Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iraq war: Military surgeon says he amputated genitals of one or two wounded soldiers daily

Iraq war: Military surgeon says he amputated genitals of one or two wounded soldiers daily

Stumbled on these shocking stats about Iraq war while reading old news about Denzel Washignton and Iraq war/sony pictures. Besides the financial costs, human costs of Iraq war remain very high.

HEALTH-US: Iraq Vets Left in Physical and Mental Agony

But the number of injured has far outstripped the dead, with the Veterans Administration reporting that more than 150,000 veterans of the Iraq war are receiving disability benefits.
    Advances in military technology are keeping the death rate much lower than during the Vietnam War and World War Two, Dr. Col. Vito Imbascini, an urologist and state surgeon with the California Army National Guard, told IPS, but soldiers who survive attacks are often severely disabled for life.
    “If you lost an arm or a leg in Vietnam, you were also tremendously injured in your chest and abdomen, which were not protected by the armour plates back then,” he said. “Now, your heart and chest and lungs and heart are protected by armour, leaving only your extremities exposed.”

Dr. Imbascini just returned from a four-month deployment to Germany, where he treated the worst of the U.S. war wounded. He said that an extremely high number of wounded soldiers are coming home with their arms or legs amputated. Imbascini said he amputated the genitals of one or two men every day.

“I walk into the operating room and the general surgeons are doing their work and there is the body of this Navy SEAL, which is a physical specimen to behold,” he told IPS. “And his abdomen is open, they’re exploring both intestines. He’s missing both legs below the knee, one arm is blown off, he’s got incisions on his thighs to relieve the pressure on the parts of the legs that are hopefully gonna survive and there’s genital injuries, and you just want to cry.”

According to documents obtained by the National Security Archive at George Washington University, 25 percent of veterans of the “global war on terror” have filed disability compensation and pension benefit claims with the Veterans Benefits Administration.One is a Jul. 20, 2006, document titled “Compensation and Pension Benefit Activity Among Veterans of the Global War on Terrorism,” which shows that 152,669 veterans filed disability claims after fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan. Of the more than 100,000 claims granted, Veterans Administration records show at least 1,502 veterans have been compensated as 100 percent disabled.

Pentagon studies show that 12 percent of soldiers who have served in Iraq suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder. The group Veterans for America, formerly the Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation, estimates 70,000 Iraq war veterans have gone to the VA for mental health care.
    New guidelines released by the Pentagon released last month allow commanders to redeploy soldiers suffering from traumatic stress disorders.
    According to the military newspaper Stars and Stripes, servicemembers with “a psychiatric disorder in remission, or whose residual symptoms do not impair duty performance” may be considered for duty downrange. It lists post-traumatic stress disorder as a “treatable” problem.
    “As a layman and a former soldier I think that’s ridiculous,” Steve Robinson, the director of Veterans Affairs for Veterans for America, told IPS.
    “If I’ve got a soldier who’s on Ambien to go to sleep and Seroquel and Qanapin and all kinds of other psychotropic meds, I don’t want them to have a weapon in their hand and to be part of my team because they’re a risk to themselves and to others,” he said. “But apparently, the military has its own view of how well a soldier can function under those conditions and is gambling that they can be successful.”
    Robinson said problems with the policy are already starting to arise.

On Christmas, for example, Army Reservist James Dean barricaded himself in his father’s home with several weapons and threatened to kill himself. After a 14-hour standoff with authorities, Dean was killed by a police officer after he aimed a gun at another officer, authorities told the Washington Post.
    Veterans for America’s Robinson told IPS that Dean, who had already served 18 months in Afghanistan, had been diagnosed with PTSD. He had just been informed that his unit would be sent to Iraq on Jan. 14.
    “We call that suicide by cop,” Robinson said.
    After his death, Dean’s friends told the Washington Post that the reservist enjoyed hunting and fishing but had lost much of his enthusiasm for life when he found out that he was being deployed to Iraq.

http://www.ipsnews.net/2007/01/healt...-mental-agony/

Related

HEALTH-US: Iraq Brings Wounds That Deepen With Time

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    Lots of people think the Iraq war was a small war with low casualties. It's just technology can keep more wounded alive. And I personally know somebody whose brother came back from Iraq without a dick.

IED's blow underneath vehicles, and shoot shrapnel straight into guys junk.

But it's all okay because the neocon responsible will use you as a photo op.

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

That's just horrible
    Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
    I am an investigative journalist for Ben Swann's Truth in Media
    Check out my liberty-friendly experimental rock/punk/metal band Look What I Did

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Despicable, but true.

+1 rep

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Lots of people think the Iraq war was a small war with low casualties. It's just technology can keep more wounded alive. And I personally know somebody whose brother came back from Iraq without a dick.

