Thread: In a first, more Americans support gun rights than gun control, poll finds

In a first, more Americans support gun rights than gun control, poll finds

By a margin of 52 percent to 46 percent, Americans say protecting gun rights is more important than gun control, according to the Pew Research Center. Opinion has shifted markedly since the Sandy Hook massacre two years ago.

WASHINGTON — Almost two years after the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., Americans' support for gun rights is rising.

By a margin of 52 percent to 46 percent, Americans say protecting the rights of gun owners is more important than gun control, according to a survey by the Pew Research Center released Wednesday. It is the first time Pew found more support for gun ownership than gun control in more than two decades of surveys on the issue.

“Support for gun rights has edged up from earlier this year, and marks a substantial shift in attitudes since shortly after the Newtown school shooting,” the Pew report says. The second anniversary of the massacre is this Sunday.

Right after the mass shooting, in which a gunman killed 27 people and then himself, the balance of opinion favored gun control. But since January 2013, support for gun rights over gun control has risen from 45 percent to 52 percent, while the percentage who prioritize gun control has gone down, from 51 percent to 46 percent.

Among African-Americans, Pew found a dramatic shift in opinion. A majority of blacks, 54 percent, now say gun ownership does more to protect people than to endanger personal safety. Two years ago, only 29 percent of black Americans held that view.

But the portion of the sample identifying as African-American was small: Only 132 out of 1,507 people surveyed were black non-Hispanic, with a margin of error of plus or minus 9.8 percentage points.

Among whites, pro-gun views have also risen, but not as sharply. Some 62 percent now see guns as a protection, up from 54 percent in December 2012, according to Pew. The margin of error for the white sample is plus or minus 3.4 percentage points. The survey was taken between Dec. 3 and 7.

Pew also found that partisan differences over guns have widened in the past two years.

“As was the case in December 2012, a majority of Democrats (60 percent) say guns do more to put people’s safety at risk, while only about a third (35 percent) say they do more to protect people from becoming crime victims,” Pew reports. “By contrast, 8 in 10 Republicans say guns do more to protect people from becoming crime victims, up 17 points from December 2012.”
    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Deco...ll-finds-video

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Most Americans tend to be very utilitarian - if it doesn't work, they lose interest in the idea.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

I'll shoot to that.

I like this news, especially the apparent shift in opinion by the black community. IMO, it's an indicator of just how bad the police state is getting.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Yeah the problem is the lawbreakers (Congress) don't give a $#@! about any polls.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Good news, but I am skeptical. Most people I talk to believe that guns are mostly unnecessary, and the 2nd amendment is a relic of the past.

Cue wholesale kindergarten slaughter in 4... 3... 2...
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    I like this news, especially the apparent shift in opinion by the black community. IMO, it's an indicator of just how bad the police state is getting.
    I hope you are on the money here. One of the truly great ironies of 20th century politics has been the wholesale rejection of firearms by two of the period's biggest groups to suffer as the result of "gun control": Blacks and Jews. Having grow'd up in NYC, I was well marinaded in both groups and they each seem to break into two violently opposing camps. The much smaller are those whose brains are used as things other than hat racks. They are strongly in favor of RKBA. The other, vastly larger group, is opposed with mindless, bitter vehemence. The interesting thing in my encounters with those of the latter ilk is that they, too, spearate into two widely opposing sorts. The smaller of those subgroups, when approached properly, will at least get that dumbfounded in their eyes as deer in the headlights. Some will even at least admit you have a point, and others still will say to the effect that they'd never looked at it that way before. Those of the latter just want all the more to burn you alive with gasoline and a match.

Quote Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
    Good news, but I am skeptical. Most people I talk to believe that guns are mostly unnecessary, and the 2nd amendment is a relic of the past.
    See my point, above.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Yeah the problem is the lawbreakers (Congress) don't give a $#@! about any polls.
    A valid concern and if it goes beyond a point there will be a shooting war on our hands. While I do not relish this possibility, it seems ever more clearly it is the only way we will be able to get back the land. Theye are NOT going to halt just because we stand before them with pissed off looks on our faces, shouting harsh words at them. This game is very real and stands to get more real by the minute. When you have as much of yourself invested in an endeavor as do Theye, you are not likely to simply let it all blow away in the wind at the first sign of resistance. Wresting this beast loose from the grip it has on YOUR ass is going to require bloodletting, I strongly suspect.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Doesn't matter what poll results may be, our rights are guaranteed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

gun control = those that control the guns, control the lives of those that do not.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Cue wholesale kindergarten slaughter in 4... 3... 2...
    idunno, i think that's what sandy hook was supposed to be but it backfired. another mass shooting in a gubmint-mandated "gun free zone" might just break the libtard camel's back
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834