Thread: We’ve Known for 1,700 Years that Torture Produces False Confessions

We’ve Known for 1,700 Years that Torture Produces False Confessions

We’ve Known for 1,700 Years that Torture Produces False Confessions

Mark Costanzo (Claremont McKenna professor of psychology) and Ellen Gerrity (Duke University professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences) note in a study published in the journal Social Issues and Policy Review:

''As early as the third century A.D., the great Roman Jurist Ulpian noted that
    information obtained through torture was not to be trusted because some people are “so susceptible to pain that they will tell any lie rather than suffer it” (Peters, 1996). This warning about the unreliability of information extracted through the use of torture has echoed across the centuries.''

Lawrence Davidson – history professor at West Chester University in Pennsylvania – points out today:

''In 1764 Cesare Beccaria [an Italian criminologist, jurist, philosopher, and politician who had a profound effect on America’s Founding Fathers] published his groundbreaking work, On Crimes and Punishments. Beccaria had examined all the evidence available at that time and concluded that individuals under torture will tell their interrogators anything they want to hear, true or not, just to get the pain to stop.''

The successful and ruthless general Napolean Bonaparte wrote in 1798:

''The barbarous custom of having men beaten who are suspected of having important secrets to reveal must be abolished. It has always been recognized that this way of interrogating men, by putting them to torture, produces nothing worthwhile. The poor wretches say anything that comes into their mind and what they think the interrogator wishes to know.''

This ancient wisdom has been verified by the top American interrogation experts over the last 100 years.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/...nfessions.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well I have known since I was about 5 yrs old .

And bringing this to modern times:

Why Khalid Sheik Mohammed's testimony rings false - Time op-ed by former CIA field officer Robert Baer
    http://content.time.com/time/printou...599861,00.html

Khalid Sheik Mohammed "confessed" to planning an attack on a building that wasn't even in the design stage until after his arrest.
    http://prisonplanet.com/articles/mar...fterarrest.htm

So the reason we need torture to stop terror is......?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

When my daughter was in 4th grade, she was made to stand in a corner (no sitting allowed) until she confessed to her "crime". I believed her when she told me she was innocent, but the school principle proudly proclaimed she had a "confession".

Daughter only agreed to confession to get out of the "torture".

What our gov doing is no different.

Torture is BS and I'm ashamed of my country for resulting to a totalitarian trick and then justifying it.

It works fine for Jack Bauer, most of the time.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

1. who is "we"
    2. torturers don't care about truth, they care about confession/conviction
    pcosmar's lie : There are more votes than registered Voters..

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    1. who is "we"
    2. torturers don't care about truth, they care about confession/conviction
    Not much difference between a Lawyer and a Torturer...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Dang. Lookit what I found. Sheesh...

During the Middle Ages, torture was a very common way to punish offenders. Following are the most common torture devices used during the Middle Ages. Viewer discretion is advised.

Medieval Torture

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Dang. Lookit what I found. Sheesh...

Medieval Torture
    medieval demonization is propaganda made up by renaissance apologists to glorify science and spit on religion.

See PIG on western civilization
    http://www.amazon.com/Politically-In.../dp/1596980591
    pcosmar's lie : There are more votes than registered Voters..

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    medieval demonization is propaganda made up by renaissance apologists to glorify science and spit on religion.

See PIG on western civilization
    http://www.amazon.com/Politically-In.../dp/1596980591
    Are you saying that torture did not exist in Europe during that time period?

For $#@!s sake, every Parent knows that children will do the exact same thing. Admit to something they did not do just to make the spanking stop.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.