Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marco Rubio Slams Rand Paul On Cuba: ‘He Has No Idea What He’s Talking About’

Marco Rubio Slams Rand Paul On Cuba: ‘He Has No Idea What He’s Talking About’

Marco Rubio Slams Rand Paul On Cuba: ‘He Has No Idea What He’s Talking About’ [VIDEO] - http://dailycaller.com/2014/12/18/ma...g-about-video/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL. So Marco. You just admitted the embargo isn't working (it has all sorts of holes in it) so we should keep it up because.....?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    LOL. So Marco. You just admitted the embargo isn't working (it has all sorts of holes in it) so we should keep it up because.....?
    He is saying its not working not because embargo don't work but because the embargo wasn't implemented well. Hence the holes in it that I am guessing needs to be fixed. I think he has a point, if you want to enact an embargo, then go ahead and do it, it has to ban all trade and commercial activity with Cuba and the one we have still allows American farmers to sell to Cuba.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    He is saying its not working not because embargo don't work but because the embargo wasn't implemented well. Hence the holes in it that I am guessing needs to be fixed. I think he has a point, if you want to enact an embargo, then go ahead and do it, it has to ban all trade and commercial activity with Cuba and the one we have still allows American farmers to sell to Cuba.
    Even if the US would not trade one single product or dollar with Cuba, the rest of the world would still trade with Cuba as it does today. The US embargo has no affect on Cuba except as an "excuse" for the Cuban Government on why their citizens do not have access to goods on the island., which is a complete farce.
    Rand Paul for Peace

Go swig some water, and STFU.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

If Rubio wants to fight Rand on an issue where 70% of Cuban-Americans and 80%+ of all Americans agree with Rand, then I encourage him strongly to do so.
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    If Rubio wants to fight Rand on an issue where 70% of Cuban-Americans and 80%+ of all Americans agree with Rand, then I encourage him strongly to do so.
    This, let people take punches at Rand where they themselves are in a sharp minority. They will be breaking themselves off into the outgroup. Given the popularity of normalizing trade (particularly along with the recognition that trade is how you reform them) the more ape Rubio goes, probably the better for Rand. Rubio is marginalizing himself right now without Rand having to say a word.

i predict Marco won't be re-elected.

any Liberty folks down there willing to jump into the breach?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Marco, if you're so sure, then go ahead and boycott Cuba and share the truth with us using words to persuade us all to join you voluntarily. It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post

Really? I thought being tough on Castro was a winning position in Florida?

True, I don't know how well this will play out in the GOP primaries in particular though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    This, let people take punches at Rand where they themselves are in a sharp minority. They will be breaking themselves off into the outgroup. Given the popularity of normalizing trade (particularly along with the recognition that trade is how you reform them) the more ape Rubio goes, probably the better for Rand. Rubio is marginalizing himself right now without Rand having to say a word.
    Except that majorities don't matter in this sort of game. Look at the homosexual agenda, and they are what, 3% of the population?

The pro-embargo lobby is VERY powerful, especially in Florida (and maybe Iowa too due to HFCS being used as a sugar substitute). But Jeb winning Florida is probably a foregone conclusion so it may not matter to Rand until the general election.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Well we've had what 50 years? And during that time there has been more than one instance where there was a republican president and a republican house and senate. If it could be "fixed" then why isn't it? And then, if it was "fixed" then wouldn't suffering of the Cuban people, which Rubio says isn't happening precisely because of the "holes", increase? Also considering that we fought a war against Vietnam, why don't we have an embargo against them if communist nations need to be embargoed? And what about China?

