed or trim them yourself)

A tri-tip needs a good rub with salt and pepper and other seasonings or an overnight marinade.

A tri-tip should be seared for a couple minutes or so on each side over a hot flame, then put over a low flame to slow roast for 20-30 minutes depending on the size. I prefer medium rare and usually think anything above that is sacrilege, but tri-tip can be brought to medium for large gatherings and still retain the flavor, moisture and tenderness.

Preferably it is cooked on this type of grill with hickory wood and a crank so you can adjust the distance from the flame:

I use a regular hibachi and put the coals off to one side and use the hot side for the sear, then cover while on the roasting side of the grill.

It should be let to rest for about 13-15 minutes and then sliced thinly against the grain.

The best part about tri-tip is that it is a large roast that is very tasty and can feed a lot of people and it is fairly inexpensive.

People like to make tri-tip sandwiches, I'm not a big fan of bread for health reasons but they do make a great sandwich..

Leftovers can be used for sandwiches, re-heated for steak and eggs, or can be made into tri-tip chili.

Winter BBQs are one of the benefits to a warmer climate like California.
    That looks outstanding Danno .

So my family is the only one that did the peas and hominy pun? Seems like everybody loves peas but what good is peas without hominy?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Popeye's

"Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Theocrat View Post
    I love Popeyes. It's the only fast food I eat.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Baked chicken, baked yam and peas. Nothing special. (but pretty tasty)
    "The Patriarch"

Beer.
    And whiskey.
    Baked chicken, baked yam and peas. Nothing special. (but pretty tasty)
    Beer and whiskey's a tough act to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Beer and whiskey's a tough act to follow.
    True, but a guy has to eat sometime.
    "The Patriarch"

We had chili. I forgot to buy my usual cabbage (for money) and black eyed peas (for luck). They haven't been working very well anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothbardian Girl View Post
    My family is having pork and sauerkraut in accordance with Pennsylvania German tradition.
    This and black eyed peas is our old Pa/German tradition but dad went into the hospital this morning with vertigo so dinner was bumped to saturday. (He is fine!)
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Nothing says Freedom like outlawing everything
    I make videos at my YouTube channel. Home of my aquaponics diary. Feel free to subscribe, thumbs up, comment or leave nasty messages, I love them all.

Yeah, I bitcoin! And I love donations!! 1Fs2JaaWVhp69yvUxuTnofomowejZLuMru

Quote Originally Posted by TomKat View Post
    This and black eyed peas is our old Pa/German tradition but dad went into the hospital this morning with vertigo so dinner was bumped to saturday. (He is fine!)
    My Mom had vertigo once, it's awful. She was sick to her stomach and couldn't stand up - crazy. I'm glad he's feeling better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast