Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What the hell is this flap over the movie "The Interview"?

Exclamation What the hell is this flap over the movie "The Interview"?

Shows you how out of touch I am...

But am I understanding this right?

The film is pulled and cannot be seen because of threats from North Korea?

Because of "safety"?

On December 17, 2014, after a number of major North American cinema chains pulled the film in the interests of safety, Sony cancelled the theatrical release of The Interview and stated that it had no plans to release the film by any other means.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Int...282014_film%29

Really?

I mean...really?

Safety?
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yep. I'm just getting word of it too. Supposedly some hackers in North Korea where the internet runs on 28K modems and DOS threatened to start a cyber war with Sony and any theatres that showed the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

yeah and according to our FBI they hacked sony. you know what it all reminds me of? that fake story after the Libya attack about it being because of a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Shows you how out of touch I am...

But am I understanding this right?

The film is pulled and cannot be seen because of threats from North Korea?

Because of "safety"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Int...282014_film%29

Really?

I mean...really?

Safety?
    It was Sony's decision. The ones who claim to have hacked them threatened to target movie theaters where the film was being shown.

Yep, the movie is a slapstick comedy about the cia convincing some tv personality (the interviewer) to kill the leader of north korea. Sony is the producer of the movie and they got cyber attached. So now the movie is pulled.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Takes pressure off police militarization, and puts it on another unrelated topic. More than that I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Yep. I'm just getting word of it too. Supposedly some hackers in North Korea where the internet runs on 28K modems and DOS threatened to start a cyber war with Sony and any theatres that showed the movie.
    I read a long time ago North Korea's internet infrastructure is so bad that their website is hosted in China
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    It was Sony's decision. The ones who claim to have hacked them threatened to target movie theaters where the film was being shown.
    So it was not safety but corporate cowardliness.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

The cowardice runs even deeper. The *excuse* Sony used to pull the movie was concern over the safety of patrons at the theaters. The conventional wisdom on this was that the corporate bigwigs were worried that the worst and most incriminating emails from the cyber-hack had not been made public.... yet.

Yeah, haven't been paying much attention either...

It seems like someone decided the US Government needed more public support to take over the internet. You know... for "safety".
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

A CIA/NSA

PRODUCTION
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

A Flap over a low budget trash film is getting ridicules.

Doesn't the idiotic westren news media have anything else better to report?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    A Flap over a low budget trash film is getting ridicules.

Doesn't the idiotic westren news media have anything else better to report
    ?
    No. 24/7 "news" cycles means they have to make up trash to fill air time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Two cents.

'Guardians of Peace' hacks Hollywood movies

Nearly 200 Hollywood Actors and Execs Sign Pro-Israel, Anti-Hamas Statement

August 23, 2014

Amy Pascal, Ivan Reitman, Seth Rogen, Phil Rosenthal, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Marty Singer, Aaron Sorkin, Sylvester Stallone, Nina Tassler, Jerry Weintraub and plenty others lend their names in support

Gaza Anonymous Hacking Attack Shuts Down 'Hundreds' Of Israeli Government Websites

Huffington Post UK | By Louise Ridley
    05/08/2014 18:05 BST Updated: 06/08/2014 09:59 BST

The hacking collective Anonymous has warned it will launch more attacks on Israeli government websites after apparently disabling more than 500, in a wave of cyber offensives which it says are in retaliation for Israel’s bombardment of Gaza.
    It also claims to have leaked personal details of 70,000 users of the Israeli government jobseeker website zerem.co.il.

Pro-Palestinian protesters in France wearing the iconic Guy Fawkes mask, which has become symbolic of Anonymous

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_5650652.html

Is "blame the movie for Sony hack" another "blame the video for Benghazi" moment for Obama?

Stasi: No way North Korea could hack Sony

If you think North Korea pulled off that massive cyber attack against Sony alone, raise your hand. If you swear they had nothing to do with it, raise your hand.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Sunday, December 21, 2014, 12:59 AM

New York Daily News photo illustration Kim Jong Un has as much chance of launching this cyberhack as Kim Kardashian has of fitting into a coach airline seat.

The movie’s un-release is such a big deal that on Friday even President Obama condemned Sony for bagging the movie, and suggested that Sony should have spoken to him first.

And who exactly at Sony would have made that call — Amy Pascal?

“Hi, President Django? Amy Pascal here.”
    “Who?”
    “‘12 Years a Slave,’Amy?”
    “Oh you. No! I won’t park your car.”
    “Legitimate mistake. Black guy. Parking lot. Bow tie?”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2052367

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i guess we better send in clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Sony says it was the movie theater chains which are refusing to show the film. They are concerned about potential liability should they actually show it and have a real attack for running it. Without all the fuss about it, it likely would have been a not terribly successful movie (in terms of revenues)- word is that it basically sucks. Now if it shows people will go to see what the ado really is.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-20-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Phew.... Good thing they stopped that. Now we need the government to protect the internet from those evil North Korean hackers. Please please please, take our rights, make us safe.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

This is just rich. Hollywood has no courage at all. They take pot shots at anyone they want. They mock Christians and conservatives, and will do just about anything for a dollar. Now they put out something that offends the last nation on earth whose opinion should matter, and Hollywood just scurries back in its hole.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

All of the above. Sony only decided to pull the movie after the largest theater chains in the nation said they would not show it.

And, given the culture we live in, who could blame these corporations for acting in such a manner? If ANYONE was hurt for ANY reason at ANY theater, you know that law suits would be flying and that companies would be on the hook in civil court. It would have been a mess. I'm not saying I agree that our never ending desire to litigate is a good thing, I'm just saying that it exists and probably motivated the theater chains and therefore Sony to pull the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Without all the fuss about it, it likely would have been a not terribly successful movie (in terms of revenues)- word is that it basically sucks. Now if it shows people will go to see what the ado really is.
    If we ever see it on Netflix, this. It's a dog, not worth the premiere costs, and this is the only way to get anyone interested.

If we don't, then we know Hollywood dreamed up something stupid and utterly ridiculous and depicted the CIA as doing it, and the CIA really is doing it.

And if you flip a quarter and it lands on the table balanced on its edge... Well, there's a greater chance of that than of North Korea hacking Sony.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Sony says it was the movie theater chains which are refusing to show the film. They are concerned about potential liability should they actually show it and have a real attack for running it. Without all the fuss about it, it likely would have been a not terribly successful movie (in terms of revenues)- word is that it basically sucks. Now if it shows people will go to see what the ado really is.
    There's no way the movie sucks, or that it would have been a box office failure. Rogen and Franco films rake in cash, and they do it on a relatively small budget -- this opus only cost $40M. Given all the hype, I'm sure the movie would have tripled that, at least, with no problem.

As an aside, the brilliance that was This Is the End will forever justify any movie those two guys wish to make in the future.

Someone got cranky when the Red Dawn remake changed the antagonist from China to North Korea...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    If we ever see it on Netflix, this. It's a dog, not worth the premiere costs, and this is the only way to get anyone interested.
    So Hollywood runs our country and its foreign policy?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Satanic Verses 2.0 (ironically, a h/t to Maddow for the comparison)

Mostly manufactured hype for a movie that otherwise wouldn't do very well. Now, the 'controversy' will make the sheeple want to go see it when it does get released.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    So Hollywood runs our country and its foreign policy?
    I don't know what makes you think what you quoted has anything to do with this, because it doesn't. Sony could have pretended to hack itself, for its own reasons.

That said, G.E. owns or owned NBC, Westinghouse owns or owned CBS, and you just generally couldn't separate the mass entertainment complex from the military industrial complex if I gave you a crowbar.

Why, who did you think runs our foreign policy?
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

This is just too damn silly.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I don't know what makes you think what you quoted has anything to do with this, because it doesn't. Sony could have pretended to hack itself, for its own reasons.

That said, G.E. owns or owned NBC, Westinghouse owns or owned CBS, and you just generally couldn't separate the mass entertainment complex from the military industrial complex if I gave you a crowbar.

Why, who did you think runs our foreign policy?
    If I may butt in-the bankers. Hollywood and corporate media have just about always been propaganda organs for the banksters, thte MIC, and the other nogoodniki.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Last edited by anaconda; 12-20-2014 at 08:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast