Thread: ‘Big Lebowski’ trivia you should know as cult classic heads to National Film Registry

‘Big Lebowski’ trivia you should know as cult classic heads to National Film Registry

I, for one, miss the RPF mods' Lebowski avatars from this most excellent movie.

http://www.theburningplatform.com/20...e-dude-abides/

Sixteen years after its release, cult classic “The Big Lebowski” is headed to the National Film Registry, among 25 films selected by the Library of Congress to be preserved as important parts of American history.The film, written and directed by the Coen brothers, flopped at the box office but then radiated as a cultural phenomenon, spawning annual festivals in dozens of cities, late-night movie showings and even its own religion built on the laid-back slacker philosophies of The Dude. The unemployed and always quotable Dude, played by Jeff Bridges, has even been cited in academic research papers over the years. Will Russell, the co-founder of Lebowski Fest, who has watched the film hundreds of times, told the Washington Post, “It’s only after 10 or 12 viewings that the film’s true beauty emerges.”

The other films added to the registry this year include “Saving Private Ryan,” “Rosemary’s Baby,” “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” and “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.”

So sit back, grab a White Russian and enjoy a few surprising gems about the 1998 classic.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    the dude abides
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Saint's Defensive Coordinator
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

I wonder if "Drowning Mona" is already in the registry. Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post

The Salton Sea should be in there.

The F-word can be heard 292 times, which reportedly tops the word’s frequency in “Scarface.”

Seen it at the theater when it came out - by the a suggestion from a movie buff coworker (who is now an assistant producer - IT to movie productions, gotta love it)

I've received a lot of movie recommendations, but this dude was spot on - every time. I'd never heard of a nihilist before seeing this movie... Stands as one of my all time favorites.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

“It’s only after 10 or 12 viewings that the film’s true beauty emerges.”
    Truer words....
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Truer words....
    i've seen it a couple times. you suggest more?

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    i've seen it a couple times. you suggest more?
    I would, I think that quote is spot-on.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I would, I think that quote is spot-on.

I already think the movie is comedic genius. There are more layers to reveal?

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    I already think the movie is comedic genius. There are more layers to reveal?
    http://buriedmovietreasures.blogspot...-lebowski.html
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

whoa.
    I feel like I've been Jordan Maxwelled.
    Yes, I turned a man into a verb.

The Sixth Sense got me the same way.

Every movie I've seen by the Coen brothers has been, at minimum, above par for Hollywood fare.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Love that movie.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Guy who lived down the way from me wore a bath robe , got high all the time , drank white Russians , this was yrs before I saw that movie. He owned his own business and worked , maybe four hrs a day 5 or 6 days a week .He had not always been like this , but pretty steady for 30 , 40 yrs or so after his wife left .So , naturally , I liked the movie . My friend is old and terminally ill , cancer , I will miss him soon .He taught me to play Madden Football , I had never played a video game before, after yrs of that $#@! , once we got drunk enough , I could actually beat him every once in awhile . My guess is you get good at this $#@! when you have all day .... , I have never beaten him at ping pong and I probably only ever beat my Dad a couple times.We have had some nice fires in the back yard , grilling out while he was carrying around a half gallon white Russian .....