Thread: He Pours Liquid Metal Into A Bucket Of Sand And It’s Too Cool

Exclamation He Pours Liquid Metal Into A Bucket Of Sand And It’s Too Cool

My 2015 project.

Just awesome...

I posted a how to make a foundry from another tuber but I liked this guys better. Hopefully his video will be up soon.
    Grant Thompson - "The King of Random"3 days ago

I'm editing the video on how to build this foundry from scratch, right now, so it should be the next project video. It's an original design you can make very easily, for around $20. I spent 5 months experimenting, and made over 10 different prototypes. Thanks for sharing, and please let me know what you think?
    He Pours Liquid Metal Into A Bucket Of Sand And It’s Too Cool

When we first saw this man dump piping hot liquid metal into this bucket of sand, we were beyond confused. When we saw the end result? We were absolutely blown away.

This might be one of the coolest life hacks we have ever seen. Who knew you could do something so amazing with just a few empty soda cans. What a great way to recycle, right?

We know people have been consciously recycling cans like this to better the environment for years now, but how many of these cans do we actually go through?

According to Wikipedia, “Worldwide production for all beverage cans is approximately 475 billion cans per year worldwide, 52 billion per year in Europe.” These numbers were fairly staggering to discover. And, seeing as how these cans have been around since the 1930s, it’s safe to say this problem has only increased with time.

http://new.damn.com/pours-liquid-met...=metalbucketef
    Last edited by Suzanimal; 01-01-2015 at 12:11 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I actually have some experience melting metal.. First, it's actually dangerous! Liquid metal and any moisture in your mould gives explosions of molten metal.

Also, melting cans is just about the most inefficient way to get molten aluminum. You're better off getting some free or cheap aluminum from ladders, car rims etc.

I actually have a burner head laying around which I still have to hook up. This is a unit that works on a compressor and a feed of some kind of oil, in my case, spent cooking oil. It came from the US and I have trouble finding the right pipe couplings since we use BSP here, I think I found a store that sells the right couplings here but it's a lot of fitting of little parts which aren't expensive by themselves but when I buy a whole bunch of the wrong ones... It's mostly that I hate dealing with costumer service to get refunds and send stuff back.

I'll have to get my little foundry up in 2015 as well.. I have a nice scrap bin full of brass and copper..
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 12-31-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    "I am a bird"

That is so freakin' cool, Suz!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I actually have some experience melting metal.. First, it's actually dangerous! Liquid metal and any moisture in your mould gives explosions of molten metal.

Also, melting cans is just about the most inefficient way to get molten aluminum. You're better off getting some free or cheap aluminum from ladders, car rims etc.

I actually have a burner head laying around which I still have to hook up. This is a unit that works on a compressor and a feed of some kind of oil, in my case, spent cooking oil. It came from the US and I have trouble finding the right pipe couplings since we use BSP here, I think I found a store that sells the right couplings here but it's a lot of fitting of little parts which aren't expensive by themselves but when I buy a whole bunch of the wrong ones... It's mostly that I hate dealing with costumer service to get refunds and send stuff back.

I'll have to get my little foundry up in 2015 as well.. I have a nice scrap bin full of brass and copper..

That's good to know! I think I should watch a few more youtube videos before I give this a shot.

Yeah, looks like fun! BTW, aluminum is fairly easy to melt at roughly 1200F melting temperature. In fact, I have melted aluminum easily using a small gasifier stove (the "wood gas camp stove"). Check out small electric kilns also - might interest you.
    Last edited by buenijo; 01-01-2015 at 11:14 AM.
    "There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs." Thomas Sowell

I like the anthill castings myself.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

Quote Originally Posted by evilfunnystuff View Post
    I like the anthill castings myself.

I kinda doubt that the ants are any too thrilled about it.

Could be used to purify junk metal?
    gold?
    silver?
    lead?
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    I kinda doubt that the ants are any too thrilled about it.
    I think even the most libertarian person out there...hell also PETA and hippies can all agree ants can go to hell. Nobody cares about ants opinions.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel999 View Post
    I think even the most libertarian person out there...hell also PETA and hippies can all agree ants can go to hell. Nobody cares about ants opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

Sand casting used to be a fairly common process that employed thousands of people, back when we used to make stuff here.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel999 View Post
    Damn straight! Fire ants are Satan's minions.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Sand casting used to be a fairly common process that employed thousands of people, back when we used to make stuff here.
    So true.

Its really sad that this is "too cool".

I grew up in a multi generation plumbing family; refining waste metals for scrap was something I did with grandpa growing up. Its truly unfortunate more aren't exposed to this an many other manufacturing arts.

All kids must get there common core though...
    Last edited by presence; 03-29-2015 at 09:42 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

the "lost styrofoam method"

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    This is similar to the "lost wax method" of casting, which sculptors use, (except their molds are typically made of plaster.)
    Here, they're just using styrofoam instead of wax. The wax/styrofoam is burnt away, thus it is "lost".

This guy explains how to make "greensand" for casting - by mixing "playsand" with dry, powdered "fireclay".
    This would likely pick up more detail on some fancier object.
    http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/buy_fireclay.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sand_sandclaymix.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	3989 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sand_sandsqueeze.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	3988