Thread: CIA Report admits that assassination of Taliban leaders doesn't work

CIA Report admits that assassination of Taliban leaders doesn't work

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30543290

The removal of senior Taliban leaders has had little impact on the organisation, a CIA report released by Wikileaks has said.

The 2009 report analyses "high value targeting" in a number of conflicts - the assassination of senior insurgents.

It said the Taliban's ability to replace lost leaders has hampered the effectiveness of coalition operations against its leadership.

The CIA would not comment on the leaked documents.

The report, which Wikileaks describes as "pro-assassination", looks at the pros and cons of "high value targeting" (HVT) programmes.

As well as examining recent actions in Iraq and Afghanistan, the report assesses British action in Northern Ireland, Sri Lankan operations against Tamil Tigers and French efforts during the Algerian civil war, among others.

Benefits of HVT operations, according to the report, include "eroding insurgent effectiveness, weakening insurgent will and reducing the level of insurgent support".

Potential negatives include "strengthening an armed group's bond with the population" and "radicalising an insurgent group's remaining leaders".

On Afghanistan, the report said that targeting senior Taliban figures has been constrained by problems connecting it to broader Afghan and Nato efforts against the organisation.

It also says the Taliban has "good succession planning and bench strength, especially at the middle levels".

Since the report was written, President Obama has increased drone strikes in north-west Pakistan, targeting Taliban and al-Qaeda leaders.

There have also been several strikes in Yemen.
    "Statesmen may plan and speculate for liberty, but it is religion and morality alone which can establish the principles upon which freedom can securely stand." - John Adams

"He is the best friend to American liberty, who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion, and who sets himself with the greatest firmness to bear down on profanity and immorality of every kind." - John Witherspoon

Why I stand with Rand

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In that case, thank GOD we're droneing ISIS leaders!

-t

But...but...but....torture is effective because it helps us target leaders for drone assassinations that end up killing more innocent civilians than leaders.

Seriously, if the freaking Soviet Union couldn't beat Islamists by out brutalizing them, how can we?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

I must ask , did they not think they would be replaced ?

Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    I wish I had room in the house for one of those ,

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    Seems like we never learn.

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.