They should have watched Apocalypse Now.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

maybe it will help weed the "willing to kill for hire" trait out of the gene pool - keep amputating

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Funny they don't mention that in their recruitment pamphlets.

All Your Junk...

Are Belong To U.S.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post

Iraq war led by right-wing neocons and supported by most left-wing neocons was extremely costly for US and the world.
    And there is good deal of wars support and use of photo ops among almost all US past/current politicians.

all for nothing, worse than nothing now with ISIS taking over

there isn't a hell hot enough for those that advocated for this war

Beyond The Battlefield: Afghanistan's Wounded Struggle With Genital Injuries

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1335356.html

Increasing Amputation and Genital Injury Rates admitted to LRMC 2009-2010

http://www.health.mil/~/media/MHS/Pr...EFHolcomb.ashx

It's become so common

that some soldiers reportedly visit sperm banks to store their sperm before deploying.
    http://www.statesman.com/news/news/s...n-war-1/nRkbq/

"They ask us not to save them if their ‘junk' gets blown off,"

[]

"We'll get guys in here with all of the skin on their legs pushed up like a pair of loose pants around their waist,"
    http://archive.armytimes.com/article...ntline-Marines

Medical staff at Landstuhl also noticed a rise in severe genital injuries last fall.

"In my 21/2 years here, it's just started," intensive-care unit nurse Kathryn Gillespie said in late October.

Most critically injured soldiers arrive at Landstuhl unconscious or heavily sedated. Some regain consciousness for the first time since the battlefield during their two- or three-day stay. Gillespie described a typical awakening.

"The first thing we let them know is they're in Germany. We tell them, 'You're hurt, but you're okay.' Then they want to do a scan of their body. They ask, 'Is my junk all together?' They want to check their 'package.' Then they check their arms and legs. This all happens probably within 15 minutes of being off sedation."

Many patients, minds clouded by illness and medication, "discover" their injuries more than once during the stay.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a8_1...iSrHbiBVZ6r.99
    Last edited by presence; 12-19-2014 at 08:14 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I wonder how many soldiers would have decided to forgo the whole war thing if they read about this stuff before joining..
    Last edited by dannno; 12-19-2014 at 06:43 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

"You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Army: ballistic boxers-yes; ballistic cups-no

Marines wearing "ballistic boxers" aka "blast panties"

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Its time we stood together and stop funding this monster.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Iraq war led by right-wing neocons and supported by most left-wing neocons was extremely costly for US and the world.
    And there is good deal of wars support and use of photo ops among almost all US past/current politicians.

I guess Obama upped the photo op ante with double amputees. "Anything you can do I can do better...."

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    maybe it will help weed the "willing to kill for hire" trait out of the gene pool - keep amputating
    That's pretty f#cked up man.

Quote Originally Posted by mtr1979 View Post
    That's pretty f#cked up man.
    Is it f#cked up because it's true

US troops are already offered such a service, with help given to donate and freeze sperm.
    http://www.pollentree.com/sperm-dona...ilitary-action

Don't ever join the military to go and fight for Israel. But if you decide to anyway, go with the Navy or Airforce. You're less likely to have your nuts chopped off.

We wore ballastic underwear and ballastic diapers over that.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Army: ballistic boxers-yes; ballistic cups-no

Marines wearing "ballistic boxers" aka "blast panties"

That's very old, the new stuff is called "pugs and pogs." The POG kind of looks like a kevlar maxi pad if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    One of biggest blunders in US history.

Actually, I would consider it a success of epic proportions for those interests who advocated for it and profited by the trillions.

Looks like it was worth it to the soldiers, they seem to be happy in their current condition. Jogging with the president and all that.

Without Sacrifice there is no honor.

Have fun playing war.

Is there anybody left on this forum that can do basic math? Dude says he worked for 4 months - article dates from Jan, 2007 - thus some 180 cases in a four month period, when total wounded were 2800 in those four months. Thus this guys claims he worked on over 6% of all wounded US personnel.

I call bull$#@!.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    Dude says he worked for 4 months - article dates from Jan, 2007 - thus some 180 cases in a four month period, when total wounded were 2800 in those four months. Thus this guys claims he worked on over 6% of all wounded US personnel.
    By no means an expert in stats but if calculator can be used, we'll need to know how many total surgeons were tasked at this facility in Germany for handling severe injured cases like these to arrive at an average case number figure.

This is general Iraq news about staff shortage I came across that may or may not be related here.

Iraq: staff and medicine shortages are major challenges
    www.thelancet.com/pdfs/.../PIIS0140-6736(14)61615-9.pdf
    Sep 13, 2014 - “An IED. [Improvised Explosive Device] hit our ... ground in the 8-year-long Iraq war. ... 15 doctors, and 20 paramedics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast