Thread: [Video] Thomas Massie Questions Jonathan Gruber at Oversight Hearing 12/9/14

[Video] Thomas Massie Questions Jonathan Gruber at Oversight Hearing 12/9/14

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's a must watch.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Beat me to it. I'll post Gowdy and Jordan, as they were good too.

Can someone educate me on what purpose these hearings serve except for the Congressmen to shout at the person testifying? Does this have any legal standing? It's not like they can sentence the person or bring any sort of legal action, right?

Quote Originally Posted by lib3rtarian View Post
    Can someone educate me on what purpose these hearings serve except for the Congressmen to shout at the person testifying? Does this have any legal standing? It's not like they can sentence the person or bring any sort of legal action, right?
    The guy has been fired from 2 consulting gigs over the ACA video remarks and I'd say his days at MIT are limited.

It's also educating the public and a nail in the coffin of Obamacare.

-t

Hearings are a matter of public record so this also serves as a way of getting the person testifying to take a public stand on issues. Massie gave Gruber the choice between disavowing his statements in support of social engineering in his past work, or affirming that he believes that social engineering is justifiable. Brilliant.

If you missed it, it's up on the C-SPAN website now:
    http://www.c-span.org/video/?323115-...are-enrollment

One rep nailed it:
    Before obamacare 49 million people didn't have health insurance
    after the law 6.9 million enrolled
    4 million lost their employer sponsored health care (and many lost FT jobs becoming part time workers or laid off due to it)
    most people had their premiums double or worse
    most people had their deductibles quadruple

-t

The exchange starting @7:21 is interesting and telling

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by lib3rtarian View Post
    What?! How can you even ask such silly questions?
    Don't you remember what a great job they did on the IRS email scandal?
    Have you forgotten how effectively they dealt with that problem before moving on to other matters?

Oh, wait ...
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

The Gov't is supposed to keep elderly people alive no matter what the cost? Oh no, should we "let them die?"
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

I guess somebody needs to tell Massie he was just grandstanding.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I guess somebody needs to tell Massie he was just grandstanding.
    I'm sure he already knows.

Grandstanding has its uses, as far as it goes - which is fortunate, because it's about the only thing that Congress has the teeth for ...

WOW! Incredibly good!
    Something rare you will never hear from me: I think my tax dollars were well spent this morning!
    Something rarer: I think I'm going to re-watch a 4+ hour congressional hearing again tonight...

The last hour was really good. Go to 3:35:00 - anyone know who the woman in the green dress, black leggings, blue blazer, pearls and mousy brown hair is? Sitting behind the witnesses. I think there might be a letter of resignation or divorce papers served tomm...

The only thing that could have happened better is if 2 witnesses had been lead out in cuffs under charges of contempt of Congress!

-t

It helps to watch more than once and for different things.

At the beginning of the hearing, when informed, the HHS lady was accosted with - we subpoenaed you and it was due 6 days ago. At which point her 2 advisers went jaw drop, Bambi eyes, WTF mode looking at each other.

Third hr? e-mail stream. She had threatened to fire or destroy her #2 if things didn't roll out on schedule.

Pointed out that her answers were cooperative if asked by a dem. stonewalled if asked by a repub. actually both of them.

-t

"We have nothing to fear except our own unwillingness to defend what is naturally ours, our God-given rights. We have nothing to fear that should cause us to forget or relinquish our rights as free men and women. To thrive, we must believe in ourselves again, and we must never, never trade our liberty for any fleeting promise of security." - Rand Paul