Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A "Profound" interview w/ Rand Paul on Hardball (12/3/2014)

A "Profound" interview w/ Rand Paul on Hardball (12/3/2014)

Going on now - will update with YouTube when posted.

Topics include war and Eric Gardner verdict

Chris Matthews has been waiting to interview Rand for months and seems super excited about this "exclusive". This could produce some fantastic 'highlight reel' soundbites

update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkk1ZtfG40E
    Last edited by jct74; 12-05-2014 at 10:58 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just missed it...hope the Tube sounds come soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash (R) MI-3rd
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

THE FUTURE OF THE GOP = R[∃vo˩]ution 2.0: Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NOVALibertarian View Post
    First they ignore you= Ron Paul, 2007-2008
    Then they laugh at you= Ron Paul, 2012
    Then they fight you= Rand Paul, 2014-2015
    And then you win= Rand Paul, November 8th, 2016

It was a great interview. Chris Matthews is a great non enemy for Rand to have, and you can tell he really respects Rand; earlier in his show he was hyping it as an "exclusive" interview.

Great interview. Though cant stand Mathews interview style asking 10 questions in one. What do ya think of our invading Iraq 2 times, Libya, blah blah blah....why are conservatives more hawkish than the democrats??? Rand sure can focus.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

Quote Originally Posted by seapilot View Post
    Great interview. Though cant stand Mathews interview style asking 10 questions in one. What do ya think of our invading Iraq 2 times, Libya, blah blah blah....why are conservatives more hawkish than the democrats??? Rand sure can focus.
    Well, the 10 questions in one worked out this time because the answer to all of them was "hell no, we should have thought more before going in, and we're worse off now because of it"
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Rand really has been doing a great job with the media lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash (R) MI-3rd
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

THE FUTURE OF THE GOP = R[∃vo˩]ution 2.0: Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NOVALibertarian View Post
    First they ignore you= Ron Paul, 2007-2008
    Then they laugh at you= Ron Paul, 2012
    Then they fight you= Rand Paul, 2014-2015
    And then you win= Rand Paul, November 8th, 2016

Chris Matthews is easy though, he is one of Rand's biggest fans in the MSM
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rachel Maddow was nice to Rand before he won his Senate primary too.

Rand announced his Senate exploratory committee on the freaking Rachel Maddow show of all places. Then, immediately after winning his primary, Rand went on Maddow again - presumably for a victory lap - and Maddow did everything she could to try and make Rand look like a racist. That's still all partisan Democrats on the internet can talk about.

Chris Matthews has been saying nice things about Rand for some time. He predicted Rand would be the GOP nominee. I believe they were seated together or met at a dinner event and Matthews said nice things. And Matthews gave Rand a good interview here and let him get out his message without giving him much in the way of push back (even as Rand argued against things like cigarette taxation and blamed big government policy for the death of innocent black people by over-aggressive police officers).

I just don't see how you can trust anyone at MSNBC in any election against a Democrat though.

In the meantime, that interview seemed almost orchestrated entirely to make Rand play well with the MSNBC audience and highlight 'the divide' in the GOP. There were ABSOLUTELY ZERO hardball questions in that interview considering he was speaking to MSNBC's audience. (Irony.) I suspect they're trying to play up the GOP rift and Rand serves that role well as a good spokesman for the non-interventionist movement helping give it credibility. (He also probably draws viewership.) I wonder how much of that interview content (or lack of arguing against anything Rand said) was promised before Rand would agree to go on.

If you're trying to reach Democrats I suppose MSNBC is an avenue Rand can take to talk to left-leaning and younger voters if MSNBC is willing to offer up 'gimme' interviews... but I'm not sure you keep MSNBC's viewership on-board the second the primary is over and MSNBC talks about nothing but abortion, environmentalism and the CRA (assuming Rand wins, of course).

Dividing the GOP is a risky strategy, if Rand loses, the liberty faction gets buried for a while. If Rand wins, the DNC gets buried for a long long time.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    Dividing the GOP is a risky strategy, if Rand loses, the liberty faction gets buried for a while. If Rand wins, the DNC gets buried for a long long time.
    Fortuna favet audaci...
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

Quote Originally Posted by Rede View Post
    Chris Matthews has been saying nice things about Rand for some time. He predicted Rand would be the GOP nominee. I believe they were seated together or met at a dinner event and Matthews said nice things. And Matthews gave Rand a good interview here and let him get out his message without giving him much in the way of push back (even as Rand argued against things like cigarette taxation and blamed big government policy for the death of innocent black people by over-aggressive police officers).

I just don't see how you can trust anyone at MSNBC in any election against a Democrat though.
    You should go watch Matthews interview with randals Dem opponent in that senate race. Matthews not only defended Randal, but demo'd Conway.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    You should go watch Matthews interview with randals Dem opponent in that senate race. Matthews not only defended Randal, but demo'd Conway.
    The look on Conway's face was priceless -- he never saw it coming. Matthews' sucker-punching the Conman is a cherished campaign memory for me; I definitely second the recommendation to watch the video.
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

"Family Court" for sexual abuse charges?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by seapilot View Post
    Someone needs to explain to Matthews the history of the progressive era. Progressives in both parties and some third parties (Bull Moose) pushed for foreign military intervention abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    He virtually made Conway cry and look like a petulant child. It was hilarious.

Did he get a tingle running up his leg?
    Freedom Report

Twitter Page

"I am convinced that there are more threats to American liberty within the 10 mile radius of my office on Capitol Hill than there are on the rest of the globe." -- Ron Paul

Rand Paul on Hardball with Chris Matthews

Last edited by twomp; 12-04-2014 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feelgood View Post
    Did he get a tingle running up his leg?
    In all seriousness, DEFINITELY.

Specifically at the very end of the interview, the moment Rand kinda/sorta/almost choked up telling the story about the woman soldier he met last week...

"I meet women; I met a woman last week and she gave me her picture and it was her in fatigues and her with her weapon and she said she loved the military and she said that when you see Senator Gillibrand - and it chokes me up just thinking about it - she says when you see Senator Gillibrand give her this picture to show her that I'm proud of both me [Rand] and her [Gillibrand] for leading the effort on this."

For those saying they loathe Matthews (and/or think he's an evil partisan hack like Maddow), I honestly think that Matthews is going to be one of Rand's most vocal "supporters" in the MSM - certainly during the upcoming primaries and if it's Rand v. Clinton, quite possibly during the general.

Matthews, at his core, is one of the most honestly+openly+genuinely "political" talking heads on TV - and by "political" I mean, the only thing he really seems to care about, be interested in, respect and/or think matters is how a politician's actions, statements, positions, and personas play politically. And on this level, Matthews definitely has real/legitimate respect for Rand... because Rand plays the political game better than anyone else in Washington save Obama circa 2008.

Last but not least, Matthew's son is a "big fan" of Rand as well

solid gold. Sounded like two rational Americans talking.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I thought he said he wasn't going back on MSNBC until Madcow apologized?

Full interview:

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Is Matthews coming around?

I'd assume he agrees with Rand on all of those points, but he'd never endorse Rand over Hillary.

Good interview though.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Is Matthews coming around?

I'd assume he agrees with Rand on all of those points, but he'd never endorse Rand over Hillary.

Good interview though.
    Endorse??? Probably not.

But remember, Matthews does not like the Clintons. If Rand's in the general, Matthews will probably be pretty neutral. And that is a huge help since the left's fear-mongering is what drives their turnout.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Endorse??? Probably not.

But remember, Matthews does not like the Clintons. If Rand's in the general, Matthews will probably be pretty neutral. And that is a huge help since the left's fear-mongering is what drives their turnout.
    The left's fear-mongering isn't matched by the right's fear-mongering....

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast