Thread: Feds aim to redistribute quality teachers

Feds aim to redistribute quality teachers

More than a decade ago, Congress ordered states to figure out a way to distribute qualified teachers fairly, so low-income and minority children weren’t so often stuck with inexperienced and unlicensed educators.

As it turns out, they’ve done a lousy job.

New data out from the Education Department find sizable — and in some states, huge — disparities in children’s access to fully qualified and experienced teachers.

In Pennsylvania, for instance, more than 20 percent of teachers are unlicensed in the schools with the largest concentration of minority students. In largely white schools, just 0.2 percent of teachers lack a license, the data show.

Or consider Louisiana: Nearly 20 percent of classes in the most impoverished schools are taught by teachers who don’t meet the federal definition of “highly qualified” — which generally means they lack a bachelor’s degree, are unlicensed or don’t have a strong academic background in the subject they’re teaching. In the wealthier schools, fewer than 8 percent of classes are led by a teacher who’s not highly qualified.

In New York, students in high-poverty schools are nearly three times more likely to have a rookie teacher and 22 times more likely to have an unlicensed teacher than their peers in more affluent schools.

“The inequitable distribution of teachers teaching low-income students is staggering, sobering and getting worse,” said Arnold Fege, president of Public Advocacy for Kids, an education policy group.

President Barack Obama has sought to push the issue; earlier this year, he proposed $300 million in competitive grants to spur states to develop new strategies for getting high-quality teachers in front of needy kids.

But Congress scrapped the program in the recent budget agreement. And Republicans have warned that they’ll fight any “heavy-handed approach to federal enforcement” that subverts local autonomy.

The issue is sure to spark debate when Congress takes up reauthorization of No Child Left Behind. That law, which passed with overwhelming bipartisan support in 2001, set out the first requirements for equitable distribution of teachers.

The inequities laid bare in the state profiles could also fuel more lawsuits akin to the landmark Vergara case in California, which overturned the state’s teacher tenure law.

In that case, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Rolf Treu ruled that tenure and related job protections shielded grossly incompetent educators — who too often ended up assigned to teach the neediest students in the most impoverished schools.

Being continually saddled with weak teachers deprived students from low-income families of their constitutional right to an equal education, the judge ruled. “Indeed, it shocks the conscience,” Treu wrote.

Several families have filed a lawsuit making similar claims in New York, and others may well follow, especially in states where the federal data show stark inequities, analysts said.

“Post-Vergara, states ought to be more aware that they can be challenged in court using some of these fact patterns,” said Tim Daly, president of TNTP (formerly The New Teacher Project), a nonprofit focused on ensuring an equitable distribution of teachers.
    But Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers, said she hoped states and the federal government would use the data “as a tool to inform and build, not as a hammer to sanction.” In addition to focusing on teacher qualifications, she said, policymakers must ensure that minority students and students from low-income families have access to other vital resources, including a rich curriculum, small class sizes and up-to-date technology.

Other analysts noted that the statistics about teacher experience and certification say nothing about effectiveness, so it’s hard to draw conclusions about whether poor and minority kids are truly receiving an inferior classroom experience.
    “These profiles are a conversation starter, at best,” said Anne Hyslop, a senior policy analyst with Bellwether Education Partners.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/1...#ixzz3Mj2KFYEK

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What, BOTH of them?

The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America
    http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com.../DDDoA.sml.pdf
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 12-23-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Government's solution for pushing a square peg into a round hole is always to push harder and spend more money. More force; more dollars. Name your problem... The State's answer will always be the same: More force; more dollars.

The real answer is simple really... If you want the most benefit for the most people, you have to rely on the free market. Get government completely out of education. Completely.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Yuh get what yuh pay for........amerika. keep paying taxes. government control of education -___-

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 09:02 AM.

I dispute the idea that we should make government education better. In fact, the only saving grace of being educated by the State is the fact that they're not very good at it.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

No one wants to willingly live in areas of high poverty. Of course there will be a lack of qualified teachers in those areas. I don't really know a solution to the problem other than people should stop herding together in one area. Of course that will result in massive high poverty areas. After having taught a little bit abroad now, I am considering going back to get qualified to teach in the US. I wouldn't mind teaching in a poor school in a rural area but there is no way I would want to go into a high poverty area in a city. That is just begging to suffer some kind of crime. Then on top of that teaching in poorer schools generally means less parent involvement and kids with much less desire to learn. It makes for a very stressful job. I don't envy any teacher who does work in such an area.

That all said this kind of federal involvement solves nothing. It just makes things worse by creating more red tape and throws away money. Only locally can these things be positively changed. It would take community involvement to get things done.

I think there is a growing movement by charter schools to locate themselves in poor communities so they can reach poor, underserved areas. I am not an employee of Success Academies, or a friend of founder Eva Moscowitz. She and I have never met, and we could not be more divergent on politics, but I know her teaching model works. I have seen it in action, and her schools are producing results. They are setting new benchmarks for poor and minority students. Scholars, they are called, and their academics and arts teams and groups are wiping out the competiton. They are more than holding their own against students from the most affluent areas of New York.

I have never been a fan of government schools, but I made it much business to explore this model. I am no end of impressed. Their kids are happy and invested in their education. They introduce very difficult concepts to their classes. Teachers have high expectations of their kids, and they engage them on a very deep level. They use technology to keep in constant contact with families, and they insist that families engage. I watched parents as they waited for their kids to be dismissed. When the classes began to file out, the joking stopped, and parents stood a little straighter. I looked intently at their faces. They see hope for their kids.

I hope this trend continues. If it does, we might see the dependence on government education come to an end because we will have a generation of kids who are educated in fundamentals and who think deeply about life and relationships.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.