Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Men who like spicier food are 'alpha males' with higher levels of testosterone, French report

Men who like spicier food are 'alpha males' with higher levels of testosterone, French report

Men who like spicier food are 'alpha males' with higher levels of testosterone, French report claims

French gourmets have traditionally shunned hot, spicy food – so they may be a little piqued by a study indicating that curry-loving men have higher testosterone.

Scientists at the highly-respected University of Grenoble have published a report suggesting that regular consumption of chili peppers may raise levels of the hormone, which is believed to make men more adventurous, enterprising and sexually active.

Laurent Begue, one of the authors of the study, said: "These results are in line with a lot of research showing a link between testosterone and financial, sexual and behavioural risk-taking."

The research paper, titled "Some Like It Hot", is to be published in the US-based journal "Physiology and Behavior".
    Professor Begue said 114 men aged from 18 to 44, living in Grenoble, in south-eastern France, had taken part in the study.

Their testosterone levels were measured from saliva samples and they were presented with a plate of mashed potatoes and invited to add chili sauce to taste. Those who added the most hot sauce had the highest testosterone.
    The hormone drives men to seek thrills and new sensations, leading them to frequent "more stimulating social groups and take more risks," according to Professor Begue.

"In this case, it applies to risk-taking in taste," he said. "It is also possible that the regular consumption of spicy food contributes to increasing testosterone levels, although so far this has only been demonstrated on rodents."
    The effect of hot peppers on women has yet to be studied, but commentators say the research may inspire Gallic chefs to spice up their recipes and provoke a radical change in the eating habits of French men.

Unlike their British counterparts, relatively few have acquired a taste for hot curries. Many see chili as an assault on their taste buds that hinders enjoyment of the subtler, more delicate flavours of classic French cuisine.

They may now start to view spice as a virility test and attempt to prove their manliness by consuming eye-wateringly hot food.
    The American scientist James M. Dabbs described testosterone as the hormone of "heroes, rogues and lovers" in a book published in 2000. He also linked high testosterone with violent crime and sexual assaults.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...rt-claims.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Eat more peppers!

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Eat more peppers!
    tod evans, alpha male. I wonder how many more we have here at RPF...

I knew there was a reason I liked my Chili mouth-burningly spicy...

If your mouth ain't on fire, it ain't good eats.

Normally I dislike studies like this, but when they confirm that I am indeed an awesome person, they have to have some kind of merit to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post

Normally I dislike studies like this, but when they confirm that I am indeed an awesome person, they have to have some kind of merit to them.
    Yay!!! Two RPF alpha males.
    tod evans
    spikendrer

Response to a rep comment - alpha's an attitude, not a look.

Add me. Chilis are good for the health as are most spices. I rarely take vitamin supplements as I mostly stick with herbs and spices.

Curry has so much good in it, turmeric, cayenne, paprika, cinnamon... etc. It beats most people's medicine chest.

When I get a stuffed sinus I go to a good Thai restaurant and order a red curry dish "Thai hot." The waitresses will usually ask if I'm sure. It's usually a sweet torture eating it (not a macho thing,) but rather you feel the burn but also you can feel it working with your immune response. Afterward, from the endorphin rush that the peppers give I have a bit of a high, yet I feel calm.

Edit to add: I don't consider myself an alpha type. I prefer to do my own thing. If others aren't with me, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Add me.

Yay!!! Two Three RPF alpha males.
    tod evans
    spikendrer
    RJB

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

Men who like spicier food are 'alpha males' with higher levels of testosterone, French report claims
    Was down in your neck of the woods last week and my best friends ol' lady fixed some kick-ass taters-n-habaneros on the grill, went great with steak!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was in India, where it is customary to share your restaurant order with friends or associates at the table. The Indians believe that folks from the US are not able to handle spicy food, so they were always remarking how I would scarf down these hot dishes (they were not that spicy IMO). During one meal, one of my coworkers said "You are much more of a man than a lot of Americans - that dish you are eating is very spicy".