Quote Originally Posted by LatinsforPaul View Post
    Even if the US would not trade one single product or dollar with Cuba, the rest of the world would still trade with Cuba as it does today. The US embargo has no affect on Cuba except as an "excuse" for the Cuban Government on why their citizens do not have access to goods on the island., which is a complete farce.
    Yeah. We thought Cuba would collapse without the Soviet Union. But they have found other trading partners.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

YOU FEEL ME???? LOL embarrassed to call that CHUMP my Senator. Smh, really wish I lived in Kentucky right now lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash (R) MI-3rd
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

THE FUTURE OF THE GOP = R[∃vo˩]ution 2.0: Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NOVALibertarian View Post
    First they ignore you= Ron Paul, 2007-2008
    Then they laugh at you= Ron Paul, 2012
    Then they fight you= Rand Paul, 2014-2015
    And then you win= Rand Paul, November 8th, 2016

YOU FEEL ME???? LOL embarrassed to call that CHUMP my Senator. Smh, really wish I lived in Kentucky right now lol
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Except that majorities don't matter in this sort of game. Look at the homosexual agenda, and they are what, 3% of the population?

The pro-embargo lobby is VERY powerful, especially in Florida (and maybe Iowa too due to HFCS being used as a sugar substitute). But Jeb winning Florida is probably a foregone conclusion so it may not matter to Rand until the general election.
    Matt, the problem with your analogy is that the 3% of the gays have convinced a large percentage of the straight population to go along with their ideas. The exact opposite is happening with the anti Castro Cubans. They are losing ground even among Cubans. I guarantee you that if 70% of gays were against gay marriage and 80% of the overall population was as well, the "vocal minority" would have little if any power. Just look at Cuba's favorable / unfavorable numbers.

This issue will win Marco Rubio some money from old hard line Cuban ex-pats who are still hoping to get their sugarcane plantations back but that's about it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Really? I thought being tough on Castro was a winning position in Florida?
    I thought this as well. My recollection at least from the Eighties, is that Cuban Americans were anti Castro, therefore pro embargo. Which, being pro embargo is a real shame since it most likely only tightened Castro's grip on Cuba.
    Last edited by Henry Rogue; 12-19-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

(and maybe Iowa too due to HFCS being used as a sugar substitute).
    You can forget about that being a factor. Sugar is more expensive than HFCS in the US because of the sugar import quota. Whether we trade with Cuba or not won't move the sugar price down a single penny.
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

Matt, the problem with your analogy is that the 3% of the gays have convinced a large percentage of the straight population to go along with their ideas. The exact opposite is happening with the anti Castro Cubans. They are losing ground even among Cubans. I guarantee you that if 70% of gays were against gay marriage and 80% of the overall population was as well, the "vocal minority" would have little if any power. Just look at Cuba's favorable / unfavorable numbers.
    I understand, but popularity doesn't matter in regards to policy.... strategic force vectors are what matters, and the pro-embargo crowd uses this to their advantage, even though they are a shrinking minority.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I understand, but popularity doesn't matter in regards to policy.... strategic force vectors are what matters, and the pro-embargo crowd uses this to their advantage, even though they are a shrinking minority.
    They've shrunk past the tipping point now. Don't forget Obama won Florida in 2012. A republican who stakes out a pro-embargo position will absolutely lose the general election in 2016. So the question becomes what about the GOP primary? Marco Rubio has Florida locked up already. (Although this issue could possibly hurt Rubio). I doubt this one issue will have much play outside of Florida even in GOP primaries.

Edit: I see you said earlier that you think Jeb will win Florida and it might not matter for Rand except in the general. I would put my money on Rubio winning Florida unless he's forced to drop out before then. But in the general this issue will absolutely help Rand.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 12-19-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NACBA View Post
    Marco Rubio Slams Rand Paul On Cuba: ‘He Has No Idea What He’s Talking About’ [VIDEO] - http://dailycaller.com/2014/12/18/ma...g-about-video/

Rubio << imbecile.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

And who in hell are the feds to ban trade?

Egad, this world is so hosed, it makes my brain swell and itch wildly.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post

Naw the odds are very in his favor for Senate re-election right now. But the right primary challenger may become his Greg Brannon, Chris McDaniel or even Dave Brat if he keeps thinking some 50 year old foreign policy decisions are still gonna stick going into the future.

