Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll says majority of Americans support menu labeling

Poll says majority of Americans support menu labeling

More than half of Americans say they already have enough information at restaurants to decide whether they are making a healthy purchase. But they want even more.

According to an Associated Press-GfK poll conducted in December, most Americans favor labeling calories on menus in fast food and sit-down restaurants. Most favor labels for prepared foods in the grocery store, too.

The poll was conducted a little more than a week after the Food and Drug Administration announced new rules that will require restaurants and other establishments that sell prepared foods and have 20 or more locations to post the calorie content of food "clearly and conspicuously" on their menus, menu boards and displays. Companies will have until November 2015 to comply.

---

MAJORITY SUPPORT MENU LABELING

A majority of Americans - 56 percent - favor requiring fast food restaurants to post calorie amounts on menus, while 54 percent favor the calorie postings at sit-down restaurants and 52 percent favor the labels at prepared food counters at grocery stores.

Slightly fewer approved of requiring the calorie postings in other dining locations. Forty-nine percent of Americans supported posting calories on coffee shop menus and 44 percent approved of the postings on vending machines and at movie theaters. Forty-three percent favored calorie postings in amusement parks. All of those establishments will be required to post calorie amounts under the new FDA rules.

Only about 1 in 10 Americans oppose labeling requirements at each of these places. The remainder said they neither favor nor oppose each requirement.

---

WOMEN, DEMOCRATS MOST SUPPORTIVE

Women are more likely than men to say they favor labeling requirements at restaurants and prepared-food counters, though a majority of men support the labeling at fast food restaurants and around half support it at sit-down restaurants. College-educated respondents are more likely than those without a college education to favor labeling requirements at all of the establishments.

The support appears to be relatively bipartisan. Democrats are significantly more likely to support the calorie postings than independents or Republicans, but a slim majority of Republicans still support calorie postings at restaurants.

---

PEOPLE CARE ABOUT CALORIES, SUGARS, FATS

The idea behind the rules is that people may pass on that bacon double cheeseburger if they know it has hundreds of calories - and, in turn, restaurants may make their foods healthier to keep calorie counts down. The menus and menu boards will tell diners that a 2,000-calorie diet is used as the basis for daily nutrition, noting that individual calorie needs may vary. Additional nutritional information beyond calories, including sodium, fats, sugar and other items, must be available upon request.

When they're judging whether a food item is a healthy choice or not, 55 percent of Americans say how many calories it contains is very or extremely important to them. Same with sodium levels.

Sugar and fat were slightly more important to health-conscious diners - 61 percent said sugar was very or extremely important when deciding on healthy purchases and 59 percent said the same about the amount of fat.

Only 36 percent of Americans said they feel the level of vitamins and minerals is extremely or very important when making healthy purchases, and even fewer - 23 percent, less than a quarter - said the same about whether an item is organic. Women and people living in urban areas were most likely to make organic food a priority.

---

AMERICANS ARE ALREADY INFORMED

Even though a majority favors more calorie labeling, most Americans say they already have enough information to decide whether they are making healthy purchases at restaurants.

Sixty percent say they now have enough nutrition information at sit-down restaurants and 56 percent say they do at fast food restaurants. That number drops to 48 percent at prepared food counters in grocery stores.

Around a third say they don't have enough information to decide if they are making a healthy purchase in any of those places.

When it comes to the grocery store, 75 percent of people say they have enough information to make a healthy choice. Unlike restaurants, where nutritional information is often a mystery, nutrition facts panels have been required on packaged foods since the 1990s. The FDA included prepared foods at supermarkets in the menu labeling rules as grocery stores have increasingly sold restaurant-like offerings.

The menu labels were required by Congress as part of health overhaul in 2010. The FDA has said they are just one way to combat obesity, since Americans eat and drink about one-third of their calories away from home.

Michael Taylor, FDA's deputy commissioner of foods, said the agency knows there is strong interest from the public in the labeling.

"It's not a magic wand, but it will help people make better choices about their diets," he said.
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/1...menu-labeling/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Poll says vast majority of polls are fraudulent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Poll says vast majority of polls are fraudulent.
    Links?

No way. I want to be surprised. Just bring me something random.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

When they're judging whether a food item is a healthy choice or not, 55 percent of Americans say how many calories it contains is very or extremely important to them. Same with sodium levels.
    Calories is one of the least important things to know. Ingredients is far more important.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

A man who likes to live on the edge.

