Thread: 4 Common Myths About Catching Cold In Cold Weather

4 Common Myths About Catching Cold In Cold Weather

Does exposure to cold weather really make you more likely to catch a cold?

No, it doesn't. In fact, as a new YouTube video entitled Cold Weather Myths explains, research suggests just the opposite: frigid temps lower the risk of catching cold by stimulating the body's production of infection-fighting immune cells known as granulocytes.

And you know how they say being wet in the cold, or failing to bundle up, can make you sick? According to the video, part of the "Healthcare Triage" series, those too are just myths.

The persistence of folk wisdom linking the common cold virus and winter is nothing to sneeze at. According to one survey cited in the 2012 book "Because I Said So!," 38 percent of Americans believe being out in cold weather can make you sick.

Needless to say, the debate over how we catch colds probably isn't going to end soon. But whether or not you put on your overcoat, one of the few indisputable facts about the common cold is that many of us will catch one. According to Harvard Medical School, Americans endure a billion colds annually.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...usaolp00000592

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    From a recent study that says differently:

"Cold viruses thrive in frosty conditions

Icy temperatures chill the immune response that thwarts the common cold.
    "

Foxman and her colleagues at Yale studied mice susceptible to a mouse-specific rhinovirus. They discovered that at warmer temperatures, animals infected with the rhinovirus produced a burst of antiviral immune signals, which activated natural defenses that fought off the virus. But at cooler temperatures, the mice produced fewer antiviral signals and the infection could persist.

The researchers then grew human airway cells in the lab under both cold and warm conditions and infected them with a different rhinovirus that thrives in people. They found that warm infected cells were more likely than cold ones to undergo programmed cell death — cell suicide brought on by immune responses aimed at limiting the spread of infections.

Foxman says that the data suggest that these temperature-dependent immune reactions help to explain rhinoviruses' success at lower temperatures, and explain why winter is the season for colds. As temperatures drop outside, humans breathe in colder air that chills their upper airways just enough to allow rhinoviruses to flourish, she says.

I have read a few studies that say the flu and cold viruses love dry cold air. One of the main reason I keep a cold mist humidifier in my home going during the winter.

References:
    http://www.plospathogens.org/article...l.ppat.0030151
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12357708
    http://www.nature.com/news/cold-viru...itions-1.13025
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I learned the same thing as the OP says in my high school biology class. Yet, we do get sick more in winter. The reason is because we spend much more time INSIDE during the cold months, with constantly recirculated air and in closer quarters with each other.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

We also have a Honeywell Cool Mist Humidifer, and we rarely get colds. Just sayin....

This is the one we have:

(edited because that picture was HUGE)....resizing and will reinsert in a second)

Edited again, because I can't get the picture to show up on a reasonable size. If anybody cares enough, you can click the link above, or click this link ...
    Last edited by angelatc; 12-21-2014 at 01:30 PM.

I was taught it's temperature swings that leave you more vulnerable to colds.

If you go out in the cold, stay there until you're through. Don't run in and out all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I'm blaming the snow.

It seems like when I get a bad cold it's right after the first heavy snowfall of winter.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I was taught it's temperature swings that leave you more vulnerable to colds.

If you go out in the cold, stay there until you're through. Don't run in and out all day.

It stresses the body more- weakening your immune system.

Viruses like to grow in your sinus cavity. If your nose is dripping from the cold, it can help flush them out and offer you protection. If they get dry, it is easier for them to grow and enter your body.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Let the record show that this is the first, and likely only, time I agreed with donnay on anything.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

You know what makes you catch colds? Having children; little disgusting virus magnets they are.

1. immune systems are impaired during winter due to lack of vitamin d as a result of less sun exposure. Take d3.
    2. The cold is an inflammatory disease. If you suffer from frequent or severe colds, that is an indication that your body is chronically inflamed. And if you suffer from chronic inflammation, colds are the least of your worries.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    You know what makes you catch colds? Having children; little disgusting virus magnets they are.
    What about the petri dish of publix-skools?

Yep, and the little jerks don't make you honey-lemon tea, let you nap or make you chicken soup.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    What about the petri dish of publix-skools?
    <sarcasm on> Geeze dude it's for the children. <sarcasm off>
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    1. immune systems are impaired during winter due to lack of vitamin d as a result of less sun exposure. Take d3.
    2. The cold is an inflammatory disease. If you suffer from frequent or severe colds, that is an indication that your body is chronically inflamed. And if you suffer from chronic inflammation, colds are the least of your worries.
    Milk has vitamin D added and milk drinkers get colds too.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by robert68 View Post
    Milk has vitamin D added and milk drinkers get colds too.
    I don't advocate drinking milk for several reasons. But the relationship between vitamin d and immune function is solid science. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3166406/

It is also clear that vitamin d deficiency is common in temperate zones, especially in winter when sun exposure declines. This is likely the reason that cold and flu has a "season" and also likely the reason that flu pandemics have usually been more serious in temperate zones.

I find the scientific basis for vitamin d3 supplementation to be compelling. Of course having strong immune function does not mean you will never suffer infection. But it helps.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Sweater Weather: Why the Cold Spreads Colds

Listen to your mother and wear that sweater – or better yet, a scarf.

A new study from the Yale School of Medicine finds that the rhinovirus – the most frequent cause of the common cold – reproduces more efficiently in colder weather, and that the reason may be that our bodies become less adept at stopping the virus when it's cold out.

Cold weather, in other words, might actually lead to more colds.

“The lower the temperature, the innate immune response is reduced,” says senior author Akiko Iwasaki, a professor of immunobiology at Yale.

For roughly 50 years, scientists have known that the rhinovirus replicates most efficiently in our noses, where temperatures can be 8 to 9 degrees cooler than the rest of our bodies, especially as we inhale frigid winter air. The question, however, was why.

“Many people had focused on the intrinsic nature of the virus and not found anything concrete, so our study focused on the immune response of the body,” Iwasaki says. “It’s one of the first of its kind to even look at this question.”

Iwasaki and her team, led by postdoctoral fellow Ellen Foxman, examined airway cells taken from mice. Some of the cells were kept at 98.6 degrees, others at 91.4 degrees – the average temperature in our nostrils.

Like a radar-jamming fighter jet, the cooler temperature apparently undercut the cells’ defenses: Both the enzymes that detect viruses, and the signals that connect those sensors to the immune system, seemed to perform far more effectively at 98.6 degrees than at the colder temperature.

It’s a finding that may have implications for studying and combating a wide range of seasonal illnesses, not just the common cold.

“Other viruses tend to happen during the cold winter months, like the influenza virus,” Iwasaki says. “It’s a general suppression of the immune response in the nasal cavity temperature, so we expect that other viruses may also take advantage of this suppressed immune response.”

The most potent viruses are still those able to replicate at our higher core body temperature of 98.6 degrees, when our immune systems are most efficient. And as Iwasaki points out, exposure is just as important a factor, too: Not contracting rhinovirus in the first place will help keep the cold at bay. But, she adds, as many as 20 percent of people have the rhinovirus at any one time – and most are asymptomatic, meaning they have not come down with a cold and don't even know they have the virus.

"If you happen to be one of the 20 percent of people, maybe just going out in the cold air alone is enough to promote the replication," Iwasaki says – precisely the reason, she adds, she'll start thinking more about bundling up this winter.

“Especially,” she says, “around the nose.”

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...old?src=usn_fb

I'm sick as hell right now. I think I caught something in the grocery store the other day. Head is pounding, throat sore, eyes hurt, fever, coughing, ears hurt. I feel weak. I knew that I should of avoided them. I don't ever get sick. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I'm sick as hell right now. I think I caught something in the grocery store the other day. Head is pounding, throat sore, eyes hurt, fever, coughing, ears hurt. I knew that I should of avoided them. I don't ever get sick. Never.
    Oh no! Feel better soon. My son had strep throat last week and a lot of people around here have had the flu.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Oh no! Feel better soon. My son had strep throat last week and a lot of people around here have had the flu.
    It sucks whatever it is. Thanks.

The cold virus transmits best in dry air.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

This is correct .

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I have read a few studies that say the flu and cold viruses love dry cold air. One of the main reason I keep a cold mist humidifier in my home going during the winter.

References:
    http://www.plospathogens.org/article...l.ppat.0030151
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12357708
    http://www.nature.com/news/cold-viru...itions-1.13025
    Thieves is a blend of clove (syzygium aromaticum), lemon, cinnamon bark (cinnamomum), eucalyptus and rosemary that was created by 15th century thieves during the plague. The oil blend is antiviral, antiseptic and antibacterial. It works well in a diffuser to help purify the air in your home or as a throat spray to soothe a sore throat.

A great way to get the benefits of essential oils is by breathing them so that they enter your body through the nose and lungs. You can use them in a diffuser or you can simply add four or five drops of the oil to a pot of boiled water. Cover your head with a towel while carefully leaning over the liquid and breathing in the steam.

Another option is to place a drop or two of the oils on a warm damp washcloth and then place the washcloth on your chest or your forehead to help relieve pain and congestion. Or add five to eight drops of oil to the water as you run your bath for a soothing, relaxing effect.

Essential oils are not a substitute for other proven methods for fighting colds such as getting enough fluids, getting enough rest or seeing your doctor if your symptoms worsen. However, if you are looking for natural ways to boost your body’s defenses during cold and flu season, it is well worth your time to investigate the impact essential oils can have on your health.
    http://www.offthegridnews.com/altern...colds-and-flu/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.