Thread: Inside the push to draft Ben Carson for president

Inside the push to draft Ben Carson for president

Inside the push to draft Ben Carson for president

Washington (CNN) -- John Philip Sousa IV has a mission: Convince a retired neurosurgeon with no political experience to run for President -- and then help him win.

Sousa, 67, launched a super PAC last year that has raised millions in an effort to urge Dr. Ben Carson to explore a White House bid. Since the launch, Sousa and his team have proven to be a fundraising powerhouse, raising a whopping $12.2 million from more than 100,000 donors. That even edged out the effort by Hillary Clinton's supporters, who have raised $12.1 million for the "Ready for Hillary" super PAC.
    Sousa's group, dubbed the "National Draft Ben Carson for President Campaign Committee," is laying the groundwork for a presidential campaign in early voting states with plans to open a second office in Iowa later this month.

If Sousa's last name sounds familiar, that's because it should. He's the great grandson of John Philip Sousa, the composer known for his patriotic music.
    John Philip Sousa IVJohn Philip Sousa IV

Sousa's effort is adding to the buzz surrounding Carson, who catapulted onto the national political scene at last year's National Prayer Breakfast by delivering a stinging rebuke to Obamacare -- with President Barack Obama sitting just a few feet away. He has captivated some Republicans with stories of his difficult childhood and placed second behind Mitt Romney in a CNN/ORC poll last month that asked the GOP about their preferred presidential nominee.

Carson himself has said he has been considering a run after seeing the outpouring of support.
    "It definitely seems to be having an impression," said Adam Waldeck, a spokesman for the American Legacy PAC, which Carson chairs.
    Federal election rules bar Sousa from coordinating with Carson, who hasn't yet said whether he'll run in 2016. But Sousa talks about a potential run in the same unvarnished style that Carson embraces.

Sousa recently visited CNN's Washington bureau. Read the interview below, which has been edited and condensed

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/20/politi...html?hpt=po_c2

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Ben has "no political experience", my wouldn't that be a refreshing change?

I'm still thinking Ben as a possible VPOTUS, for RAND.

The doctor is in.

Yay! Just what we need! Someone without a voting record so we can get another Obama. Can't wait!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    Yay! Just what we need! Someone without a voting record so we can get another Obama. Can't wait!
    Is that a foregone conclusion? Obama had more of a voting record than Rand does.

I'm just saying... Carson is nothing like Obama. He is neither an enemy or a threat to win the GOP nomination. He is an ally. Like all allies, he has flaws, but he is one of the good guys.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Is that a foregone conclusion? Obama had more of a voting record than Rand does.
    that's not true.
    Obama was in office as a senator for votes
    From Jan 2005 to Oct 2008
    Obama missed 314 of 1,300 roll call votes, which is 24.2%. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 2008
    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/mem...k_obama/400629

Randal so far:
    From Jan 2011 to Dec 2014
    Paul missed 39 of 1,143 roll call votes, which is 3.4%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving.
    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/mem...nd_paul/412492

edit: unless you mean in the IL statehouse. I don't think that applies but fair enough if that is what you meant.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 12-22-2014 at 12:30 PM.

If excellence in politics depends on the number of votes you have, then doesn't that make John McCain and Lindsey Graham better? I was against Obama for what he said he stood for. (More war. More taxes. etc.) I remember when John Kerry ran. I voted for him, even though I knew I shouldn't. He had a long "distinguished" political career. It's what he said at the DNC that gave me concern. (He wanted to implement more of the Patriot Act.) There's some things I like about Ben Carson. There's some things I don't. He doesn't stand a prayer of winning. But he's not an Obama.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    edit: unless you mean in the IL statehouse. I don't think that applies but fair enough if that is what you meant.
    Exactly what I meant. It was a record. One that Rand does not have.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Carson isn't terrible based upon the things he has said so far. It would be nice if he had been elected to Congress or maybe a governor first and had a record.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

possible VP, it would be cool to have a double M.D. ticket

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

I'm just saying... Carson is nothing like Obama. He is neither an enemy or a threat to win the GOP nomination. He is an ally. Like all allies, he has flaws, but he is one of the good guys.
    I would have agreed with this statement a week ago. But nobody who supports the government secretly torturing people can be my ally. Even if he was a perfect minarchist on every other issue (I say "minarchist" since of course an ancap won't support government torturing people) I would not support him. Ben Carson is my enemy, and I do not respect him at all.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

I don't really care who Rand's VP is since I don't expect much, though Rand should be aware that picking ANY establishment VP will seriously put his life at risk. Nobody would dare kill Rand if he had, say, Judge Napolitano behind him.

But, I don't see Carson as better than anyone else anymore. I did before. I gave him a pass on some things I didn't care for, like his seeming to support gun control and his less than enthusiastic stance toward legalizing marijuana. But, I cannot abide support for torture.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Sony leaked another story bout dis

Ben Carson's CPAC 2014 Speech >>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash (R) MI-3rd
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

THE FUTURE OF THE GOP = R[∃vo˩]ution 2.0: Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NOVALibertarian View Post
    First they ignore you= Ron Paul, 2007-2008
    Then they laugh at you= Ron Paul, 2012
    Then they fight you= Rand Paul, 2014-2015
    And then you win= Rand Paul, November 8th, 2016