Thread: FDA Reverses Its Position on Daily Aspirin

FDA Reverses Its Position on Daily Aspirin

FDA Reverses Its Position on Daily Aspirin

By Dr. Mercola

If you haven’t had a heart attack, step away from the aspirin bottle… If you are one of the 40 million Americans who take an aspirin every day, you may want to heed the latest warning from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

After many decades of promoting aspirin, the FDA now says that if you have not experienced a heart problem, you should not be taking a daily aspirin—even if you have a family history of heart disease. This represents a significant departure from FDA’s prior position on aspirin for the prevention of heart attacks.

On its website, the FDA now says:

“FDA has concluded that the data do not support the use of aspirin as a preventive medication by people who have not had a heart attack, stroke or cardiovascular problems, a use that is called ‘primary prevention.’ In such people, the benefit has not been established but risks — such as dangerous bleeding into the brain or stomach — are still present.”

Their announcement was prompted by Bayer’s request to change its aspirin label to indicate it can help prevent heart attacks in healthy individuals. Aspirin generated $1.27 billion in sales for Bayer last year, and from Bayer’s request, it appears they want everyone to be taking their drug.

But the FDA says “not so fast”—and rightly so. Evidence in support of using aspirin preventatively has gone from weak to weaker to nonexistent. This is why I’ve been advising against it for more than a decade. It looks as though aspirin, even “low-dose aspirin” (LDA), may do far more harm than good.

In fact, it is debatable whether or not aspirin has ANY protective benefits against cardiovascular disease, even if you have suffered a heart attack or stroke. Recent scientific studies have uncovered a number of serious side effects, suggesting that whatever aspirin may offer may be overshadowed by its risks, especially when safer natural alternatives exist.

As is true for nearly all medications, the longer we watch for side effects, the more we tend to find—even for drugs like aspirin that have been around for more than 100 years. Just because aspirin is an over-the-counter drug and has been around for more than a century does not mean that it’s harmless.

Aspirin May Conceal a Cardiac Event in Progress

Roughly 800,000 Americans die from cardiovascular disease annually, which includes heart attacks and stroke. This is why heart health has been such a major focus, and why aspirin was hailed as a “wonder drug” by those who believed it was a safe and effective preventative. But that ship has sailed.

Nearly 10 years ago, Dr. John G. F. Cleland, a cardiologist from the University of Hull in the UK, wrote an excellent article published in the British Journal of Medicine casting doubt upon the efficacy of aspirin therapy for prevention of heart attacks.

Based on a series of meta-analyses from the Antithrombotic Trialists’ Collaboration, which is an enormous body of research following more than 100,000 patients at high risk for cardiac events, Dr. Cleland concluded that aspirin therapy was not saving lives. Rather, aspirin seems to change the way vascular events present themselves.

The number of non-fatal events may be reduced, but the number of sudden deaths is actually increased, because what most physicians don’t realize is that surprisingly aspirin can mask a cardiac event in progress.

Dr. Cleland also found that studies touting aspirin’s benefits are seriously flawed and interpretation of those studies is biased. Since Cleland’s original study, a deluge of scientific studies have further exposed aspirin’s failure, which I have summarized in the next few sections.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Peer reviewed research =
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

"For every PhD., there is an equal and opposite PhD." -- Gibson’s Law

If I happen to intake aspartame aspirin is the only thing that seems to help me stop having chest pains. I don't care what anyone says about I will take it if I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    If I happen to intake aspartame aspirin is the only thing that seems to help me stop having chest pains. I don't care what anyone says about I will take it if I need to.

You should try Taurine. That is, what some call an antidote to aspartame and MSG poisoning. It has worked for me (I take 500 mg)--I would get tightness in my chest (feeling like I was having a heart attack), difficulty breathing and severe migraine would follow.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    You should try Taurine. ... severe migraine.
    I will keep this in mind, THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    I will keep this in mind, THANKS
    You're welcome. I hope it helps.

This is how real science functions. As more evidence comes in, positions are revised. Which is much different than simply asserting that everything that doesn't agree with what you tell your cult is "bought and paid for."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It took them 25 years to figure it out.

The Physicians' Health Study—organised by Charles Hennekens of Harvard University and published in 1989—involved more than 22,000 healthy American doctors. It showed that an aspirin a day reduces the incidence of heart attacks by half, and that the drug can also help to prevent thrombosis and strokes.

This was followed up by a so-called “meta-analysis” of clinical trials of aspirin published in 1994 by Richard Peto and Rory Collins of Oxford University. They reviewed the results of 300 published trials of aspirin, involving some 140,000 patients—the largest number of patients ever reviewed at one time. The message was clear: if people under 70 who are at risk of heart disease were to take aspirin regularly, the number of deaths from such disease across the world could be reduced by 100,000 a year. Many people, including a lot of doctors, now begin their day with an aspirin.
    http://www.economist.com/node/153743

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    This is how real science functions. As more evidence comes in, positions are revised. Which is much different than simply asserting that everything that doesn't agree with what you tell your cult is "bought and paid for."
    Pharmacutical giants conspire to entice FDA (housed with former pharmacutical executives) to recommend them million in profits in dangerous OTC's for millions of people on weak evidence:

regulatory capture aka racketeering = real science

mkay

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Vitamin E (Uniq E) from AC grace company will do what your aspirin does but better... itll keep the blood cells from clumping together. You can find it at the Vitamin Shoppe.. its not cheap, but its the only vitamin I dont mind taking.. everything else is garbage imo.

Aspirin is useless for a quarter of patients and hundreds could be dying each year as a result

Aspirin is useless for a quarter of patients and hundreds could be dying each year as a result, doctors warn

By Steph Cockroft for MailOnline

Aspirin is pointless for a quarter of patients and hundreds could be needlessly dying as a result, doctors have warned.

They say that 16million Britons may not gain any benefit at all from taking a daily dose of the drug, which is mainly used to thin the blood.

Those at risk of heart attacks and strokes are also thought to be around four times more likely to suffer a fatal attack than those for whom aspirin is effective.

Scientists have now developed a £10 urine test that can tell whether the drug is effective for individual patients.

Doctors want patients to be tested for aspirin resistance before they are prescribed the drug.

Dr Paul Ames, a consultant at St George's Hospital, London, believes the new test could have a significant impact on the health of hundreds of thousands of patients.

He told The Daily Telegraph: 'Doctors need to realise that aspirin, the cornerstone of much cardiac therapy, is not working for up to 25 per cent of those taking it.

'Then there are the side effects, such as ulcers, to consider.'

He added that aspirin-resistant patients are twice as likely to suffer a heart attack and almost four times more likely to suffer cardiovascular death.

Continued...