Rubio needs to stop presenting himself as a Cuba expert.

He needs to be reminded of the time he got caught lying about when his parents left Cuba.

He claimed it was post revolution for political reasons but the truth was they left before.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They've shrunk past the tipping point now. Don't forget Obama won Florida in 2012. A republican who stakes out a pro-embargo position will absolutely lose the general election in 2016. So the question becomes what about the GOP primary? Marco Rubio has Florida locked up already. (Although this issue could possibly hurt Rubio). I doubt this one issue will have much play outside of Florida even in GOP primaries.

Edit: I see you said earlier that you think Jeb will win Florida and it might not matter for Rand except in the general. I would put my money on Rubio winning Florida unless he's forced to drop out before then. But in the general this issue will absolutely help Rand.
    Rubio is not running

That's an emotional appeal. Homosexual issues are emotional with 90% of the population. Trade with Cuba is emotional to 5% of the population. Florida sugar growers suffer from the high cost of sugar too, with artificially lowered demand. Cuba is a rational appeal. A simple rational argument why everyone benefits is all you really need, and let the wingnuts break themselves off while you are the rational one.

You can forget about that being a factor. Sugar is more expensive than HFCS in the US because of the sugar import quota. Whether we trade with Cuba or not won't move the sugar price down a single penny.
    The sugar market is horribly complex. I used to work for a candy company that used pure sugar. American sugar. I don't remember the exact process, but I know that American sugar growers are also really hurt by this in some manner. This whole market is regulated down to the single plant. It is very difficult to get and keep really large quantities of real sugar coming, and even more difficult for American-sourced. Evidence on store shelves would suggest that market has improved.

In any case, there are barriers set up all over the place in every direction foreign and domestic just to prop up Iowa corn.

First in the nation baby.

Matt Collins doesn't know what he's talking about.... now there's a thread title I can live with

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    The sugar market is horribly complex. I used to work for a candy company that used pure sugar. American sugar. I don't remember the exact process, but I know that American sugar growers are also really hurt by this in some manner. This whole market is regulated down to the single plant. It is very difficult to get and keep really large quantities of real sugar coming, and even more difficult for American-sourced. Evidence on store shelves would suggest that market has improved.
    Some of it is the pseudo science of the 70s and 80s that bemoaned the evils of sugar. I would not be at all surprised to find that import quotas were the result of this nonsense. Even if true, which I doubt in - certainly in the ways in which it is portrayed - it is not The Mob's place to put such restrictions on the markets. That they do this is a contributing reason that our economy is on the heap.

In any case, there are barriers set up all over the place in every direction foreign and domestic just to prop up Iowa corn.
    Still more evidence of invalid and, in fact, destructive government interference in the markets. Pardon me please, but to hell with Iowa corn farmers. So-called "protectionism" is the desire of parasites who want their places in the scheme of things guaranteed. They should all go out of business as far as I am concerned and let the entrepreneurs fill the voids.

The political arrangements in the USA are hopelessly broken, and while I am the first to blame the perfidious character of the people, both in and out of The Mob, I reiterate that the Constitution is in no small part a great contributing factor. We cannot have a land that is at once free and corrupt. Therefore the bulk of the onus rests with all of us in our attitudes and deeds. However, this Constitution of ours makes so painlessly easy the disaffections of The Mob that there is no question in my mind that the document should be scrapped in toto and replaced. I hold zero doubt that a vastly improved scheme can be architected from a blank sheet. Would it guarantee freedom? Not even close - the qualities of the people would still be the prime determinant of the qualities of life in America - but it would go a LONG WAY toward setting the psychological stage for people's attitudes and their willingness and boldness to act as proper governors, primarily of themselves, but also of others when called for.
    Last edited by osan; 12-20-2014 at 04:08 PM.

From what I understand the younger Cuban-Americans aren't as militant in their opposition to Castro as their parents are.
    Stop believing stupid things

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast