Thread: Bill aims to get inspectors out of home kitchens

Bill aims to get inspectors out of home kitchens

BLAND, Va. – Virginians who try to sell homemade food from their kitchens are feeling the heat from state and local inspectors.

"I have to turn down my neighbors when they ask if they can buy pesto I make from my own basil plants," says Bernadette Barber, a farmer in Lancaster, Va.

And this isn't just a rural phenomenon.

In Arlington, government inspectors shut down a home-based soup maker, even though no customer complaints had been registered. Others have encountered similar fates, stripping them of needed income.

Legislation served up for the 2015 General Assembly would turn the tables.

HB 1290, sponsored by Delegate Rob Bell, R-Charlottesville, would end home-kitchen inspections on items produced for direct sale. The goods would bear a label stating that the products are not for resale and were processed without state inspection.

"If someone wants to buy food from someone, what business is that of the state?" asks Matthew French, a farmer in Bland, Va. "The state basically comes at you with a gun, and says you can only buy from state-approved supplier."

The push for fresh, locally made food is gaining ground, French told Watchdog.org in an interview. "Buyers want to know the person who's preparing their food. People want it -- and the state is getting in the way," he said
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...home-kitchens/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good! It's about time!! THIS is the sort of thing a legislature should be doing, rather than passing more onerous and restrictive laws. I've always been appalled that so many people measure a politician by counting how many new laws he has sponsored and passed. My gauge of an effective and worthy politician would be how many laws he has repealed, or how many times he has successfully interceded in getting the state off of someone's back.

I hope Bell's attempt is successful. I would love to see a similar law passed in other states.

Great! I hope this catches on like wild fire around the country. It's only purpose is to fleece people out of more money.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

This will ultimately solve no problems because the problem is not a lack of law. It is a lack of spine on the part of the people thinking they need the permission of anyone to sell their stuff.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    This will ultimately solve no problems because the problem is not a lack of law. It is a lack of spine on the part of the people thinking they need the permission of anyone to sell their stuff.
    Most people don't realize they are required to ask permission. Most of the time, someone will be running an "out of the kitchen" baking business only to have the government swoop in and shut them down because they haven't jumped through all the obligatory hoops of regulations.

If I understand correctly, this bill will prevent the government from being able to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Most people don't realize they are required to ask permission. Most of the time, someone will be running an "out of the kitchen" baking business only to have the government swoop in and shut them down because they haven't jumped through all the obligatory hoops of regulations.

If I understand correctly, this bill will prevent the government from being able to do this.
    That's just it....until people stand up against these thugs and quit seeking permission things will only get worse. If only the founding fathers had grovelled a little harder, maybe they could have gotten their way? No, it wasn't until they stood up like men instead of subjects and put their bullets where their mouth was that anything got done.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

good plan.. but, who pray tell is going to be selling the labels .. and for how much.. geeze, this tin foil hat just won't come off.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    That's just it....until people stand up against these thugs and quit seeking permission things will only get worse. If only the founding fathers had grovelled a little harder, maybe they could have gotten their way? No, it wasn't until they stood up like men instead of subjects and put their bullets where their mouth was that anything got done.
    I'm more of a don't ask permission kind of girl myself but for folks trying to get their product into stores this is a step in the right direction.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How will people know what to eat unless government tells them? We have survived as a species only because government has told us what is safe to put in our mouths. We are like infants. If we don't let government choose our food, we are certain to die. In fact, I am thinking of going our and eating something poisonous right now. If only the government would stop me! Woe is me!
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Prepared food is sales taxable in most states. Each home vendor will need to become an authorized tax collector for the state or face massive tax consequences. As a home vendor you had better file and submit the taxes or one day when you are audited you will be subject to all the taxes and penalties. You had best keep very good records as to what is for personal use and for sale.

How will this affect licensed food vendors that sell in concession trucks or trailers? In most states food sold on those trucks must be prepared in a commercial kitchen and they must meet guidelines and heath code standards. Can they use this new law to prepare all their food at home? I know in CT your concession food cannot be stored with your home food.

There's a lady in Sedona who makes sauerkraut and sells it and the state went after her. So she re-labeled it dog food, but they went after again.

The Flagstaff progs opposed, and their council members voted against, the food freedom resolution that Flag Liberty Alliance put together.

Let a Thousand Home Businesses Bloom
    Time for regulators to take their boot off the neck of microbusiness
    http://fee.org/freeman/detail/let-a-...sinesses-bloom
    Austrian economist Murray Rothbard summed up the purpose of government intervention. “The intervention . . . was designed, not to curb big business monopoly for the sake of the public weal, but to create monopolies that big business . . . had not been able to establish amidst the competitive gales of the free market.”

Regulation of home industry is a source of revenue and social control for government, but it is also a means by which businesses with political clout cripple their competition. There is nothing new under the sun.

Government should remove itself from all business transactions. But it is particularly important to the unemployed and to the poor that government release its choke hold on home industries.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    There's a lady in Sedona who makes sauerkraut and sells it and the state went after her. So she re-labeled it dog food, but they went after again.

The Flagstaff progs opposed, and their council members voted against, the food freedom resolution that Flag Liberty Alliance put together.

Let a Thousand Home Businesses Bloom
    Time for regulators to take their boot off the neck of microbusiness
    http://fee.org/freeman/detail/let-a-...sinesses-bloom
    I thought that link looked familar. You and I both posted it back in April - great minds think alike.