Thread: Obesity, a disability?

Obesity, a disability?

What to Know About the European Union's Obesity Ruling

Europe's highest court ruled today that obesity can, under certain circumstances, be considered a disability, taking a step forward against obesity discrimination, experts say.

The European Court of Justice heard the case of a child-care worker identified in the ruling as "Mr. Kaltoft," who claimed he had been fired from his job because of his weight. The court ruled that although obesity was itself not a disability, it can cause certain hindrances that can be considered a disability.

"In the past, employers have said with respect to obesity, 'Well, this is their fault,'" said Ted Kyle, chairman of the nonprofit Obesity Action Coalition, which is headquartered in Florida. Until now, employers did not feel obligated to accommodate obese employees in the workplace because they deemed that being obese was a personal choice, Kyle noted.

He said various genetic and environmental factors are at play when it comes to obesity, and that employers are realizing they can't discriminate people based on weight.

The European Court of Justice ruled that it was for the national court to determine whether Kaltoft's obesity qualifies as a disability -- analogous to the U.S. Supreme Court tossing a case back to the a lower state court to hash out the details.

Though we have the Americans with Disabilities Act in the United States, Rebecca Puhl, deputy director at the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at Yale University, said obesity only meets the definition of disability in some cases. In most cases, it does not meet the definition and the legal cases that hinge of obesity as a disability are generally not successful.

"The plaintiff must prove that his or her obesity is disabling or perceived to be disabling by others," Puhl said.

Kelly Brownell, a professor at Duke University's Stanford School of Public Policy, said although some people may not want to be labeled as having a disability, he thinks the move is positive and puts Europe ahead of the United States.

"My perspective on this is that it's a good idea because there's very clear research showing that overweight people are discriminated against in most settings where there have been studies," Brownell said, pointing toward studies in education, health care and employment.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/europea...ry?id=27692351

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The only thing that shocks me more than the alarming rate at which US civilization is committing mass suicide-by-policy is the rate at which European civilization is committing mass suicide-by-policy.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

I sometimes think the main problem the modern foods or even the recommended diet are overloaded with Carbs and Sugar all in the name of avoiding the supposedly evil Saturated Fat.

Of course it's a disability. Have you ever seen a obese person run? Or ride a bike? Or try to ski?

I don't mean to come off as insensitive, but sometimes it's just comical to watch 'em fail

Take away the free $#@! and POOF the obesity problem is 95% eliminated.......

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Take away the free $#@! and POOF the obesity problem is 95% eliminated.......
    Doubt it. They'll still go for cheap, fattening foods/drinks. Eating healthy tends to be more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

But the OP is not talking about people who have poor diet and exercise habits. Massive weight gain can be a symptom of something else, or a side effect of certain treatments. The OP mentions specifically that people must be qualified on a case-by-case basis, and is difficult to prove.