The Rise of the No-Choice Restaurant
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestr...ce-restaurant/

BTW, if you own an Asian joint, those crappy photos aren't doing your sales any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

A man who likes to live on the edge.

The Rise of the No-Choice Restaurant
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestr...ce-restaurant/

BTW, if you own an Asian joint, those crappy photos aren't doing your sales any good.
    Oooh. I already run one of those restaurants at home--very small client base and zero profit.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Calories is one of the least important things to know. Ingredients is far more important.
    True , but they will not be labeled correctly anyway , most likely.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah , I stopped by my local bar yesterday evening .I did not even look at the menu , I got the shrimp basket and the Mrs got a half of a grilled chicken salad .

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Oooh. I already run one of those restaurants at home--very small client base and zero profit.
    I give mine a choice. Eat or don't eat.

I thought that was pretty much the rule in those sorts of restaurants.

You guys do anything special for New Year's? My mom always made pork and sauerkraut, on New Year's eve it was generally lobster and steak (not for us kids though.)
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

I thought that was pretty much the rule in those sorts of restaurants.

You guys do anything special for New Year's? My mom always made pork and sauerkraut, on New Year's eve it was generally lobster and steak (not for us kids though.)
    Black-eyed peas and collard greens are the New Years staple.

Throw in some fried chicken, and I'll invite myself over.

Never had collard greens--how do they compare to kale?

Throw in some fried chicken, and I'll invite myself over.

Never had collard greens--how do they compare to kale?
    We're having steak-n-gravy (country fried cube steak) and mashed potatoes with the greens and beps but you're welcome anytime. My mom doesn't know how to cook for less than 50.

I've never had cooked kale. Of the cooked greens I've had, I prefer collards but everyone else in the house likes turnip greens better.

We're having steak-n-gravy (country fried cube steak) and mashed potatoes with the greens and beps but you're welcome anytime. My mom doesn't know how to cook for less than 50.

I've never had cooked kale. Of the cooked greens I've had, I prefer collards but everyone else in the house likes turnip greens better.

What? No Polk salad?
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Kale is fantastic. I'd have to try to think in order to come up with the recipe I generally use--but it has a mild bacon flavor, while not having any bacon in the recipe. I generally have it in soup, haven't really eaten it raw.

I'm going to grow a crap-ton of greens starting in the spring, I think I'll add collards to the mix, along with turnip.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    What? No Polk salad?
    Not on New Years. Collards and black eyed peas are traditional. My mom loves poke salad, btw.

Kale is fantastic. I'd have to try to think in order to come up with the recipe I generally use--but it has a mild bacon flavor, while not having any bacon in the recipe. I generally have it in soup, haven't really eaten it raw.

I'm going to grow a crap-ton of greens starting in the spring, I think I'll add collards to the mix, along with turnip.
    We cook collards with fatback and about a tablespoon of sugar in a huge pot of greens. We eat 'em with cornbread and hot pepper juice - that's the juice we pour off of jalapenos and green tomatoes we can, good stuff.

I have some black-eyed peas in my 7 bean ham soup that's cooking right now. Made some nice ham stock with a leftover ham bone. Split pea on the menu for tomorrow.

Not on New Years. Collards and black eyed peas are traditional. My mom loves poke salad, btw.
    Is it Polk or Poke? I always thought it was pork salad. LOL!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I have some black-eyed peas in my 7 bean ham soup that's cooking right now. Made some nice ham stock with a leftover ham bone. Split pea on the menu for tomorrow.
    I always had split pea with beef hot dogs.

Poke sallet is what we call polk salad.

My Ex's mother was from Georgia and lived in a mobile home down in Cedar Creek, Texas. One year she and her sister went on a trip and called to asked me to do her a favor. She had left some polk salad in the oven and wanted me to drive down from Dallas and get it and throw it out. Being the yankee that I am, I immediately assumed she said Pork salad and wanted to get down there quick, thinking it would smell up the joint.

When we got there I went right to the oven, opened it, and saw it was green! I freaked out, thinking this went rancid really quick until my ex explained to me what Polk salad was.

I took a poll of myself and 100% of me thinks that the majority of my countrymen can't tell miso from kuso.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I took a poll of myself and 100% of me thinks that the majority of my countrymen can't tell miso from kuso.
    And that's just one way that sushi restaurants rip you off. That and the actual fish.

Nor, for that matter, $#@! from Shinola (and you just oughta see their shoes).

Almost as good as Tar Tar Sauce.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Intrigued, I Google'd and had the misfortune of coming across the Kuso Miso Technique. :-\
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

That is the choice I always give too. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast