Thread: Thaddeus McCotter predicts a libertarian "new world order" for the GOP

Thaddeus McCotter predicts a libertarian "new world order" for the GOP

Looks to be hawking a book but it's nice to see some establishmenty types acknowledge the changing dynamics.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/power-pl...001241732.html

Though he sees the march toward libertarianism as inevitable with the rise of the millennial generation, which he sees as forcing change within the party, he qualifies that this trend is gradual and has been going on for quite some time.

“The rise of libertarians is not something new within the Republican Party. I mean, Ron Paul actually puts that to rest, but the reality is [that] … the communications revolution is reshaping everything that we've known,” McCotter said. “That culture tends to be more libertarian, more empowered … and eventually that culture -- and the millennials especially as they age and mature -- is going to lead to match a consumer-driven economy to a citizen-driven government.”

Asked if Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is the GOP’s answer for channeling the energy of the libertarian movement into the mainstream Republican Party in 2016, McCotter replied: “Well, I say we're going to have a stallion, I'm not saying it's going to be Man o' War.”
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Looks to be hawking a book but it's nice to see some establishmenty types acknowledge the changing dynamics.

Wth does that last quote even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Wth does that last quote even mean?
    Rand Paul is going to lead, but he's not going to be completely dominant the way the horse Man O' War was when he was racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Rand Paul is going to lead, but he's not going to be completely dominant the way the horse Man O' War was when he was racing.
    ah, derp. I read man o war an I immediately thought of the jellyfish.

Yeah, that's certainly the most current reference. I thought of the oldest first, since that's what both of the others were named for:

That didn't make sense either.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-16-2014 at 09:57 PM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Yeah, that's certainly the most current reference. I thought of the oldest first, since that's what both of the others were named for:

That didn't make sense either.
    Yep, I assumed that was what he meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

If Rand wins, who will be his Secretariat of state?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

nm
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-16-2014 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Can't tell Secretariat from Seabiscuit so I'll shut up now

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh come on acp, I didn't even tell you my suggestion for secretary of defense yet. War Admiral.
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    Hopefully he will choose either Inkblots, Spikender, or mosquitobite.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Hopefully he will choose either Inkblots, Spikender, or mosquitobite.
    I would be ok with just about anyone here, we rub each other the wrong way sometimes, but Libety won't be just rhetoric at least.
    Last edited by Henry Rogue; 12-16-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Peace.

Oh come on acp, I didn't even tell you my suggestion for secretary of defense yet. War Admiral.
    Seabiscuit for Agriculture and Whirlaway for head of NOAA?

I would be ok with just about anyone here whose initials contain neither an M nor a C.
    FTFY
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-16-2014 at 10:46 PM.

FTFY
    Zippy it is then.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

There are a Slew of good candidates in Seattle.

I thought it a double entendre. The racing reference but also not a warmonger.

Btw, nice puns yall. Would your choices be Affirmed?
    Last edited by devil21; 12-17-2014 at 02:54 AM.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

McCotter used to piss on Ron Paul republicans before he was disgraced. Times have certainly changed, but I will never give this weasel a second chance. He's a bigger lowlife than Bentivolio, as far as I'm concerned.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post

Yawn. This is naive beyond tolerance. Don't get me wrong, I hope it proves to become reality, but I don't see it. There is an entire world arrayed against this. Unless some quantum shift occurs pretty well across the globe I am not seeing how this will become fact. The majority of the people in this nation (forget the rest of the world) are in deep and passionate love with their chains. They know the score with their status as slaves that are not called that. This is just like the battered housewife. Why, many ask, would any woman stay with a man who beats her? The answer is simple: the violent husband is familiar - a known quantity - and therefore far less frightening than the unknown "out there". But in the case of people and their slavery it is a whole lot worse. In addition to the fear of the unknown, there is the lassitude of the slave who may complain of his bondage, but when presented the clear opportunity for his freedom, balks. Why? Because to be free requires something of the slave that he has never possessed: responsibility for himself. Slaves are the responsibility of someone else and always have been. It may have sucked to be the senator's catamite or in a field picking cotton all day, but being told what to do, when to do it, and how, has its appeal. In some ways it is less work to be a slave than a free man - or perhaps I should say that the work of the free man is less attractive than that of the slave, in the eyes of the slave.

The majority of Americans love their chains and I don't think there is much that can force them out of that habit. And why should they when they perceive chains as freedom? If you could convince a man that his bone cancer was actually his perfect health, do you think for a moment he would let you anywhere near him with doctors? Not on your life.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Yawn. This is naive beyond tolerance. Don't get me wrong, I hope it proves to become reality, but I don't see it. There is an entire world arrayed against this. Unless some quantum shift occurs pretty well across the globe I am not seeing how this will become fact. The majority of the people in this nation (forget the rest of the world) are in deep and passionate love with their chains. They know the score with their status as slaves that are not called that. This is just like the battered housewife. Why, many ask, would any woman stay with a man who beats her? The answer is simple: the violent husband is familiar - a known quantity - and therefore far less frightening than the unknown "out there". But in the case of people and their slavery it is a whole lot worse. In addition to the fear of the unknown, there is the lassitude of the slave who may complain of his bondage, but when presented the clear opportunity for his freedom, balks. Why? Because to be free requires something of the slave that he has never possessed: responsibility for himself. Slaves are the responsibility of someone else and always have been. It may have sucked to be the senator's catamite or in a field picking cotton all day, but being told what to do, when to do it, and how, has its appeal. In some ways it is less work to be a slave than a free man - or perhaps I should say that the work of the free man is less attractive than that of the slave, in the eyes of the slave.

The majority of Americans love their chains and I don't think there is much that can force them out of that habit. And why should they when they perceive chains as freedom? If you could convince a man that his bone cancer was actually his perfect health, do you think for a moment he would let you anywhere near him with doctors? Not on your life.
    I think it depends on what we mean by "libertarian".

Ron Paul type libertarians (I'm including both minarchists and ancaps in this general category) that believe in the non-aggression principle and private property rights as the main basis for their libertarianism are unlikely to be terribly popular anytime soon.

Gary Johnson type "fiscally conservative/socially liberal" and support small government on a preponderance of the issues based mostly on utilitarianism* or a rejection of Christian moral norms** that are generally considered "libertarian" in the mainstream (despite being far less libertarian than theonomists) are probably becoming more popular, but so what?

*I know there are some very principled libertarians who are more in the first category yet are utilitarians. What I was talking about above is people who pick and choose based on what they think "works" and happen to come to small government conclusions a little more often than not (like Gary Johnson.) I am not talking about people who come to minarchist or ancap conclusions based on utilitarianism there.

**Here I'm talking about people who are OK with abortion and gay marriage "because those things aren't really that big of a moral deal" or whatever, rather than a principled committment to libertarian principles (via the first group.)
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post

How can you not see genius behind a man that looks like this? He clearly knows "what's up".