Thread: Contrasting views on direction of Broward Republican Party

Contrasting views on direction of Broward Republican Party

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...215-story.html

Broward Republicans have a new party leader.

Read about Christine Butler and her election here.

Below are contrasting views.

First, a column written by Danita Kilcullen, co-founder of Tea Party Fort Lauderdale.

Second, an email from Alvin Entin, a longtime Republican committeeman.

From Kilcullen:

On Monday night [Dec. 8] a hard-fought battle was won in Broward County.

With a stunning majority, the Broward Republican Executive Committee (BREC) was snatched from the past two years of moderate/progressive Republican leadership and put into the laps of Conservatives; -- those Republicans who openly advocate that the Bible, the Constitution, and the Republican Platform serve as the basis by which outcomes are decided.

Not only did Vice Chair, Christine Butler take the Chairmanship, but her entire slate was also voted-in making up the entire Board, and creating what looks to be a welcomed coming era of détente, replacing two years of wrangle and discord.

In 2012, hardly known, Christine Butler ran for Chair of BREC but lost to the more familiar candidate, Tom Truex. Butler became his Vice Chair. The relationship that ensued between that administration, namely the Chairman himself v. half the membership body, has been constantly referred to as, "infighting," but in reality has been a "fight" from the Conservative wing of BREC against those referred to as "rinos." Had we allowed ourselves to be "silenced", settled for "unity" regardless of the gravity of the issue at hand, or accepted that we were the cause of the 'in-fighting', last evening's election would not have been won.

During her two-year term as Vice Chair, Butler showed herself to be fair-minded, and clearly far more conservative than the rest of the BREC Board, easily affording her the hearts and minds of tea party conservatives. Tea Party Fort Lauderdale signed-up more than 30 members to BREC over the past one-year and members campaigned and voted overwhelmingly for Ms. Butler.

Topics of contention over the past two years have included then BREC secretary Cara Pavalock who used a portion of the BREC email list asking members to "wear red" if they stood for those who spoke out for same-sex marriage. Ms. Pavalock wound-up resigning from office.

Other clashes have included such issues -- from allowing a Libertarian to guest-speak and lobby for the Amendment 2 Medical Marajuana bill, fights over common core and big-business charter schools -- to in-house uprisings and shouts of accusations of the chairman ignoring the rules and platform, filibustering and fence-sitting, name-calling when at one meeting Chairman Truex referred to his opposition members, likening us to crackpots and pigs. Not nice.

Last evening’s win for conservatives was fitting following the Republican victories in the 2014 mid-term elections, and sent a clear message that The People are sick of hearing of "diversity", "compromise", "moderation" and yearn for a return to Conservatism and true Republicanism….

Hopefully, last night’s success will serve as a model for other Republican Executive Committees around the State of Florida. If Broward County can do this, certainly it should be possible for other such clubs to follow suit in saying “NO’ to rinos.

Danita Kilcullen

BREC Member

Fort Lauderdale, FL

From Entin:

Dear Ms Butler

I am the Precinct Committeeman from Precinct J15 in Tamarac. Congratulations on your election last night. In your speech you made clear that you expect adherence to the National Party Platform which appeared to me to be a new requirement which excludes socially moderate Republicans from a role in the Party as envisioned by your leadership team. As a Pro-Choice Republican who also believes strongly in equal rights for all citizens regardless of race, color, creed, place of National Origin or Sexual Preference I am now quite uncomfortable in a BREC led by you. I agree with Governor Bush on Immigration issues which runs counter to the position of many, if not most of the members of your team.

I have been a Republican my whole life and ran for Congress as a Republican in 1980 against Bill Lehman. I have served as Party Legal Counsel in Dade County under Chuni Martinez, John Schmitz and Mary Ellen Miller. I have served as Party Legal Counsel in Broward under Ed Pozzouli, Kevin Tynan and George Lemieux. I have been a Delegate or Alternate Delegate to 2 National Conventions. That said, I cannot continue to serve my Party in an organization which has now chosen to exclude anyone who does not subscribe to a new orthodoxy which offends my personal conscience. Please accept my resignation as Precinct Committeeman effective immediately.

Thanking you in advance for your prompt attention to this matter,I remain;

Very Truly Yours

Alvin E. Entin Esq.
    So now as a new chairman is elected and the battle for 2016 starts, my new county party chairman is a solider for the old-guard, religious right, big government social conservatism. Now I met a lot of those people for the first time that night and I guess most Republicans may hold it as near and dear faith personally. Which is not wrong at all, but to only work to make the party the Socially Conservative Party will definitely be a loosing strategy if they want to become a BIG TENT PARTY. Why can't social conservatives see the economic downturn is more important then legislating personal choice social issues that divide us as a nation?
    Last edited by philipped; 12-17-2014 at 07:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash (R) MI-3rd
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

THE FUTURE OF THE GOP = R[∃vo˩]ution 2.0: Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NOVALibertarian View Post
    First they ignore you= Ron Paul, 2007-2008
    Then they laugh at you= Ron Paul, 2012
    Then they fight you= Rand Paul, 2014-2015
    And then you win= Rand Paul, November 8th, 2016

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Florida

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by philipped View Post
    So now as a new chairman is elected and the battle for 2016 starts, my new county party chairman is a solider for the old-guard, religious right, big government social conservatism. Now I met a lot of those people for the first time that night and I guess most Republicans may hold it as near and dear faith personally. Which is not wrong at all, but to only work to make the party the Socially Conservative Party will definitely be a loosing strategy if they want to become a BIG TENT PARTY. Why can't social conservatives see the economic downturn is more important then legislating personal choice social issues that divide us as a nation?
    I honestly wish I knew. Being a former social conservative, it's all easy to be like "BAN ALL THIS STUFF!!! PUT GOD BACK IN THE SCHOOLS! LET'S GO TO WAR!!!", but after a while, you realize how silly you look, and dictatorial too.

Social conservatives believe that if they "fix" the social issues, that'll help with the economy... somehow. There might be some sort of Krugman-Keynesian thought there somewhere. I don't know.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 05-13-2016 at 12:10 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    Even if the Repubs were able to get all of the 290,986 "Others" to go along with them, they're not going to win any significant elections. And coming up with GOP candidates which lean further to the socially conservative side is just going to drive more of the "Others" (and many of the GOPers) away.
    It's with statistics like this I will ask Republicans to not shy away from candidates who keep their socially conservative way of life outside of their politics. I guess it would be too much to ask for candidates that don't even take on social conservatism but hey. I think taking this route a little more than usual, I AM SURE it will bring more people in. I've seen the potential when you take the argument for conservatism with an emphasis on LIBERTY people think about it man....

This is definitely applicable in my area, as long as you bring the bacon a Republican can get the vote in Broward (Chip LaMarca, George Moraitis, Rick Scott). Bringing social conservatism in abundance to the average voter around here will bring DISMAL turnout.
    Last edited by philipped; 12-20-2014 at 03:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash (R) MI-3rd
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

THE FUTURE OF THE GOP = R[∃vo˩]ution 2.0: Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NOVALibertarian View Post
    First they ignore you= Ron Paul, 2007-2008
    Then they laugh at you= Ron Paul, 2012
    Then they fight you= Rand Paul, 2014-2015
    And then you win= Rand Paul, November 8th, 2016