Thread: 11th Cir: Florida Law requiring Drug Tests of Welfare Recipients Violates 4th Amendment

11th Cir: Florida Law requiring Drug Tests of Welfare Recipients Violates 4th Amendment

Florida statute requiring suspicionless drug testing was unconstitutional in violation of the Fourth Amendment

Civil Rights - Florida statute requiring suspicionless drug testing was unconstitutional in violation of the Fourth Amendment

Encouraging employability, protecting children, and conserving public funds were not special needs that justified suspicionless searches of all applicants for benefits under the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, and therefore, the Florida statute requiring applicants submit to suspicionless drug testing as a condition of eligibility for TANF benefits was unconstitutional for violating the applicants' Fourth Amendment right to be free from unreasonable searches. The state's concerns were general, rather than specific or special to TANF applicants. The state did not quantify the amount of TANF money that was used on the purchase or use of drugs. A study found that 5.2% of applicants tested positive for illegal use of controlled substances. The brief implementation of Florida's testing found 2.67% applicants tested positive.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Okay. I'm against the drug war and all. But why can you be drug tested to apply for a government job, but you can't be drug tested to apply for government benefits?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Okay. I'm against the drug war and all. But why can you be drug tested to apply for a government job, but you can't be drug tested to apply for government benefits?
    start drug testing cops and politicians then i might get on board with this...

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    OK!!!! Show me where to sign the petition.

So why is it OK to violate MY 4th Amendment rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    just pass a police dog by them when they are at the welfare office.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    TBF I think cops are drug tested, though undercover NARCs are allowed to take drugs to blend in with dealers...they just have to report it immediately and they are fine.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

Oh, c'mon now , Cap'n......

The Fourth is out the window, and has been for a very long time. You should know in your line of business.

14 USC 89 ownz you.
    EX-USCG

What is the difference between a hero and a cop? A hero will not hesitate to risk his life to protect your safety, a cop will not hesitate to risk your life to protect his safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Authoritarian leftists. Political prisoners. Gulags. Where are we again?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by willwash View Post
    TBF I think cops are drug tested, though undercover NARCs are allowed to take drugs to blend in with dealers...they just have to report it immediately and they are fine.
    cops are drug tested?...when..where?...and for what substances?...

did Wilson get drug tested after his 'justified' murder?....ha.

I'm sorry to break it to you but you don't have any rights.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    I'm sorry to break it to you but you don't have any rights.
    Yeah yeah yeah, I know... *sigh*

Silly mundane me.

If this were allowed, then you could go in there stagger-ass drunk and still get your check.

But have a little THC in your piss, and oh hell no. No check for you.

Racist!

Thing is it's horribly impractical. It ends up costing twice as much to do as you actually save. So the only reason to do it is 'social programming,' and it ends up being a petty expensive program. Sure you can argue that welfare is voluntary, but it's the government. Give them XYZ power over welfare, and before too long they'll figure a way to have the entire country on welfare just so they can apply their rules.