Until now, I'd often reflected back on that moment with a little chuckle. But now things are different... Now I know I'm amongst the RPF-alpha! <chest_out> Yes, my Indian co-worker - I AM MORE OF A MAN! </echo>

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Edit to add: I don't consider myself an alpha type. I prefer to do my own thing. If others aren't with me, meh.
    I'm pretty sure that's the archetype for an alpha male. I would think only betas go around all day wondering if they are alpha enough.

As to the topic, Ive always loved spicy stuff. But nowadays the only time I get anything really spicy is when we go to the local thai place, as when at home I have to cook for 3.

Yay!!! Three Five RPF alpha males.
    tod evans
    spikendrer
    RJB
    specs
    brushfire

Yay!!! Five Make that SIX RPF alpha males.
    tod evans
    spikendrer
    RJB
    specs
    brushfire
    He Who Shall Not Be Named (from a rep comment-Yes, you are alpha)

What does this study mean if I know females who love spicy foods?

Are they alpha males in spirit or literally?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Oh, sure--post something like that and everybody's a pepperbelly. But if you want believable claims, look to see who was freely admitting to it before it was cool.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...7-F*CK-the-FLU
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

[QUOTE=Suzanimal;5731184]Yay!!! Seven RPF alpha males.
    tod evans
    spikendrer
    RJB
    specs
    brushfire
    acptulsa

What does this study mean if I know females who love spicy foods?

Are they alpha males in spirit or literally?
    I dunno. I love spicy food.

Lol

I keep several little jars of flavor in the fridge..
    Everyone else here likes bland.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't forget coastie, VIDEODROME, phil4paul, danno and...

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Hot peppers FTW!!!
    Also Deborah K, though I don't think I'd call her an alpha male.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Two words...Thai...Hot. Yum!

]Yay!!! Nine RPF alpha males.
    tod evans
    spikendrer
    RJB
    specs
    brushfire
    acptulsa
    Phil
    Pete

Spicy food is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

[QUOTE=Suzanimal;5731229]]Yay!!! Ten RPF alpha males.
    tod evans
    spikendrer
    RJB
    specs
    brushfire
    acptulsa
    Phil
    Pete
    Bad Giraffe

Bad Giraffe
    How does he get hot peppers to grow way up in the tops of trees?

Yay!!! We're up to ELEVEN RPF alpha males. Woot!

tod evans
    spikendrer
    RJB
    specs
    brushfire
    acptulsa
    Phil
    Pete
    Bad Giraffe
    Cap

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post

tod evans, alpha male. I wonder how many more we have here at RPF...
    I can attest DH loves his spicy foods. Especially hot buffalo wings.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I can attest DH loves his spicy foods. Especially hot buffalo wings.
    Good enough for me.

Yay!!! We're up to Twelve RPF alpha males. Woot!

tod evans
    spikendrer
    RJB
    specs
    brushfire
    acptulsa
    Phil
    Pete
    Bad Giraffe
    Cap
    AF

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Long necks reach deep into pepper bushes. Also, getting down on his knees, a giraffe can even pull peppers out of deep armadillo holes.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

If you want some seriously spicy curry, try authentic Malaysian... Definitely spicier than most Indian/Thai you'd have out to eat at a restaurant. I used to use it as a hangover cure in college.
    Last edited by dannno; 12-16-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Yay!!! We're up to 13 RPF alpha males. Woot!

tod evans
    spikendrer
    RJB
    specs
    brushfire
    acptulsa
    Phil
    Pete
    Bad Giraffe
    Cap
    AF
    dannno (lucky 13)

If you want some seriously spicy curry, try authentic Malaysian... Definitely spicier than most Indian/Thai you'd have out to eat at a restaurant. I used to use it as a hangover cure.
    Korean works well. But those used to Mexican or Indian be advised--orientals use not tobasco, which uses a vinegar base, but cayenne-infused oil-based sauce. Water does not wash that off the roof of your mouth.

So, if it's only a little bit hot, keep eating. It'll grow on you.

Actually it's, if the crown of your head isn't tingling and sweating, it's not hot.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast