Thread: 25 Homemade Coffee Creamers and Syrups (without the nasty additives)

25 Homemade Coffee Creamers and Syrups (without the nasty additives)

I used to own a Cafe' and making simple syrups is easy.

25 Homemade Coffee Creamers and Syrups (without the nasty additives)

by: Daisy Luther | December 17, 2014

Do you love coffee or know someone who does? ‘Tis the season for the fanciest possible version of everything, and your hot beverage is no exception.

Places like Starbucks have taken flavored coffees to whole new level. At my local grocery store, there’s an entire refrigerated unit dedicated to decadent flavored creamers. Unfortunately, those creamers are rife with chemicals, including artificial flavors and neurotoxins like aspartame and sucralose. You certainly aren’t giving someone a “treat” by putting that stuff in their coffee. Here’s the list of ingredients for Coffeemate’s Hazelnut Creamer:

WATER, SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, AND LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)**, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, COLOR ADDED, CELLULOSE GEL, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, CELLULOSE GUM, CARRAGEENAN, DEXTROSE.

Sooooo….there’s no actual cream involved, nor is there any hazelnut mentioned in that chemistry project. Yum.

Here’s some great news, though: If you possess the ability to heat milk and use measuring spoons and a whisk, the fanciest flavors around can be yours, and at a fraction of the price of the artificial grocery store versions.

Start with an Excellent Coffee

Some studies show measurable health benefits for coffee drinkers. Those who drink more than 4 cups per day have a decreased risk of oral cancer, prostate cancer, and basal cell carcinoma. Moderate coffee consumption can also reduce your risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes. Coffee drinkers are also less susceptible to Alzheimers and dementia.

Some feel that coffee is not exactly health food, but it is incredibly high in antioxidants. Also, you can make far better choices than the usual offerings.

You should start with a good quality organic coffee bean. Green, or unroasted, coffee beans store the longest – if properly stashed away in a cool, dark place in mylar bags with a desiccant and an 02 absorber, it can last for ten years or more. Roasting coffee releases the oils, which means that the bean immediately begins to age.

Continued...
    Last edited by donnay; 12-18-2014 at 09:57 AM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks. Quite useful for gifts, considering that most people I know use the over-priced store-bought crap creamers. I only use some cream because I actually like the flavor of coffee.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

You're welcome. They do make great gifts--I like to makes cards with the recipes on them so that the people I give them to, can make their own. I made the mistake one year of not doing that and then I was constantly asked to make more.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I've recently found that using an espresso steamer will emulsify coconut oil into coffee. You get that "creamy brown" situation without milk.

We keep a steady mix of about 3 value priced organic beans in rotation in a 1 gallon hermetic jar.

I recently got a second hand LaPovina Napolitana as a gift
    http://www.amazon.com/La-Pavoni-PA-1.../dp/B000FEHG1M

Otherwise we brew in an all stainless Presto 12 cup
    http://www.amazon.com/Presto-02811-1...ator+stainless

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I roast my own Organic Mexican Chiapas coffee.

I make my own K-cups or I use a good old fashioned Press pot.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I've recently found that using an espresso steamer will emulsify coconut oil into coffee. You get that "creamy brown" situation without milk.
    I agree. I tried just stirring it in and didn't like it, the steam makes all the difference. Since I learned that trick, it's my favorite way to drink coffee.

I just blend grass fed butter, coconut oil and some chocolate protein powder into my espresso/coffee with a $6 milk frother.

http://www.amazon.com/MatchaDNA-Milk...s=milk+frother
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I just blend grass fed butter, coconut oil and some chocolate protein powder into my espresso/coffee with a $6 milk frother.

http://www.amazon.com/MatchaDNA-Milk...s=milk+frother
    I got one of those (not that exact one, mine was from IKEA) for my birthday but it broke after only a month. I decided to just start using the frother on my espresso machine instead of buying another gadget. If you don't have a steamer, that gadget is the way to go.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I got one of those (not that exact one, mine was from IKEA) for my birthday but it broke after only a month. I decided to just start using the frother on my espresso machine instead of buying another gadget. If you don't have a steamer, that gadget is the way to go.
    Ya I have an ikea brand and an off brand that are both about $6, not sure if the off brand is the exact one I posted.

I had to take the ikea one apart a couple times and put it back together, the button didn't work that great. The off brand one I got is awesome tho, no button problems and it is way more powerful.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Man. I gotta drag my espresso machine out one of these days.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Man. I gotta drag my espresso machine out one of these days.
    You can make custom coffee like a scientist with an aerobie.

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPr...aerobie+coffee

You can make custom coffee like a scientist with an aerobie.

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPr...aerobie+coffee
    Well, I know who's getting that for his birthday--thanks for the head's up. I only rarely drink coffee, but I'd experiment with that.

Oh--tried the Mexican mocha recipe in the OP--pretty good. Just needs to be shaken up prior to using, it does separate a bit.

Remember these things?

Remember these things?

Yes!

Hula hoops for anorexics.