Thread: Anyone familiar with the Cincinnati, OH area?

Anyone familiar with the Cincinnati, OH area?

Not exactly the right forum to post in, but it looks like Kludge may well get a job working in a tech capacity with someone he's friends with via BTC stuff--and it's right outside of Cincinnati (about 20 miles NE). Expensive area, but allegedly a very nice town--all I've been able to glean so far is "don't live in Hamilton," also a suburb of Cincinnati. I won't be moving there anytime soon, because my job is the kid and renovations for now--so I'm charged with finding him some sort of room share with a non-psycho who is somewhat close to Mason, OH.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lol. Most the relatives on my dad's side are from Hamilton. I'm glad he found something in the tech industry there.

I live in the area and can definitely vouch for "don't live in Hamilton". I recommend Fairfield, West Chester, Ross or Mason. PM me if you'd like more gouge.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

Cincinnati is the scariest place I have ever been, I spent a night in the bad part of town.

I would assume living right across the river in Kentucky would be best, of course, Indiana is right near there too. You should compare laws and taxes etc in the 3 States with regard to whichever freedoms you care the most about. Gun ownership, homeschooling, zoning, etc.

Ohio is far worse than KY and IN I think, KY would be the best. You would live in Thomas Massie's district.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Lol. Most the relatives on my dad's side are from Hamilton. I'm glad he found something in the tech industry there.

From what I've seen in the real estate market in Hamilton, it really doesn't seem all that bad (but that's just from agent pics). And I always prefer neighborhoods that need work--not much around the outskirts leading toward Mason though.

Quote Originally Posted by willwash View Post
    I live in the area and can definitely vouch for "don't live in Hamilton". I recommend Fairfield, West Chester, Ross or Mason. PM me if you'd like more gouge.
    Mason is expensive, but likely where he'd rent for the next year or so with a room-mate. West Chester seemed a bit more affordable. I'm staying here on ye olde family farm until it's done enough to make a decent profit at resale, or I might keep it as a rental.

I'll PM you if I start finding actual investment properties down there and all I'd need is essentially a "HELL NO!/perhaps/nice area!" I've read that Mason has a great school district and is decent on taxes, but it doesn't look like there's a lot of opportunity in the fixer-upper arena.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Cincinnati is the scariest place I have ever been, I spent a night in the bad part of town.

I would assume living right across the river in Kentucky would be best, of course, Indiana is right near there too. You should compare laws and taxes etc in the 3 States with regard to whichever freedoms you care the most about. Gun ownership, homeschooling, zoning, etc.

Ohio is far worse than KY and IN I think, KY would be the best. You would live in Thomas Massie's district.
    I've thought about IN and KY, but that'd make a hell of a commute. KY is beautiful--and being in Massie's district would be fantastic! IN has good property tax limitations--also good. Plus, I could go shopping with oyarde.

ETA: Scariest place I ever stayed was in Philadelphia, at this creepy-ass hotel somewhere around the gay district--I barely had any money, was stranded and had to find the cheapest place possible. Swear to god there were pubic hairs on the towel in the bathroom and the door looked like someone had tried to break in recently.

Then there was the Greyhound bus trip to get the hell out of that city. Haven't been back since.
    Last edited by amy31416; 12-19-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    --so I'm charged with finding him some sort of room share with a non-psycho who is somewhat close to Mason, OH.
    Why would you do that to a "non-psycho?"
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Why would you do that to a "non-psycho?"
    It's all relative...errr. You make a good point.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I've thought about IN and KY, but that'd make a hell of a commute. KY is beautiful--and being in Massie's district would be fantastic! IN has good property tax limitations--also good. Plus, I could go shopping with oyarde.
    It depends on what you consider a long commute, everyone sees it differently. Mason OH is a a 24 mile/30 minute drive from Newport KY for example. Mapquest tells me this stuff
    http://www.mapquest.com/

That's about the distance from me to the main city in my area. Some people would think its a big deal, it really depends on what you are used too.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by willwash View Post
    Liberty township is a nice spot between these and everything is in reach...we could be neighbors and you could vote AGAINST BONNER!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

It depends on what you consider a long commute, everyone sees it differently. Mason OH is a a 24 mile/30 minute drive from Newport KY for example. Mapquest tells me this stuff

That's about the distance from me to the main city in my area. Some people would think its a big deal, it really depends on what you are used too.
    Personally, I would be fine with that, but I won't be the one commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Liberty township is a nice spot between these and everything is in reach...we could be neighbors and you could vote AGAINST BONNER!
    Wow, vote against him, that's the optimistic way of thinking for sure.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

While N KY isn't a far distance from Cincy, if the job is 20 miles NE then that adds a good bit more. Not sure how far Indiana is from there.

Indiana has a super majority of Rs in their state legislature with a R governor. The leadership here is every bit as bad as the federal level. They are chamber of commerce lackeys.

On the other hand, KY is still lead by Democrats with a Democrat governor. But they are pretty strong conservative, as evidenced by Massie.

Ohio is a swing state, so maybe you could help swing an election!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    While N KY isn't a far distance from Cincy, if the job is 20 miles NE then that adds a good bit more. Not sure how far Indiana is from there.

Indiana has a super majority of Rs in their state legislature with a R governor. The leadership here is every bit as bad as the federal level. They are chamber of commerce lackeys.

On the other hand, KY is still lead by Democrats with a Democrat governor. But they are pretty strong conservative, as evidenced by Massie.

Ohio is a swing state, so maybe you could help swing an election!
    How do you think IN and KY compare on actual restrictive laws on the books? I mean, carrying guns etc, anything you can think of. Tax rates... I would think KY would be slightly better overall, but I've heard IN is pretty good in some ways.

You know IN better than any of us.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

He's ^ from texas, anything under 2 hours is a short commute to those folk.

Cant help on the OP question, but I can't hear the word Cincinnati without thinking of this:

Tell kludge good luck.

How do you think IN and KY compare on actual restrictive laws on the books? I mean, carrying guns etc, anything you can think of. Tax rates... I would think KY would be slightly better overall, but I've heard IN is pretty good in some ways.

You know IN better than any of us.
    Indiana has the property tax caps which is nice - although all the politicians cry about them. (which tells you they're working)

I think gun rights are good here and will improve with the Rs in power. They do love to placate the gun lobby.

Indiana's worst position right now is their worship of the chamber. They are all about economic development (ie: central planning and government picking/choosing the winners/losers). Or the game of "whoever donates the most to my campaign gets the contract"
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is living in Kentucky an option?

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Is living in Kentucky an option?
    Probably not for him--he hates driving and isn't exactly great at it.

That part of KY is gorgeous though.

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    Indiana has the property tax caps which is nice - although all the politicians cry about them. (which tells you they're working)

I think gun rights are good here and will improve with the Rs in power. They do love to placate the gun lobby.

Indiana's worst position right now is their worship of the chamber. They are all about economic development (ie: central planning and government picking/choosing the winners/losers). Or the game of "whoever donates the most to my campaign gets the contract"

As a Hoosier myself, I agree 100% with mosquitobite's summary.

One note on the gun rights issue: In Indiana, one may apply for a lifetime concealed carry permit. That just changed recently; up until a few years ago the permits were issued on a four year basis.

And Kentucky? Kentucky's a beautiful place, but it would mean driving through Cincinnati to get to work in Ohio. And IMHO driving through Cincinnati's a first class pain in the ass no matter the time of day.

West Chester is a pretty nice area. I used to pick up loads in that town all the time. All the shiny pretty people driving their shiny pretty cars used to glare at me and wonder why the Big Ugly Semi Truck was spoiling the ambiance of their town. (Okay, I'm kidding just a bit. The town IS nice, and most of the people are too!)

Here's my synopsis:

Hamilton: lots of fixer uppers; you could easily buy a 3 or 4 bedroom home for under 50,000 (under 30,000 if you really want to hunt and peck) and make it a decent house with 15,000 cash and some elbow grease (if you know what you're doing). Or you could get a move-in-ready mini-mansion for 150,000. However,, the schools are abysmal, and your neighbors will all be disgruntled, laid off former factory workers who still think it's somehow worth $42/hour to screw in widgets and are constantly reliving their glory days doing so in the 90s while washing down their present sorrows with an assortment of booze, meth, and heroin. You will also seriously contemplate vandalizing the railroad tracks in the middle of the night just to get some relief from the incessant blocking of traffic the trains cause (I am not joking...the main train line through Hamilton has a train blocking traffic about 60% of the time, especially during morning rush hour). If that doesn't bother you and you're willing to invest in a good home security system and a few handguns, Hamilton can be a bargain. 40 minutes to downtown Cincy.

Fairfield: Good middle of the road type place. Minimal railroad traffic, solid (not great) school districts, Jungle Jim's is right there (if you have any interest whatsoever in exotic food shopping, this is your Heaven). It's also a little closer to Cincinnati than Hamilton. Most people are gainfully employed in solid middle class careers, though Fairfield is in danger of going the way of Hamilton if the greater economy does not turn itself around soon. Lots of car dealerships. A good house here will run you high 100k to mid 200k range (caps out in the high 200s), or low to mid 100s for a foreclosure or fixer upper. 30 minutes to downtown Cincy.

West Chester. Solid upper middle class ground here. Most residents have business degrees and make high 5 figure/low 6 figure salaries and the schools are excellent. Buy Buy Baby instead of Babies R us, Whole Foods and The Fresh Market instead of regular grocery stores, etc. Lots of mom and pop coffee shops and big name shopping centers. West Chester is probably what most people think of when they think "White America"...quaint, quiet, and peaceful, almost everyone drives an SUV and lives in an HOA development in a large, cookie cutter house under 10 years old, and quintessentially suburban. Entry level decent housing will be in the high 200s (maybe low 200s for a foreclosure or fixer upper), and it caps out in the mid 400s or so. 35 minutes to downtown Cincy. Everyone works for GE.

Mason: top of the line. This is where the rich people live. Your MBAs, your dentists, your doctors, successful small business owners, etc. The schools are outstanding, the housing is expensive (mid 300's just to get in the door, but serious Mason home shoppers should be prepared to drop half a mil or more), the shopping is actually better in West Chester, but consequently the traffic is not as bad in Mason. King's Island is here, so be sure to get a season pass; clearly, you can afford it.
    Last edited by willwash; 12-19-2014 at 11:55 AM.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

see?
    “Indiana’s strong economy, fiscal responsibility and pro-growth policies make days like this possible,” said Pence. “Today’s announcement includes some of the nation’s fastest growing companies, and they have all either launched in Indiana or are choosing to move here. From tech developers to manufacturing powerhouses, the collective energy of these Hoosier businesses will help power our economy into 2015, creating jobs, promoting opportunities and investing in our future.”

Today’s news comes amidst the state’s record-breaking year of economic development results. In 2014, the Indiana Economic Development Corporation (IEDC) secured job commitments from 285 companies from across the country and around the world, an increase from 261 companies in 2013 and more than any other year on record. The 285 companies anticipate investing $4.38 billion in their Indiana operations and creating 25,317 new jobs in the coming years. The new positions, which companies anticipate to hire over the next five years, pay an expected hourly wage of $21.75, above the state’s current hourly wage of $20.17.
    http://www.in.gov/activecalendar/Eve...&type=&rss=rss