Thread: California Highway Patrol now describes itself as a Paramilitary Organization

California Highway Patrol now describes itself as a Paramilitary Organization

The militarization of police in America is not a theory; the largest state police force in the country now openly recruiting as a “paramilitary organization.”

As the debate surrounding police militarization continues to grow, some police departments are actually seeking to become more like military organizations. Some of those departments are actually even going public with their militaristic aspirations.

The California Highway Patrol for example, lists as its #1 question on its employment application paperwork, “Are you willing to work in a paramilitary organization, operating under a structured chain of-command?”

On their website, they have an entire section dedicated to recruiting former soldiers and people with “paramilitary” experience.

On their military recruiting page they once again refer to their organization as “paramilitary”:

“The CHP offers military personnel a unique working environment which utilizes the skills, self-discipline, and life experiences you have developed during military service. Former military personnel easily fit into the CHP’s workforce and adapt well to our paramilitary work environment. You can use your former military skills and self-initiative to help you promote through the CHP’s ranks.”

Then again on the department’s Cadet page:

“The California Highway Patrol is often described as a “paramilitary” department, and that is true. The uniforms, ranks and insignias, chain of command, and the long-standing traditions resemble a military organization. There is a remarkable esprit de corps in the California Highway Patrol that is unique to this organization. On graduation day you will have earned and will take great pride in your new position as an Officer of the California Highway Patrol.”

This year alone the California Highway Patrol has been wrapped up in a number of corruption and excessive force accusations, most notably the police officer who was recorded assaulting a woman on the side of the road, and the woman who caught an officer stealing private photographs from her phone while she was arrested on a DUI charge.

As of December 18th, 2014, the admissions of being a paramilitary organization are still displayed for all to see on the CHP’s website, but it is likely that their public relations team will restructure their website as soon as enough people point it out.
    http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cal...-organization/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And what is it the military is used for?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    To kill people and break $#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    To kill people and break $#@!.
    Ding-ding!

This looks to me like LE in general, is actively recruiting people right out of military service, and training them to think of all ordinary citizens as potential combatants. Does anyone know of any statistics that show that a majority of LE is former military? That would be an interesting stat to see.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

California Highway Patrol now describes itself as a Paramilitary Organization
    What else was to be expected from the state that gave birth to SWAT teams?
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 12-18-2014 at 01:32 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    This looks to me like LE in general, is actively recruiting people right out of military service, and training them to think of all ordinary citizens as potential combatants. Does anyone know of any statistics that show that a majority of LE is former military? That would be an interesting stat to see.
    I'm looking... and found this and lol'd.

Five Hot Jobs for Ex-Military Personnel

Police Officer

Former military personnel hold a special place in the heart of police department recruiters across the U.S. The qualities of a great police officer are virtually identical to those of a great soldier: Both have a desire to serve their country and community and protect people and their rights. A career as a law-enforcement professional may appeal to those with military service because there are a variety of departments and specialties to pursue, not unlike the military.

Because vets are in such high demand, many police departments offer hiring perks, including extra points on the entrance exam, an age deduction from the maximum age limit, GI Bill benefits, retirement perks and more. Find police officer or security jobs.
    http://www.military.com/veteran-jobs...personnel.html

No hard numbers but this should give you some idea of just a how bad it is.

Military veterans to get priority for police jobs under COPS grants June 2012

Recent military veterans will have top priority for jobs under a federal program to put more police officers on patrol on America's streets.

Under the Justice Department's COPS (Community Oriented Policing Services) program, 629 of the 800 police jobs funded for the next three years – all the newly hired officers – must go to veterans who served at least 180 days' active duty since 9/11. This is the first time the 18-year-old COPS program has required cities and counties seeking grants to hire veterans exclusively.
    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/06...er-COPS-grants

January 2014
    Police officers and military veterans are kindred spirits. Both wear their uniforms with pride. Both don their uniforms to be part of a larger team of professionals protecting those who can't protect themselves at great personal risk. And both operate within a rigid command structure.

So it's natural that many military veterans seek employment in police ranks when they rejoin the civilian workforce. That's what is happening right now in numbers unseen since the closing days of the Vietnam War. The result is a job market flooded with well-qualified police officer candidates who served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

[...]

All branches of the U.S. military are facing the greatest downsizing of personnel since the post-World War II era. The Military Times recently reported that the Army alone is proposing to cut 80,000 soldiers from its ranks in the next 48 months.

All these downsized veterans are being cast out into the civilian world to look for work. Many of them will seek an easy fit into police work. But they are competing for a scarce few police jobs with thousands of fellow veterans and many more thousands of unemployed or underemployed recent university, college, and high school graduates.

So how does the recently discharged veteran get a step up on the competition? One way is to look for help in getting prepared for the civilian world.

Transition Assistance

Georgia-based Hire Heroes USA (hireheroesusa.org) is a non-profit organization with a national reputation for helping veterans get employment in the civilian job market. Brian Stann, president and CEO of Hire Heroes USA, says the organization helps about 100 veterans each week.

Stann says Hire Heroes finds that about 20% of returning veterans are seeking civilian law enforcement jobs. Some actually go into the military with the long-term goal of being a civilian police officer.

Hire Heroes works with the military's own transition assistance programs to get the vets ready before they are discharged. One of the most important steps is helping the veteran see how his or her military training applies in the job market.
    http://www.policemag.com/channel/car...forcement.aspx

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    I'm looking... and found this and lol'd.

http://www.military.com/veteran-jobs...personnel.html
    And, the problem with that of course, is that no matter how pure one's intentions are when they start a new career or job, if there's corruption, sooner or later they discover it. Then they have to make another decision about what to do - stay and be quiet, cover up; quit; whistleblow; or become corrupt too.

Something tells me there aren't enough whistleblowers to change anything of any significance. So, what's next? More bloodshed? How would that really make anything better?

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

My sister-in-law was on the citizen board panel that reviewed candidate applications for Police Officer hiring in her town. She told me that a veteran goes to the head of the line, and they most often get hired. Her son, my nephew was a Military Police, and i was told he will be trying to become a cop...somewhere...i told her if that happens, she, and her sons (she's divorced) will no longer be welcome in my home. There was a little back and forth over this. I haven't heard from her in over a year now. She lives 30 minutes from me....my wife agreed with me btw...

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    My sister-in-law was on the citizen board panel that reviewed candidate applications for Police Officer hiring in her town. She told me that a veteran goes to the head of the line, and they most often get hired. Her son, my nephew was a Military Police, and i was told he will be trying to become a cop...somewhere...i told her if that happens, she, and her sons (she's divorced) will no longer be welcome in my home. There was a little back and forth over this. I haven't heard from her in over a year now. She lives 30 minutes from me....my wife agreed with me btw...
    Much respect for you and your wife. +rep

Much respect for you and your wife. +rep
    Agreed...tough call. Good for both of them.

Well , I hope they are prepared because 150 million americans won't let them take our guns away without a fight.

I might have approached that from a different angle, although that depends on certain variables. I might have tried converting them to Dr. Paul (if that is even possible), and then convincing them to infiltrate, convert ,and/or whistle blow the corruption. One of the contributing factors to the collapse of Rome was the infiltration of a new faith - Christianity. It changed the mindset. And so my thinking is, if you want to change policy (the impending police-state), then change the culture (the mindset and resulting behaviors). That is done incrementally. Dr. Paul has a fair amount of military supporters, it would be nice to get a fair amount of police supporters too. Oathkeepers gets them when they've left the field, but it would be great if we could get them before they enter, or after they're there.

I do not speak from experience but I think that a person would have better chances facing a military person than a cop. My impression of military is they don't kill in cold blood. If someone surrenders they take them alive. They would not cower over a mentally impaired person holding a spoon. But as I said this is mere speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I do not speak from experience but I think that a person would have better chances facing a military person than a cop. My impression of military is they don't kill in cold blood. If someone surrenders they take them alive. They would not cower over a mentally impaired person holding a spoon. But as I said this is mere speculation.
    Yup, that's exactly what it is. Speculation.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    California Highway Patrol now describes itself as a Paramilitary Organization.
    Usually, admitting one has a problem is the first step in controlling one's problem. But i don't think that is the case with these goons.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

WAR
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    WAR
    And what is it good for?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    WAR
    And what is it good for?
    Absolutely umpty-gazillions of dollars for the military-industrial complex ...

I might have approached that from a different angle, although that depends on certain variables. I might have tried converting them to Dr. Paul (if that is even possible), and then convincing them to infiltrate, convert ,and/or whistle blow the corruption. One of the contributing factors to the collapse of Rome was the infiltration of a new faith - Christianity. It changed the mindset. And so my thinking is, if you want to change policy (the impending police-state), then change the culture (the mindset and resulting behaviors). That is done incrementally. Dr. Paul has a fair amount of military supporters, it would be nice to get a fair amount of police supporters too. Oathkeepers gets them when they've left the field, but it would be great if we could get them before they enter, or after they're there.
    Trust me. My sister-in-law knows my political ideals. I had a DON'T TREAD ON ME flag hanging over the fireplace during Ron's 08 run, and she saw it. We talked about Ron many times. But i did make things clear to her about cops a few years later. And thats when she told me about the nephew. And thats when things went south.

And what is it good for?
    Absolutely nothing.

Trust me. My sister-in-law knows my political ideals. I had a DON'T TREAD ON ME flag hanging over the fireplace during Ron's 08 run, and she saw it. We talked about Ron many times. But i did make things clear to her about cops a few years later. And thats when she told me about the nephew. And thats when things went south.
    What a bummer. I'm on the outs with one of my brothers right now. Although it isn't over ideology - we have the same political leanings.

Edit: Just noticed she was an outlaw (as opposed to an in-law), and not a blood relative. It's a little easier to cut ties with the outlaws than the blood....
    Last edited by Deborah K; 12-18-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave Mentality View Post
    Absolutely nothing.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And on a lighter note:

Y'all!