Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cop cleared in chokehold death of Eric Garner

Cop cleared in chokehold death of Eric Garner

A Staten Island grand jury cleared an NYPD cop Wednesday in the chokehold death of Eric Garner during his caught-on-video arrest for peddling loose cigarettes, The Post has learned.

The panel voted a “no-bill” and dismissed all potential charges against Officer Daniel Pantaleo, sources said.
    The blockbuster decision capped weeks of investigation by the special grand jury, which was empaneled in September specifically to review evidence in Garner’s racially charged death.

It was unclear exactly what charges prosecutors asked the grand jury to consider filing, or how the vote went.
    A Staten Island grand jury cleared an NYPD cop Wednesday in the chokehold death of Eric Garner during his caught-on-video arrest for peddling loose cigarettes, The Post has learned. The panel voted a “no-bill” and dismissed all potential charges against Officer Daniel Pantaleo, sources said. The blockbuster decision capped weeks of investigation by the special grand jury, which was empaneled in September specifically to review evidence in Garner’s racially charged death. It was unclear exactly what charges prosecutors asked the grand jury to consider filing, or how the vote went.

Under New York law, an indictment must be agreed upon by at least 12 members of a grand jury, which can have up to 23 members.

Cell-phone video of Garner’s July 17 arrest shows Pantaleo wrestling him to the sidewalk on Bay Street, with the white cop’s arms wrapped around the neck of the black suspect.

On the ground, Garner was heard repeatedly yelling “I can’t breathe!” as Pantaleo and other cops held him down and handcuffed him.

The Medical Examiner’s Office ruled Garner’s death a homicide caused by “compression of neck (chokehold), compression of chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police.”

read the rest here:
    http://nypost.com/2014/12/03/cop-cle...okehold-death/

Now waiting for the team of copsuckers to come here and say that the guy deserved to die because he was breaking the law and selling cigarettes illegally.
    Last edited by twomp; 12-03-2014 at 01:41 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

damn...whats up with tobacco products these days?......this $#@! is getting people murdered.

on a side note....my understanding is he did it to himself, but i'll wait for the DFF opinion first.

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    damn...whats up with tobacco products these days?......this $#@! is getting people murdered.

on a side note....my understanding is he did it to himself...
    Haven't you heard? Cigarettes are bad for your health.

//
    Last edited by JK/SEA; 12-03-2014 at 01:51 PM.

//
    Last edited by JK/SEA; 12-03-2014 at 01:53 PM.

//
    Last edited by JK/SEA; 12-03-2014 at 01:53 PM.

On a side note:

It's incredibly rare for a Grand Jury to reject an indictment. Like 99% rare.

Former New York state Chief Judge Sol Wachtler famously remarked that a prosecutor could persuade a grand jury to “indict a ham sandwich.” The data suggests he was barely exaggerating: According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. attorneys prosecuted 162,000 federal cases in 2010, the most recent year for which we have data. Grand juries declined to return an indictment in 11 of them.
    source: http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/f...darren-wilson/

This makes 2 Grand Juries NOT indicting 2 cops in the past 2 weeks. If you know a cop, tell him/her to buy a lottery ticket. They are beating the odds!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mike Brown Case, not sure...

This case, cops killed him for nothing really. I guess they killed him t protect state tax revenues or something. Government=Good, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    On a side note:

It's incredibly rare for a Grand Jury to reject an indictment. Like 99% rare.

source: http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/f...darren-wilson/

This makes 2 Grand Juries NOT indicting 2 cops in the past 2 weeks. If you know a cop, tell him/her to buy a lottery ticket. They are beating the odds!

Makes me want to know what happened in those 11 no-bills from 2010. Whats the over under on how many of those 11 are employed by the state or have fascist ties to the state?

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    Mike Brown Case, not sure...

This case, cops killed him for nothing really. I guess they killed him t protect state tax revenues or something. Government=Good, or something.
    they didn't kill him for nothing...it was over cigs for chrissakes. What are you, one of those anti-smoking nazi's?...plus he was a big scary black guy....sound familiar?

Eric Garner did the choking to himself.

There might be a noisy protest in the streets over it, while the NYPD sits back watching and laughing over getting away with murder again, and thinking about the sweet overtime pay they will get from being out there to keep the "animals" in line.

And people wonder why stuff sometimes gets burned down (not that I advocate it, unless proper targets are chosen, which of course is impossible to carry out).

He wasn't even selling loosies...

I honestly am shocked. I shouldn't be, I know. But there's no ambiguity. There's no conflicting witnesses; it's on tape. This man was murdered and we can all watch it on youtube. He was choked to death by another man on tape. The other man knew what would happen when he used a choke hold (as in, a hold that chokes, as in a hold that cuts off air supply) like that. Even the thugs at the NYPD know that choke holds kill, that's why they supposedly banned them.

I can't $#@!ing believe this.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

Double post.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I wonder what charges the prosecution went for? They could have shot for the moon and struck out, instead of going for the obvious low hanging fruit.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Milgram/Obedience to Authority/stupid people.

Last edited by Lucille; 12-03-2014 at 02:43 PM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

SMH

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...rguson-erupts/

How often do grand juries indict police officers? Almost never.
    How often do grand juries indict non-police officers? Almost always.
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-1...old-death-case

A Staten Island grand jury has decided not to indict white NYPD officer Daniel Panateleo, according to NY1, who allegedly used a banned chokehold and killed Eric Garner, a 400lb black man, who was stopped on suspicion of selling loose cigarettes. Eric Garner's son has called for peace and hopes there is no Ferguson-like response...
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Wellll...seeing the responses I have of late from folks on the 'net, seems as those there is always a way to find an officer not guilty of even the most offensive behavior because, Ya know, the big fellow asked for it by not , um, cooperating to the fullest. Seems almost like a coordinated effort to run these high profile cases in such a manner so as to leave a certain residual idea behind so as to keep the naysayers in line.

And just to test my theory I looked into a few articles, and yep, same sorts of folks there to excuse the officers because no one should resist an officer's commands.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

If the prosecution attempted to get a murder 1 or murder 2 charge, they were probably overzealous. But I don't have all the details.

Libertarian Party Mises Caucus
    "The libertarian wing of the Libertarian Party."

Platform · Our Actions

Mises PAC
    (Libertarian Party membership not required)

#TakeHumanAction · Donate · Merchandise

HOME · Facebook · Twitter · YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    He wasn't even selling loosies...

I honestly am shocked. I shouldn't be, I know. But there's no ambiguity. There's no conflicting witnesses; it's on tape. This man was murdered and we can all watch it on youtube. He was choked to death by another man on tape. The other man knew what would happen when he used a choke hold (as in, a hold that chokes, as in a hold that cuts off air supply) like that. Even the thugs at the NYPD know that choke holds kill, that's why they supposedly banned them.

I can't $#@!ing believe this.
    Again... if a 'civilian' choked to death someone on the street on tape, it'd be the jail time. If a mundane choked a COP to death?? Summary execution....
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

"Every attack on an officer of the law is an attack on our state, our country and civilized society," Corbett said in a statement. "The incident in Blooming Grove shows, once again, that our first responders face constant danger in order that the rest of us may live in peace and safety."
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's those magical costumes!

There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

I think he will probably end up getting kicked off the PD for excessive force.

Pantaleo, according to a statement from his union, the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, said: "I became a police officer to help people and to protect those who can't protect themselves. It is never my intention to harm anyone and I feel very bad about the death of Mr. Garner. My family and I include him and his family in our prayers and I hope that they will accept my personal condolences for their loss."
    Patrolmen's Benevolent Association President Patrick Lynch said "there are no winners" from the grand jury decision.

"There was a loss of life that both a family and a police officer will always have to live with," he said.

"It is clear that the officer's intention was to do nothing more than take Mr. Garner into custody as instructed and that he used the take-down technique that he learned in the academy when Mr. Garner refused," Lynch added. "No police officer starts a shift intending to take another human being's life and we are all saddened by this tragedy."
    "When something happens, to have a video record of it, from the police officers' perspective, is going to help in many, many ways," Mayor Bill de Blasio told reporters. "And God forbid, when something goes wrong, we are going to have a clearer understanding of what happened."

Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    "Every attack on an officer of the law is an attack on our state, our country and civilized society," Corbett said in a statement. "The incident in Blooming Grove shows, once again, that our first responders face constant danger in order that the rest of us may live in peace and safety."
    Where have I heard that??

An attack on the king's solders, is an attack on the king himself!

- Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    If the prosecution attempted to get a murder 1 or murder 2 charge, they were probably overzealous. But I don't have all the details.
    Yeah, that was probably it huh? I mean if it was me or you choking someone to death on videotape, we wouldn't get indicted either right? Copsucker.

Sounds like they were deliberating on some type of homicide. I haven't found the instructions yet, but their vote was dependent on whether or not the cop had malicious intent.

What was that old saying soap, ballot, jury and ammo box? i wouldn't be shocked if those facing arrest start opening fire, they are being left with few options.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast